Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I thought they have to charge you something for it to count, and I would go for a $74.99 ticket with future album versus a $74.50 without, and I think a lot of others would as well.

Heck, I would so pay that just to feel like I have a pseudo guarantee that Paul will release another album.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  2. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

It is possible if he creates a multiple cover / multiple colored vinyl collector's bonanza.

3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

“Billboard ... has decided to eliminate the practice of counting albums bundled with merchandise and concert tickets on its album and song charts altogether.” July 13, 2020.
    Billboard Announces New Chart Rules: No More Merch & Ticket Bundles
    Now please, Doc, stop pestering me with such minor trivialities. I’ve become far too important to this forum to deal with requests from the likes of yourself. Have Murdock or Christensen or one of my other lackies pre-approve any queries before deigning to respond to me directly in the future. The official forum name change to Lordjinks should be completed shortly...

:nyah:

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    omikron, zobalob, planckera and 7 others like this.
  4. Dr. Pepper

Well if he releases the album in the 64 colors in box or Crayola crayons then yes, I supose.

ARK likes this.
  5. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I hope more that he forms a band, tours colleges unannounced, has hit after hit again, and then retires in 10 years with McCartney IV.

omikron, Who Cares, theMess and 6 others like this.
  6. Elliottmarx

This week's number one is 21 Savage -
    “Savage Mode II” opened at No. 1 on Billboard’s latest chart with the equivalent of 171,000 sales in the United States, including 200 million streams and 22,000 copies sold as a complete package, according to Nielsen Music.

You're right those sales are impressive, but not absolutely impossible.
    However, McCartney will never, ever manage 200 million streams.

Sill - even if topping the charts is unlikely, his team obviously wants to sell as many copies as possible.
    One way to do that, relatively easily, is through different packaging schemes. So that we fans
    buy more than one copy. Also, surely they are aiming for as many viral moments as possible.

7. MikeJHall

MikeJHall Forum Resident

I'm new to this forum, so hi, everyone.

The first McCartney album build-up I ever had was for Flowers In The Dirt. I saw the video for My Brave Face on The Chart Show in the UK and was sold. In truth, though, the first song that really got me was We All Stand Together (aged 6 3/4). I heard it on the radio before school and then zoned out throughout an entire assembly trying to keep it in my mind. So it definitely resonated with at least one kid, even if it's maligned.

Anyway, I've been there for every album since (though I had a lull around Chaos - nothing to do with the album, which I now love, but life).

I firmly believe that anything we get from here is bonus material, but I love that it looks like we are.

As for McCartney Iii, this may be my most anticipated, not because it may be his last (any could) but that I wasn't "there" for the first two.

I want instrumentals, experimental, half-finished doodles, childlike tunes and one or two rockers and heartbreakers. That's what I want, but in truth I'll take anything at this point.

The build-up to a new McCartney album now feels akin to the last day of a memorable holiday for me. The whole day's in front of you and you want to take in every moment in, but you know it has to end at some point soon.

Or does it? Probably. He can't go on forever, though if you can find me another musician more likely to be writing and recording at 100 I'd love to hear about them. Plus there's the stuff in the vaults unheard, but their time - thankfully - isn't yet.

I suppose I'm just saying I'm a long-term fan whose whole life has been influenced by that guy in some way.

I saw that post from @mrjinks a few weeks back and my heart skipped a little, as I wondered back in about April if lockdown might bring us McCartney III.

When I saw the dice yesterday it skipped again.

I'm ready. Bring it on.

Thrillington, Drewzel, jmxw and 27 others like this.
  8. Monasmee

Monasmee Forum Ruminant

The Holiday Season & James Corden both come to mind. :)

Alen and Elliottmarx like this.
  9. Dr. Pepper

Hey, I averted my eyes to not make eye contact and bowed, what more do you want your royal highness?

Zeki and mrjinks like this.
  10. Dr. Pepper

I don't know, McCartney V in 2040 sounds like a good target to me. Now if its me, and it's not, I would record 24 new tracks in the next couple of years and tell my kids if I'm not around release these as 8 song albums as McCartney IV, V, and VI in 2030, 2040, and 2050!

ARK, Who Cares, theMess and 3 others like this.
  11. mrjinks

That’s a start. Your apology has been forwarded to my legal team for evaluation and (possible) acceptance.

somnar, DRM, theMess and 3 others like this.
  12. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I think there will be lots of posthumous McCartney releases. I reckon he has lots in the vault.

tug_of_war, theMess, Boognish and 4 others like this.
  13. Elliottmarx

I hope he has the foresight to straighten it all out. His vault must be deep.

longdist01 likes this.

14. My money’s on Stella to control any post career vault - using Macca approved curators when that time comes.

DRM, Who Cares, tug_of_war and 3 others like this.
  15. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

Idk, she kind of has a full time career of her own though. Mary maybe. I don’t think James is really interested
    But I agree they will probably use pre approved curators, and just sign off on stuff.

• Looks like she may have already thought of this LOL;)

[​IMG]

DRM, Who Cares, tug_of_war and 3 others like this.
  16. Dr. Pepper

Yes, but I'm thinking a sequenced album with Paul's input would mean a lot more to me than a random posthumous release.

17. joeislive

joeislive Streets Ahead

He could definitely hit number 1 on the U.K. Charts though, which didn’t even happen with Egypt Station.

Elliottmarx likes this.
  18. Wild Ram Speedway

Wild Ram Speedway Forum Resident

Something that didn't happen ;)

Who Cares, Lovich and Calico like this.
  19. mrjinks

Welcome to the crowd! :wave:
    We’re an eccentric, occasionally aggravating bunch :), but there’s nowhere on the ‘net that you’re going to find more knowledgeable people about the Fabs, IMO. People (obviously) disagree on opinions and audio-fidelity and so forth, but the group gets the facts right, most of the time, and that’s what I like about this place.

I’m kinda like you. I’m hoping we get that whimsical, slightly eccentric side of McCartney on this release but, as others have mentioned, this is “bonus material” now, so just bring it on, indeed! I do, however, feel that it’s fair game for critical appraisal and just because it’s released, that doesn’t mean I’m gonna unconditionally praise it. I love the guy, and I’ve been buying his new albums on release day since ‘82 (aged 16), but I also feel he sometimes under delivers. I do think his post-Anthology material has generally been of very high quality, and I hope he continues that streak.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Paulwalrus, jmxw, omikron and 18 others like this.
  20. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The King has spoken.
    As an humble servant I second every word from the master.
    :):):)

21. Elliottmarx

Howdy, and welcome.

I've said it frequently these last few weeks, but the build up to new McCartney releases have been some of the happiest times of my life. I've been doing this since Press to Play - which still holds a special place in my heart.

I'm torn by the idea that everything after Egypt Station is bonus. I get it, and possibly feel it too - but talk like that just lowers expectations and ultimately lowered expectations might lead to lowered standards. McCartney III might be every bit as good as Rough & Rowdy Ways, or even Cash's American Recordings. Why not? Paul certainly doesn't owe us anything more, that much I can say without hesitation.

I'm glad you're here and that we have another voice in our chorus.

22. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Expectations of this forum has nothing to do with the standards of McCartney's work.

23. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

:wtf:

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  24. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

Good to know
    :):):)