Peter Gabriel - Classic concerts released on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by peterpyser, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Peter should do a Bowie and offer some empty boxes at $22 a pop. To hold them all! :evil:

tug_of_war likes this.
  2. WhatDoIKnow

WhatDoIKnow I never got over it, I got used to it

Oh wow, they delivered early!
    Great news, I am enjoying my copy of Plays Live very much.
    I am curious as to the download code; does it bring you to Bandcamp again?

The cover and photo on the back are stunning!

3. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Still waiting on mine. Weren't these released a couple weeks ago?

4. WhatDoIKnow

The date I have is October 16

5. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Just checked the site, says US is now coming out Nov. 6.

6. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

if you ordered from Real world and are U.K. based they will get them to customers about 2 days ahead of the scheduled release date. This happened with Plays Live but I wasn’t home and the postie left a card meaning it was redelivered 2 days later on its release date.

I haven’t checked the download but I would think so - I think he has moved to Bandcamp for digital releases.

7. WhatDoIKnow

Maybe we'll see the hires files on Bandcamp tomorrow.
    Enjoy listening to the vinyls, mine will get here in a couple of weeks

8. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Got my copy of "Live in Athens" today.

I would be very interested to know whether the download code will be the same mastering as the CD version from the "So " deluxe. I hope it's better than that...

9. LivingForever

I have to say the vinyl still sounds a bit "loudness-war"-y, to my ears...

c-eling likes this.
  10. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Not surprised as I'm pretty positive it's the 24bitter's their using for all of these.

11. Figment

Figment Forum Resident

I was at the show in Chicago where Plays Live was recorded. It is still seared into my memory. The recordings do not do it justice.

proedros, WhatDoIKnow and c-eling like this.
  12. MickJ7

MickJ7 Forum Resident

Just playing my Live in Athens and on This is the Picture he says something to the effect of "come on Paris show me what you can do" and he sings some lyrics in french.
    On games without frontiers he sings some of the lyrics in French too although not sure if he did that anyway.

I'm beginning to think this was recorded in Paris not Athens, although I've checked the song listing on the cover against what's playing and it matches so far.

c-eling likes this.
  13. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Anything but new music....

14. c-eling

Games originally has a French verse.

15. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I ordered Athens and Secret World together and I guess Amazon is gonna wait until Secret World gets issued to ship them both?

16. LivingForever

I missed the bit about “come on Paris”, you might have misheard that.

But he does say “thank you” in Greek several times during the show, so I think it probably is Athens still.

17. MickJ7

MickJ7 Forum Resident

yes cheers for that. I wasn't sure of that. I need to play This is the Picture again as I'm sure he says something about Paris

c-eling likes this.
  18. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

If you're talking about the intro where he introduces the band members, Manu Katche is from Paris, so any references are probably due to that. Does he do the Paris thing anywhere else? (Besides "Games Without Frontiers" which we know has a French verse)

LivingForever likes this.
  19. MickJ7

MickJ7 Forum Resident

Thanks to you both (LivingForever and Walrus) My ears have been playing up off and on for over a year now. They've been constantly blocked since working from home, and I think lack of movement doesn't help. The furthest I've walked this week is to the back garden to have a cigarette now and again.
    I'll have a proper listen.

I'm probably a bit paranoid after finding out Stir It Up on Babylon by Bus (BMW) was from a totally different concert from years before (Live at the Lyceum).

20. MicSmith

MicSmith Forum Resident

live in Athens is definitely recorded in Athens and none of it is from other shows.

21. WhatDoIKnow

Plays Live has nice dr values in the hires files but Live in Athens is compressed, I'm afraid. Big let down for me, I have to say. I just hope that the vinyl is better, as it should be

c-eling likes this.
  22. Solace

Solace Forum Resident

I really hope the Live in Athens vinyl has better dynamics than the CD version. It was the whole point of ordering it for me. And it’s strange if the download doesn’t use the vinyl mastering as it did with So, Us and Passion.

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  23. peterpyser

peterpyser Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm afraid it uses the same mastering as the old 2012 cd...

foobar2000 1.3.19 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
    log date: 2020-10-17 14:35:48

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Analyzed: ? / ?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
    DR8 -0.62 dB -10.42 dB 5:56 ?-Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens 1987 - 01 This Is The Picture (excellent birds) (Live)
    DR7 -0.32 dB -11.52 dB 7:32 ?-Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens 1987 - 02 San Jacinto (Live)
    DR7 -1.55 dB -10.20 dB 6:39 ?-Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens 1987 - 03 Shock the Monkey (Live)
    DR8 -0.45 dB -11.51 dB 4:36 ?-Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens 1987 - 04 Family Snapshot (Live)
    DR7 -0.90 dB -10.37 dB 5:31 ?-Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens 1987 - 05 Intruder (Live)
    DR8 -0.67 dB -9.33 dB 5:25 ?-Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens 1987 - 06 Games Without Frontiers (Live)
    DR8 -0.60 dB -11.66 dB 6:16 ?-Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens 1987 - 07 No Self Control (Live)
    DR7 -0.75 dB -9.75 dB 9:15 ?-Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens 1987 - 08 Mercy Street (Live)
    DR7 -0.65 dB -9.65 dB 7:06 ?-Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens 1987 - 09 The Family and the Fishing Net (Live)
    DR6 -0.85 dB -8.82 dB 8:16 ?-Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens 1987 - 10 Don't Give Up (Live)
    DR6 -1.05 dB -8.13 dB 5:10 ?-Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens 1987 - 11 Solsbury Hill (Live)
    DR8 -0.40 dB -10.36 dB 6:15 ?-Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens 1987 - 12 Lay Your Hands on Me (Live)
    DR8 -0.82 dB -9.05 dB 5:07 ?-Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens 1987 - 13 Sledgehammer (Live)
    DR12 -0.24 dB -14.46 dB 2:48 ?-Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens 1987 - 14 Here Comes The Flood (Live)
    DR7 -0.81 dB -10.25 dB 10:39 ?-Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens 1987 - 15 In Your Eyes (Live)
    DR6 -0.30 dB -7.69 dB 9:43 ?-Peter Gabriel - Live in Athens 1987 - 16 Biko (Live)

Number of tracks: 16
    Official DR value: DR7

Samplerate: 48000 Hz
    Channels: 2
    Bits per sample: 24
    Bitrate: 2304 kbps
    Codec: PCM
    ================================================================================

c-eling likes this.
  24. c-eling

Crap...:sigh:
    I was able to tolerate Growing Up Live from the DVD which is around the same.

25. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

That’s a bummer. The blu-ray for Athens is similarly squashed, so the most dynamic presentation is the original POV video. I’m not saying it has the best overall sound, necessarily, but at least the best DR (save the new vinyl itself, possibly).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.