The Who- Who Are You Album Version On CD.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pouchkine, Oct 5, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pouchkine

Pouchkine Forum Resident Thread Starter

I would like to know as a "new" fan of the band on which CD can I find the complete album version of this great song apart from the original album of the same name. I see the album gets mixed reviews so should I still get the original album or is there a good compilation with decent sound quality to have it.

Thank You

somebodywhocares and 2141 like this.
  2. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

Sean, Pouchkine and 2141 like this.
  3. Spitfire

Spitfire Senior Member

It's a good album. Their last with Keith Moon and worth getting the whole thing.

Sean, rednedtugent, 905 and 4 others like this.
  4. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I think he's looking for a good compilation album that has the full length (no-edit) version of the song on it. I'm also curious which comp album is good that includes Who Are You. I don't have any of those comp albums personally, but I would imagine someone here does and can let us know. :winkgrin:

Pouchkine likes this.
  5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Personally, title track and perhaps a couple of others aside, I think it's a relatively poor album. Very wimpy in places, not least as soon as the album starts with those ghastly synths. Compared to the synths in earlier Who records they're unimaginative and detract rather than add anything worthwhile.

Who Are You is a great song though and a lot of the classic rock acts were struggling creatively in the late 70s. It a better album than plenty of others were putting out then.

6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

I’d agree. The title track is classic Who but nothing else comes near it in terms of quality and those synths turn it into a real aural fashion victim. In fact, this album is exhibit A for why it would’ve been a good idea to call time on the Who after Moon died - the stuff Townshend was writing at that point just wasn’t suitable for band projects.

7. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

I think the songs on Who Are You are strong, and Roger Daltrey's singing is even more ferocious than usual. John Entwistle's 3 contributions all hit the mark. To me Who Are You and Who's Next are the Who albums that any casual fan would enjoy the most because they are very commercial.

8. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

I agree the synths on the album as a whole are pretty bad, but interestingly the synth on the song Who Are You are as good or better than anything Townshend did on previous albums. So clearly he still knew how to do it, but just didn't go that way with the other songs.

sbardc, Pouchkine, Dog Ear and 2 others like this.
  9. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

That puzzles me too. I wonder if he felt half arsed about synths then after not using them on The Who By Numbers. They are excellent on Who Are You, they sound shoehorned in on a lot of the rest of the album.

Pouchkine, Dog Ear and 2141 like this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Who Are You mostly just doesn't rock though.

Pouchkine likes this.
  11. Moonbeam Skies

Moonbeam Skies Forum Resident

As a side note, I bought the Who Are You 45 rpm single (with Had Enough on the b-side) and that version edited to under 4 minutes was burned into my brain before I bought the album. The way it's edited really keeps that song speeding all the way through! Plus you get "Who the hell are you" instead of the f-bomb. I still love that single.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    CybrKhatru and Jason Michael like this.
  12. Remy

Remy Forum Resident

Its a little uneven but the last Who album that I loved. Guitar and Pen is one of my favorites.

Moonbeam Skies, rednedtugent and 2141 like this.
  13. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

So is there a good comp album with the full-length version of the song on it. Does anyone know? Or perhaps that doesn't exist at all?

Dyland, Pouchkine and Man at C&A like this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I wonder if Pete felt obliged to use the synths again, rather than had enthusiasm for them after The Who By Numbers wasn't as big an album for them after the run they'd had previously.

Pouchkine and 2141 like this.
  15. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

I looked at the various comps I have (granted, I did not purchase all 17,439 different ones...) but Hooligans has the full length version. It is focused on the 70s, so misses most of the great early singles, but it's as good as any for a new fan, I suppose, to get some of the great 70s songs in one spot. However, I'd also recommend the proper album. No, it's not their best, but it's worth owning for sure.

16. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I've never found one. The ones I have are The Who Hits 50, The Ultimate Collection, My Generation - The Very Best of The Who and I've had Who's Better Who's Best. They can all be ruled out, I'm guessing along with Then and Now.

2141 likes this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Obviously it's not a favourite of mine but I'd rather have the album too. The Who are worth being completist for. I prefer having single edits on compilations. The edited Won't Get Fooled Again was a selling point for The Who Hits 50 to me. To me it's a magnificent song, a rare one that works as a short burst of power on the 45, like a classic Who single, as well as the full length album track. Rock music just doesn't get better.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    2141 and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  18. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

It seems Pete and the whole band for that matter where struggling at this point. They were trying to figure out how to stay relevant considering they were looked at as one of the old dinosaur bands from the previous era. And of course this subject is basically what the title track is built around. I think it's a rather confused album but still lots to like about it.

Man at C&A likes this.
  19. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Me too, similar to the WGFA edit. Sheer relentless power.

2141 and Moonbeam Skies like this.
  20. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

yup, agreed - I think at this point, I've got all the songs in all the versions somewhere. But, their catalogue is frustrating to keep up with, remixes, edits, etc. To the matter at hand, Hooligans is a comp that has the full version. It's a "fine" comp. I'd recommend the proper album, too.

Moonbeam Skies and 2141 like this.
  21. Cast Iron Shore

Cast Iron Shore Forum Resident

If I'm remembering correctly, according to our resident Who expert lukpac, the only CD release of the original mix of Who Are You is on the old MCA CD. The other CDs are remixes.

2141, Moonbeam Skies and Man at C&A like this.
  22. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

we're all posting at the same time - there is. Hooligans!

2141, Moonbeam Skies and Man at C&A like this.
  23. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Is that easy to find nowadays? I don't think I've ever seen it on CD and rarely on vinyl.

24. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Most of 70s rock colossi seemed to think the future was synth-shaped by the end of that decade. Tull and Zeppelin certainly did, judging by A and ITTOD.

Pouchkine, 2141 and Man at C&A like this.
  25. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Yeah, even Status Quo started using them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.