Cheers

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by MikaelaArsenault, Jul 11, 2018.

1. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

The Lilith guest appearances on Frasier were always some of the best entertainment. That relationship never gets old..

2. Jaap74

Jaap74 Forum Resident

Just started rewatching Cheers and for me it hasn't held up as well as I thought it would.....

3. dvcarrick

dvcarrick Forum Resident

Funny I’ve recently started rewatching Cheers... already on Season 4 and it’s actually better than I originally remember... Coach was a fantastic character!

4. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Coach was a great character, and the acting of Nicholas Colasanto brought a charm to the character that might not have been there otherwise. His acting in the more serious scenes, like the episode with his daughter or when he was talking to Diane about Sam drinking again, showed how much depth his character had, rather just being the lovable doofus.

5. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

The first season is just sorta limp, but things start to move in season 2.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Seasons 3-6 are the peak of the show for me. After that, the showrunners changed, and it was never as consistent or as literate. In addition, the characters started turning into cariacatures - Sam became dumber, Carla became meaner, etc. The show didn’t have nearly as much heart later on. I don’t think those later years have aged as well as the earlier seasons.

7. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

I finished watching the whole series a few months ago and I agree completely. It never became a bad show but those middle years especially with Diane are my favorites. They had some excellent writers then.

8. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

9. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Ironically, the one with his daughter had the biggest laugh of the season... but it was an unwanted one. When the daughter says she's not beautiful and Coach says she is, the crowd erupted in laughter for a *really* long time. They stopped filming, redid the scene with the same result.

Writers could never figure it out and basically decided to mute the crowd's mics.

cwitt1980 and carrick doone like this.
  10. George Co-Stanza

Season 1 is like the debut album of a band that got a lot better quickly. There is a charm to it that is still very appealing even while recognizing that they got a lot better quickly. Plus, they did a good job of letting us get to know the characters gradually more and more as the season moved along. I always thought the Sam and Diane dynamic was better when they were not a couple, and that was on full display in S1.

I think Carla getting meaner did fit her character - she got saddled with more kids, all of whom she had to basically raise alone, after Eddie moved away for her job and eventually deceased - but I thought her meanness to Cliff was oft-putting at times. It didn't help that Cliff often just sat there and took it. At least when Carla went after Diane with jabs, Diane would often fire back.

Chip TRG, dvcarrick and Matthew Tate like this.
  11. George Co-Stanza

Damn, I never knew that. That had to be tough for that actress to deal with that laughter.

12. Rough&Rowdy

Rough&Rowdy Forum Resident

My partner and I are watching this at the moment because she hasn't seen it before. We're on season 3 at the moment. We found seasons 1 and 2 a bit of a struggle, but with Frasier coming in during season 3 you can feel the momentum growing.

I never enjoyed Coach. I didn't find him funny and often his lines/jokes felt forced. Woody was much better in my opinion.

There's a scene in early season 3 where Frasier is confiding in Sam because Diane had said Sam's name during sex. Frasier asks Sam if this ever happened to him, and Sam says "Well, I don't think so. But then again, who listens?" and I swear to God, I nearly choked on my drink. I laughed so hard - Danson's delivery of that was perfect.

13. jason88cubs

jason88cubs Forum Resident

Interesting that Frasier was only gonna appear in about 6 episodes then be let go but the writer sloved writing his character and the cast enjoyed Kelsey

14. George Co-Stanza

Haha, that has to be one of Sam's best one-liners ever.

I am sure I said this already in this thread, but I love that the writers eventually would give Frasier non-funny lines on purpose, knowing that Grammar would make them funny with his delivery, which he always did.

Billy Infinity and Matthew Tate like this.
  15. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Mahoney was also great as a William Faulkner-esque writer in the Coen Brothers' Barton Fink.

bloodisthin and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Was an episode from Season 1 censored a bit on the DVD, because someone made a Soviet joke? That's what I heard when I used to post on Home Theater Forum.

17. Manapua

Manapua Forum Resident

The Thanksgiving episode is always enjoyable and I love when Diane is reciting what she's thankful for and how she says Emily Dickinson.

18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Same here. It certainly reinforces the contention of my TV and Theater Appreciation professor in college that humor in most contemporary TV shows is insult-based.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

An all-time classic episode for sure. Having Shelly come to Carla's dressed as a Pilgrim was brilliant. The running gag with everyone always moving the television away from Frasier never gets old for me too. Frasier's line is also great: " Oh, who the hell do we think we're kidding? We're all a bunch of pathetic dropouts. Scorned by our loved ones - as if anybody ever loved us at all."

20. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

The opposite for me. Like a breath of fresh air compared to what's out there now.

21. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

Starting on October 23rd, Cheers will be coming to Hallmark Drama.

22. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

And Jeanne D’Arc. And Shari Lewis & Lambchop. LOL.

MikaelaArsenault and Manapua like this.
  23. George Co-Stanza

"I knew this was gonna be the greatest."

24. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

what times?

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  25. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident Thread Starter

11:00 PM, 11:30 PM, 12:00 AM, and 12:30 AM.

Matthew Tate likes this.