Sennheiser HD600 New or used?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by BDC, Oct 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BDC

BDC Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm Jonesing to get a pair of HD600's and want some opinions about the build quality or anything else I should know about the new production ones vs the older ones. I hear the new ones don't come with the case, which is a bummer, but not a deal breaker. The build quality on the other hand is important, and I'd like some opinions. I'm not overly concerned about looking cheap, but about actual quality as to product life and quality.
    I'm seeing used older style ones being bid up to the prices of the new ones. Already have the Massdrop 6xxx, so lets not go there please.

2. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

How old is old?
    If used I'd look for ones that are more recent. Sennheiser has made running changes to the driver and the sound has improved over the years. I don't know the time table for any of the running changes.

As an example. I've got a 20 year old HD600 and HD580. And a 5 year old HD650 and a Massdrop HD6xx. The 20 year old HD600 and HD580 are less transparent (more veiled and less clear) than the more recent HD650 and HD6xx. It does take really good amplification to notice the difference in transparency, but the difference is there and quite noticeable with good amplification. That difference is due to running changes and improvements in the driver.

The headphones themselves hold up well. My 20 year old versions are doing just fine. However, ear pads and headband pads have been replaced. You can buy replacement ear pads and headband pads from Sennheiser. Ear pads are about $50 per pair, headband pad is about $20. Easy to replace. For any used Senn I'd budget $70 or so for new pads.

willied and BDC like this.
  3. BDC

Thanks for the reply, and hopefully there are more.
    I wish I did know more about running changes, when and what has changed. I suspect the changes mentioned are from the last year or 2. The new HD 600's don't have that blue marble design. See photos......
    https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-O...ywords=sennheiser+hd600&qid=1602989088&sr=8-2

My post is inspired by a particular Amazon reviewer.
    The reviewer stated issues about build quality in new models, and I was looking to have some opinions here on that. I was not aware there had been changes/improvements in the drivers over the years.

4. I have a blue marbled pair that I purchased a few years ago during a Black Friday sale. Since we are close to that period, I’d wait to see if Amazon or Crutchfield or some other seller has a nice sale on them, making them even a better value.

Ham is correct: they do need a lot of amplification. I use a Schiit Valhalla 2, which brings out a lot in the ‘phones. They do a great job upscaling in sound along with other hardware upgrades. I’d definitely buy any newer model If I didn’t already enjoy these so much. They are fantastic.

Happy hunting,

Bill

BDC likes this.
  5. Ham Sandwich

I'm not familiar with the latest changes and what-all has changed with the new color design. My interest though is just sound. Not color and accessories. I'm most curious about if the new color design version has driver and housing improvements. Driver and housing (baffle and cup and such) affect the sound. The rest not so much.

willied and BDC like this.
  6. BDC

Sound is all I care about too...I wanted a neutral option for phones..I got to studying the photos and conclude the headband outside the padding looks the same as my Massdrop 6XXX's and Senn HD 650's<from photos..different color lettering but same plastic it appears. I don't have any issue with this...I just didn't want to buy something that might fall apart...
    I ordered a new pair from Sweetwater.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Ham Sandwich likes this.
  7. BDC

Your right, I probably should of waited for a black friday deal or something... Sweetwater has them for 300 right now...
    I have a Jotunheim, plenty power....I think my balanced cable I use with the Massdrop 6xxx is interchangeable with HD600's?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    Bill Why Man likes this.
  8. Ham Sandwich

Senn isn't going to make a HD6## variant that falls apart. They know how to make plastic headphones that don't break.

I'll be curious to find out how you hear the HD6xx vs. the new edition HD600.

Your current HD6xx balanced cable will be perfectly interchangeable with your new HD600.

Bill Why Man and BDC like this.
  9. BDC

Yeah that's been my experience with Senn, I just came across some finicky reviews. Even my inexpensive HD 203's probably last me a lifetime... I'll get back on a comparison, but I must admit to hearing loss and tinnitus... I tread lightly on audio quality commenting, but I still always want good stuff, and take precautions with my hearing that I wish did more of in the past.. Tend to not blast headphones.

pterodactyl likes this.
  10. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Amazon reviews? They’re largely a waste of time. There’s no filter, they’re all random strangers, one person’s claim that he gave proper care is another person’s version of complete abuse. So-called customer user reviews can’t be analyzed because the sources and their motivations are unknown. Most of the time they’re a complete waste of time.

BDC and willied like this.
  11. BDC

Yes Sir, that is why I posted this thread. I did do a search here first.

Agitater and bever70 like this.
  12. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

I bought new HD600s a few weeks ago. Built quality is not up there with my previous HD700s, but perfectly adequate.

However, from previous experience, Sennheiser support is outstanding. I send another pair of phones to them asking for repair. A brand new pair returned. No questions asked. I didn't even have the receipt!

BDC likes this.
  13. BDC

Thanks for posting that....Nothing like a little extra informative assurance.
    I tend to take care of my stuff, I just needed a little assurance after some Amazon reviews I read.
    I have a couple Sennhieser Mics, Massdrop HD6xxx/HD 203's....All good stuff and you guys helped give me the assurance to get new HD 600's... Senn makes good stuff. I'm confident I'll be getting a damn nice pair of cans to add to my collection. I hear the new ones don't come with the case...I'll end up buying one if not....

shug4476 likes this.
  14. shug4476

shug4476 Nullius In Verba

Yep, definitely no case. Cardboard packaging and that is it. But they sound so good (and are a good price) that I frankly don't care!

BDC likes this.
  15. Paul_s

Paul_s Forum Resident

Had my original pair that lasted for 14 or 15 years before they went pop.

Build quality is good. Stock cable is delicate and tends to twist over time (replaced mine around 3 or 4 times over the period I had them). Ear cushions last a while and are comfy (replaced twice).
    Had to replace headband once as the cushioning had gone soft after 12 years.

Clamping force on newer versions is tighter but gets comfier with use, I prefer the sound of the older models around 2004/5 vintage.

BDC likes this.
  16. james

james Summon The Queen

I’ve had my 600’s for 15+ years and use them daily. The cool thing about your situation is that you can’t go wrong buying new, which isn’t always the case. They’re a tried and true audio classic

BDC likes this.
  17. harby

harby Forum Resident

Too bad you went from question to paid for in four hours, I have a set of "speckled" HD600 I could have sold at a good percent off. Headband cushions lost their oomph as described above, but instead of a replacement off Sennheiser, I read that you can cut in from behind and just stuff new foam in the pillows.

BDC likes this.
  18. BDC

No regrets here, my preference leans toward new generally if quality is up to snuff on the product. Having said that, I did go through the classifieds here and there isn't currently much for sale in the way of Senn HD600's. You could probably sell them fairly quick with a good price. In fact it won't surprise me if you get PM's from your post in this thread.
    Thanks for posting..

19. Ham Sandwich

For the $300 price at Sweetwater I'd have gone for the brand new HD600 as well instead of looking for used. One reason is that used headphones are gross (lol) and I'd need to spend an additional $60 on new pads before using them and the more serious reason is that I'd be curious about their sound and how they compare to older HD600.

I'm actually tempted to buy the new HD600 myself. It is taking all of my self-control to not buy them. I'm trying to keep myself from buying any more sub $500 headphones just to try because I've saved up for an endgame headphone (lol, there is no end to this game). Once Covid is over and I can demo headphones again I'm going out shopping for an expensive headphone. Every headphone I buy between now and then just takes away from the budget I've set aside for that expensive headphone. Please give me strength to not by a new HD600 right now.

ti-triodes, Agitater and BDC like this.
  20. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Do not buy anything else until you've saved for something truly superb. Stop transferring chunks of your money into the pockets of random strangers in return for stuff that just steers you sideways.

Jim N. and Ham Sandwich like this.
  21. Ham Sandwich

Wise words. The hard part is having the discipline to follow that path.

I followed that path with my headphone amps. I was playing with sub $500 amps looking for something that would pair well with the Audeze headphones. I'd heard the Cavalli Liquid Fire back then and it was (is) the magical sound I wanted with the Audeze headphones. But sooo expensive. I realized that if I churned through affordable amps looking for a giant killer I'd never be able to afford the giant. So I stopped buying amps and waited till I found a Liquid Fire. I jumped over the $1000-$2000 amps and went straight for the giant class.

I'm looking to do the same with headphones. I've got LCD-2 Classic. Looking to jump over all the stuff that's in-between and go straight for one of the big ones. Considering things like Abyss, LCD-4, Rosson RAD-0, maybe the HEDD, and other similar class headphones. The challenge is that just being expensive doesn't automatically make it the kind of good sound that I'm after (I'm picky and know what I like). So it is absolutely necessary to audition headphones in that class before buying because mistakes can get expensive. Churning through $3K+ headphones by buying and selling gets expensive because they lose too much value. At that price level I have to chose wisely and be right the first time.

Agitater likes this.
  22. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

Well said. Patience and discipline and never purchasing anything without a satisfactory audition. That's one of the best ways to build a truly excellent system. It takes time and there's a lot of enjoyable music listening along the way.

23. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Don’t Panic
    I seem to remember toward the back-end of 2017 Amazon UK pulled (stopped) all sales
    of the Sennheiser HD600 over complaints that buyers where receiving counterfeit units.

Whether the counterfeit claims were justified or not I don’t know as when I did eventually purchase
    a pair of the marbled (Ireland) edition they were shipped from Sennheiser Germany to the UK.

So it could be possible counterfeits exist on the used market.
    OK, Panic!

24. luiscardoso88

luiscardoso88 Forum Resident

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD600 that I bought 3,5 years ago, before they changed the finish from marble to the current one. The sound didn’t change, only the finish. As such, find the best deal (new or used) and go with it.

These are my favorite headphones bar none, for the price. I had the HD650 (too mellow sounding) , the AKG Q701 (great with classical, not so much with male vocals - plasticky mids) and the HD600 is the perfect middle ground: natural is the best way to put it. It just sounds lifelike.

I’ve heard more expensive headphones and none made me think it was worth the expense, except Stax. Those are amazing but not very comfortable.

If you shop used, bear in mind that if the ear pads and the headband pad are on their way out you’ll need to account for new padding (around 80$ in total), so it might be better to buy new depending on the price difference.

Mbe likes this.
  25. BDC

Your right in my wheelhouse being I own a pair of AKG K702's /Drop 6XXX, and now my new HD 600's arrived today.
    I just tried them out on a full listening of The James Gang Rides Again MOFI SACD...Great Headphones. The Drop 6XXX definitely sound softer. These HD 600's have excellent clarity, killer mids and bass not overdone. You can really hear the guitar parts with these things. I like to have choices for my listening mood at a given time, and some phones will sound better with certain recordings. I think I have the bases nicely covered. I suppose my Drop 6XXX's are a tad more comfortable. Another minor point, is regarding Amazon reviewers that complained about these not fitting big heads...WTF, I'm easily in the top 10 percentile in noggin size and come from a long line of them. Fit's on my head fine, but I knew they would. I have 2 other pairs of Senns....

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Bill Why Man likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.