Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

I think the marketing gimmicks of Pauls releases are fun. Egypt Station perhaps the funniest. Guess we are many here who have fond memories of the roll-out which we shared in real time. It s impossible to know Pauls involvement in all this. Goven Paul being a controll-freak I would be suprised if he is somewhat involved in the process.
    Of course these markering tricks are made to stir up the interest and market the product. I also think Pauls crew are aware of the fan base on places like this and on the way has some fun with us. Don t really think all that many people outside our little bubble(or similar)pay much attention to dices or even know about the previous two McCartney albums.
    In fact I think the whole McCartney III thing is a bit of a marketing. It seems the virus gave Paul the oportunity to record on his own in the studio. On the way Paul -or somebody-else decided it a good thing to call the album McCartneyIII
    A very good idea for sure

omikron, Boognish, jricc and 4 others like this.
  2. CmoonL7

CmoonL7 Forum Resident

The labels should be printed differently for each side, like a slice of bologna for side 1, salami for side 2, capicola for side 3, etc. Or, veggie versions of each

longdist01, tug_of_war and Mazzy like this.
  3. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

Again, Paul is the ultimate showman. Study Sgt. Pepper’s, Magical Mystery Tour, and Let It Be. Flair for the dramatic and how to present his product. Out front and accessible to the media. Always has been. Great showman and a great marketer. He does both at the same time.

Definition of showman | Dictionary.com

Beatles Fan 4 Life likes this.
  4. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

longdist01 and tug_of_war like this.
  5. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

It's also possible that while prepping/approving of the McCartney anniversary RSD release (most likely in late 2019 so the vinyl could be pressed and ready for April) Paul started thinking about making a McCartney III in 2020. His plan all along may have been to record the album in summer/early fall after his Spring tour and summer festival dates. Covid may have simply given him more time at home to work on what he already had in mind. In GQ Paul said something like "I finished some songs I've been wanting to finish for a while." That doesn't sound like a record he made up on the spot because he was suddenly stuck at home.

cwitt1980 likes this.
  6. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

The bologna versions could be made out of rubber as a bonafide flexidisc.

longdist01 and tug_of_war like this.
  7. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

You forgot the French version...

8. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

What is this?

9. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

10. Calico Spies Like Us

Calico Spies Like Us Active Member

Exactly my point. Nothing happens unless it's Paul's idea or an idea that Paul likes and chooses to run with. The 'tease' campaign is happening this way because Paul enjoys creating a buzz and being seen to do unexpected or un-obvious things.

Who Cares likes this.
  11. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

I think it's a fan made of what could be the sleeve

ARK likes this.
  12. Wiserforthetime

Wiserforthetime Forum Resident

Thanks. That's what I was thinking it was.

13. Victor46542

Victor46542 Victor Baissait of Maccaclub

I'm not 100% sure only 99,999999%, if it was the real sleeve would be very disappointing as it look like much more to heavy metal sleeve

Wiserforthetime and tug_of_war like this.
  14. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

15. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

I’d be disappointed as well, crappy looking cover

16. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Maybe it's a heavy metal album :)

ARK, longdist01 and tug_of_war like this.
  17. A well respected man

A well respected man Some Mother's Son

This is all so exciting. McCartney III just ahead of a one-year-delayed-over-a-movie Let It Be. History repeats itself :laugh:

Thank you mrjinks for giving us the news way ahead of time.

18. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Mr Jinks has played a blinder with this.

I have been getting back into playing Egypt Station these last couple of weeks. Plenty of creativity there, and I have gotten used now (has taken a while)
    to the older soundung vocals. Anything new from Paul is a bonus and I did wonder earlier in lockdown whether Paul might be inspired to do a new 'very solo' type album which is what this presumably will be.

Let's push it to number 1 when it comes out!

JeffreyB, somnar, Who Cares and 5 others like this.
  19. green_ovation

green_ovation Forum Resident

1970: John Lennon releases his solo album ‘Plastic Ono Band’ after Paul McCartney released his solo album ‘McCartney’ and The Beatles released ‘Let It Be’.
    50 Years Later: Will John Lennon release his solo album ‘Plastic Ono Band’ before or after Paul McCartney releases his solo album ‘McCartney III’ and The Beatles release ‘Let It Be’?

20. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Not much chance of that without concert ticket album inclusion.

21. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

I can even smell 1970... It's definitely back! :pleased:

22. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

That wouldn’t work anyway. Billboard has closed the “ticket bundling” chart loophole...

ARK likes this.
  23. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Merci!

Maranatha5585 and AlienGirlWorx like this.
  24. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

Whether it's already been said, I also recognize @mrjinks' transparent restraint that was handled with professional dignity.

Rather than announce a new Paul album outright, he offered caveats to temper the excitement while protecting his sources until the official die was cast so to say.

Your thread ethics duly noted sir. :)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  25. tug_of_war

tug_of_war Unable to tolerate bass solos

Well said. @mrjinks I'm glad you were our source. Thanks.
    @Victor46542 Too.