Any Pro Wrestling Fans Here? V2.0

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by sirmikael, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

speaking of dusty and stuff i have a buddy who pretty much strictly a wcw/nwa guy. to this day he can't understand how wwf ever beat wcw in the ratings. he named off the star power wcw had in 1998 and asked what did wwf had. here is who he named for wcw

hogan
    piper
    bret hart
    kevin nash
    scott hall
    macho man
    sting
    ric flair
    harlem heat
    lex kuger
    goldberg
    DDP
    the steiners

anyone notice something? the star power he named is almost all old guys at the end of their career no longer putting on top matches. add to that the terrible booking. celebrities coming in for no reason. everyone on the roster becoming part of some faction of nwo. it's like he still to this day doesn't get what happened .

i told him wwf by 1999/2000 had these huge draws
    HHH/DX
    the rock
    stone cold
    undertaker
    mankind
    RVD
    HBK (sorta)

plus all the younger talent that WCW ignored started jumping ship to WWF in 1999.

his exact answer was "man thats guys could never draw for crap"

lol well they outdrew WCW so i guess he's wrong

Daniel Plainview likes this.
  2. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

It was so frustrating during that 1998-99 era when the most entertaining WCW guys like Jericho, Eddie Guerrero, Benoit, Raven and the Flock, Buff Bagwell, and DDP were being held back by the older guys who had influence and would be shown in the beginning of a Monday Night Nitro and Thursday Night Thunder.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Clueless Mark.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  4. Matthew Tate

Agreed and they started jumping ship before 2001

5. Matthew Tate

Yeah, doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that if raw was drawing bigger ratings then they could draw. Prior to the NWO thing I’d say only flair and sting were still drawing at that point. The rest of the guys he named got a huge boost from the NWO stuff

blutiga likes this.
  6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

The thing is that I also preferred WCW. And watched the book themselves into corner after corner. Start silly angles and let angles just drop with no explainations.

Also fake electric chairs and Robocop.
    I went with Jericho, Benoit, Guerrero, et al.
    By the end All I cared about was Goldberg and DDP. And Flair.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Matthew Tate

add sting and booker t and thats me. they needed to do more with the cruiserweights. they needed to push other guys like they did DDP, booker t and goldberg. they could have survived but they were being run poorly. i'd say same with TNA wrestling after 2010 or so. just slowly went to garbage

8. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

True.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Call me crazy, but I never bought Dusty Rhodes as a main event/world title guy. He just didn't look the part. Yeah, he was a great talker and the fans loved him, but he looked like a big fat guy who never lifted a weight in his life. I get that you have to suspend reality sometimes in pro wrestling, but he just didn't look like a guy you could imagine beating the best to be the world champion. Not saying I prefer a jacked up musclehead who can't cut a good promo (see: the Power of Pain), but I just feel like you have to at least look the part a little, no?

Brenald79, Matthew Tate and blutiga like this.
  10. Matthew Tate

So what are your thoughts on Kevin Owens ?

11. George Co-Stanza

Haven't seen much of him since I almost never watch anymore. I don't recall him being memorable in the ring or on the mic, from what I recall, and he definitely didn't look the part.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Always loved Dusty Rhodes matches (mostly). I do remember the promos he cut for WWF before he was back in the ring there. They were weird and tripped me out lol.
    I seem to recall Jesse The Body calling a Dusty match at the time and saying Dusty had just won an abs competition, not for best abs but for ...'most abs' :D

13. George Co-Stanza

Haha, funny. I will admit that my dislike for him only went up when he got to the WWF and Randy Savage was wasted in a feud with him for the better part of a year. Savage was one of the guys at the time who you could always count on to give a great match at the PPV matches, yet at WM6, he was wasted in the comedy mixed tag match with Dusty and Sapphire. That was gross.

Matthew Tate and blutiga like this.
  14. blutiga

blutiga Forum Resident

Yep. Having Savage caught up in that angle was a waste as far as the in ring content went. I thought Sensational Sherri was great as usual though.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  15. Matthew Tate

wow, maybe there are some regular WWE watchers on here , but in ROH owens was one of the best in ring performers they had a did pretty good on the mic

16. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

The Daily Times reports that former wrestler Johnny Meadows, who made appearances in WCW among other companies, passed away at 59 due to complications of COVID-19. Meadows, real name John Condrone, was also a Grammy and Dove award nominated musician who had hundreds of songs in radio, TV and films. He had been fighting the virus since late last month and was on a ventilator since September 28.

Honeslty, I have no idea who this guy is.

17. Matthew Tate

yeah, looked him up and still don't remember him

MikaelaArsenault and blutiga like this.
  18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

He was enhancement talent in most cases in the territories. There is nothing wrong with that. His job was to put over his opponent and make him look good. These guys were really the backbone of a territory. and completely unsung.

RIP sir. Damn virus.

19. Dugan

Dugan Senior Member

20. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

very early wrestling fan when I was a kid: The Sheik, Dick the Bruiser, Pampero Firpo, Bobo Brazil, George "The Animal" Steele, Haystacks Calhoun, Bull Curry, Dusty Rhodes, etc.

blutiga and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

The art of the "squash a jobber" match is lost in today's modern "sports entertainment". I miss those old 3 minute matches.

22. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Hey neighbor!

The Dark Elf likes this.
  23. Banter

Banter Forum Resident

This is going to be a wild statement and its never a popular opinion, but TNA ~2009-2014 is one of the most entertaining runs of wrestling since the attitude era. Sure Bischoff and Hogan had their shenanigans, but they were generally putting on a great 2 hour show. The talent they had on that roster was fantastic. They had a solid production, interesting angles, actually put over new talent, a more adult-oriented program. I had more fun watching that era compared to anything else since WWF bought out the WCW.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

You'll appreciate this. I was among those in the ring for "Irish" Micky Doyle's retirement over in Windsor. I was also at the funeral for Mighty Igor(Dick Garza) which was literally down the street from me. I have had great conversations with Joyce Farhat, Sheiks wife.

MikeInFla and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

El Garfio. Wooo yaahhh

A claw hold. He used a magic marker to make his finger pads black like there were implants or something. Such a simple gimmick.