Saturday Night Live (SNL) 2020-2021 46th Season Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Sep 1, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Yes, but I'm putting it into the context of why Burr's stage persona would be disingenuously unaware, not what our members might have to say about it. A clarification and a devil's-advocate defense.

2. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

Justin Bieber is making his 4th appearance as music guest this week..Does Lorne have nieces who are fans or something??

3. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  4. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Has any show ever coasted more on well past glories than SNL? It has become a parody of a satire of an ironic fart of itself.

5. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

I believe Alec Baldwin's niece is a fan.

6. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

7. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

If this hadn't been cut for time, it would have been my favorite of the week

8. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Not bad. I'd have definitely preferred they cut down the debate sketch and had this.

MikaelaArsenault and Hall Cat like this.
  9. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

What's Up With That? :laugh:

10. OldSoul

OldSoul Don't you hear the wind blowin'?

Tonight's episode was pretty great. The cold open was funny, until it went on too long. Kamala doesn't need to pop up everywhere, and it seems they still don't know how to write her, really. But the rest of the episode felt like a throwback, kinda. The writers seem to finally be inspired again. I'm hoping they can keep it up.

11. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

Awful show tonight.

Week one was half-decent and I figured with all of the material they have to work with that they couldn’t help but rebound from last week’s letdown.

The open was really, really bad. Had really high hopes for Jim Carrey after week one but they have to write better for him. The fun they poked at Biden felt so forced it was ridiculous. I know they have to try to even things out but there had to be a better approach than that nonsense. The Baldwin half was ok, but forcing Maya Rudolph into the open this week was just plain bad. Hope they let that go unless something happens with her in the news this week which is impossible to ignore.

Had a couple of laughs during WU (before Heidi Gardner tanked) but man oh man, this episode was a challenge to even sit through.

12. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Weekend update was great

13. OldSoul

Please give more details about what you didn't like. Some of us who liked it are trying to figure out what made people hate it. Ignore the political stuff--what didn't you like about the rest?

14. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

Jim Carrey was a little better tonight. He does bear a striking facial resemblance to Biden, but his mannerisms are still a bit too much "Fire Marshall Bill".

I just about fell on the floor at the Mr. Rogers/Bob Ross references. :biglaugh:

15. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

I love their political stuff. Baldwin as Trump has me at “Hello” every week. And I’m very much down with Carrey as Biden.

This week, save for a few laughs, the open just didn’t quite get there.

The “rest” isn't easily explained as to why I thought it mostly sucked. Laughs are a personal thing. I always root for the show but even being positive I just thought most of the skits were poorly conceived and the material was brutally bad. Ironic, because they had several really good ideas. Very promising social territory in a couple of cases like the “Chicago” show and the kidnapping of Gov. Whitmer references in the Black Jack’s or whatever restaurant... but those bits just didn’t end up being much good, IMO.

The 5 Hour Empathy bit was good. The French TV show bit was half-decent. The couple in the restaurant was solid.

But this kind of thing is too subjective to really analyze. To one person, something like Gardner’s ditzy bit during WU was probably hilarious. I guess I’m just not that person. She is great but that idea just went nowhere.

I still think this season could be very good. I’m not going to bail on it or anything but I really dug week one. Week two dropped off a bit but hung in there. Thinking back on it, this week probably wasn’t as bad as I said above, but I’m hoping for better next week.

MikaelaArsenault and OldSoul like this.
  16. OldSoul

See, I thought the cold open was one of the best in a while (even though it went on too long), and thought the rest of the episode felt like them shedding some of their bad habits from the last few seasons and putting on a really good, solid, show. The Carla bit in Update was the best performance I've seen on the show in ages. A lot of the jokes are small. Maybe watch it again. I rewatched it and it cemented my love for Heidi on the show. I really don't like the "correspondents" on Update never being people you'd actually see on the news, but this bit made me understand the people who say Update should be for the cast to show their chops with characters. To me, that bit was more about the masterly performance and little jokes, than the loss of night life jobs. I agree it wandered from there, but as it's own thing, it's A+, for me.

17. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

It was exactly at the Heidi Gardner bit (80s coke lady?) that we bailed. Thought up to that point this episode was once again very weak.
    I mean the cast has to know this season is not working at all.

18. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

Last night was marginally better.

Leslie Jones is missed.

19. aorecords

aorecords Forum Resident

I thought this was the worst episode yet. The biggest offender here being the writing. The cast and crew appear to be getting their timing back. Hooray! Even Carrey was on point despite really lazy writing. C'mon, an old man telling rambling stories about the old days? The Trump stuff was the much better but, agreeably, what was the point of an interjection of Harris?

The only successful parts of last night were the restaurant sketch and once again Weekend Update. For the past few years now the Trump sons are usually one of the highlights of the show and have yet to disappoint. I'm willing to give Chloe's Tiffany a chance. I think she's one if the better cast members. There's some potential for a partnership between Tiffany and Eric Trump.
    Where's Melissa Via senior? Why only three seconds of airtime?

20. The Slug Man

The Slug Man Forum Resident

Last night was pretty dire. And come on, do we really need 20 cast members (yes I counted. By the time the opening credits are done, it's already 11:45 PM as per that old clock they have in the studio). There were a few sketches with literally next to no laughs (like the Chicago talk show).

21. modrevolve

modrevolve Forum Resident Thread Starter

October 24th guest host is Adele and musical guest H.E.R. :wtf:

22. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Weird that they're announcing this on Sunday rather than during last night's show, but perhaps not as weird as Adele hosting without also being the musical guest.

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Yeah, that was an excellent joke. But I agree that there's far too much Carrey and too little Biden in his impression. I think the excellent make-up job is doing 90% of the work there. Honestly, if he was not made up as Biden and was doing that impression in a stand-up, would people know it was supposed to be Biden? I don't think so.

Baldwin looks bored and tired as Trump. I bet that even setting aside his political views, he is hoping he will be able to retire the character.

24. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Oh yeah he is so ready to be done with it.

25. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

This one was better.

Biden's "impersonation" isn't Joe Biden at all except for looking like him. Meanwhile Their "take" on him is that he's a little boring - so not a take at all. They have Baldwin NOT exaggerating Trump at all anymore - they just have him says someone's name wrong and then literally paraphrase actual things Trump said.

The date sketch, the 5 hour empathy, the rude Michigan Militia guys were all good - nothing that would make a "real" best of - but at least in line with the vast majority of SNL stuff.

Bieber isn't for me.

Cocaine lady went on only about 2 minutes too long. The Trump Brothers is always good - I like that Don Jr. seems to care about Eric so much.

I still think they should get the audience OUT of there. Not worth ANY risk of disease to see that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.