All 45 seasons of SNL coming to Peacock Streaming

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Timeless Classics, Sep 25, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon Crisp

Gordon Crisp Forum Resident

Outside of the opening sketches/WU, not as heavily as you might think.

2. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I remember all the cast quitting that year. Did all the writers quit too?

3. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Then he was in a Jackie Rodgers Jr Jackpot Wad sketch. Matched up with Crystal as “Sammy Davis, Jr”. I vividly remember the sketch. Sammy saying Yiddish-isms and Rob guessing “Things you hock up in the morning!”

4. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

Yes. If not all, then almost all. The only holdovers were director Dave Wilson, talent coordinator Neil Levy (who was some relation to Lorne Michaels, possibly his cousin), and Walter Williams, who continued contributing Mr. Bill films. Probably most of the technical crew as well.

NaturalD likes this.
  5. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

that was a rough one

6. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

similar threads have been merged

7. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

Gee the same as Hula edited too death,not just all the music

8. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

There were seven episodes that never aired on KDOC when I was watching in the late '80s:

Dick Cavett / Jimmy Cliff (1/31/76)
    Dyan Cannon / Leon & Mary Russell (5/15/76)
    Kris Kristofferson / Rita Coolidge (7/31/76)
    Ruth Gordon / Chuck Berry (1/22/77)
    Milton Berle / Ornette Coleman (4/14/79)
    Eric Idle / Bob Dylan (10/20/79)
    Kirk Douglas / Sam & Dave (2/23/80)

MarkTheShark and OldSoul like this.
  9. Dan C

Dan C Forum Fotographer

For years I had a pretty dim view of Rocket because of my SNL fandom. He sort of was the face of that unwatchable season. Looking back now though after his sad decline and demise, he certainly had the looks and charisma to stand out, and maybe under better circumstances and some improve work he couldn't been more successful in live skit TV.

He was good in his acting parts post-SNL though. I recall him playing a heavy in an episode of "Moonlighting," and just last night I watched the Disney feature "Hocus Pocus" with my wife and young daughter and was surprised to see him in a pretty big supporting part as the dad. Entirely delightful performance. It's really a shame how it all ended for him.

dan c

krock2009, OldSoul and Steve Litos like this.
  10. After SNL, Newman pulled a "Jennifer Grey" and got a nose job that made her instantly anonymous. I watched her on some sitcom and had no idea it was her until I saw her name in the credits.

krock2009 and OldSoul like this.
  11. Duke Fame

Duke Fame Sold out the Enormodome

100% agree. The best years were actually the Carvey, Hartman, Nealon, Meyers, Farley years.

agundy likes this.
  12. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Charlie Rocket had a very visible role in the first 10-15 minutes of Dances with Wolves, but it didn't turn into the breakout role that I think he was hoping for. The producer agreed with me that he had a very sad end, and should have had a much bigger career. But I gotta say, after seeing all those awful Season 6 shows (or at least the segments available on Peacock), Rocket was terrible as the "Weekend Update" guy compared to Chevy Chase or Bill Murray.

dlokazip, krock2009, OldSoul and 2 others like this.
  13. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

He a good job as Richard Addison, Dave's (Bruce Willis) jerk brother with a heart on a recurring role.

I believe he played "dream Ed Norton" to Bruce's "Ralph Kramden" and Cybill's "Alice" in a post-coupling episode.

Dan C likes this.
  14. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Shearer became a castmember again in 1984-85, so he must not have held too much of a grudge.

Also, Spinal Tap was on "SNL" 1983-84, so he'd re-appeared on the show before he re-joined the cast...

krock2009 and stereoptic like this.
  15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Shearer's grudge was against Michaels and the staff at the time. When he came back (first with Spinal Tap, then as a cast member) Ebersol was in charge and it was a completely different staff. Although he wound up becoming disgruntled with the show during his second stint also, and left midway through the 1984-85 season.

krock2009 likes this.
  16. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Just saying that Vidiot left the impression that after 1979-80, Shearer had zero to do with "SNL" again...

17. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well, if we change the date to 1985 he would be correct, I believe. I'm pretty sure Shearer has had nothing to do with the show since then.

18. esb100

esb100 Well-Known Member

In the past few months, Gilbert's podcast guests have included 2 hosts from the SNL 80-81 season -- Robert Hays and Malcolm McDowell. Those podcasts included discussions of the SNL shows they hosted.

19. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member Thread Starter

Since Peacock didn't include one of my favorite Christmas skits, I'm posting it here. It wasn't available on youtube, but was able to find a high quality version on vimeo. The Sweeney Sisters bells medley!

20. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

McDowell talked Gary Oldman out of hosting SNL, as he related on Gilbert’s podcast (Tom Arnold was Oldman’s last-minute replacement).

At the time Oldman asked him what hosting was like (early 90s, I think), McDowell wasn’t aware that the show’s cast, crew and writers are replaced over time, and that his bad experience didn’t necessarily mean that Oldman would have the same. Funny story.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    krock2009 likes this.
  21. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

These are utterly worthless. Many of my favorite sketches were deleted because they weren't popular. For instance, when Bernadette Peters hosted, they didn't have a monologue because frankly Bernadette Peters is not a stand up comedian.

Instead, the opening was her dressed as Betty Boop hopping out of the inkwell to do an absolutely hilarious World War II Army hygiene film called Johnny Keep Your Gun Clean, filled with wonderfully suggestive lines like:

I'm waiting for you patiently
    I really want to see ya
    but don't come home to Mama
    with a case of gonorrhea

She had another song that actually became part of her repertoire about masturbation called Making Love Alone.

Both of these were cut out in the entire episode is only 28 minutes.

22. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I don't think popularity of sketches is the reason for any deletions. As noted, the "Get a life" sketch was deleted from the William Shatner episode, and that's easily the best-known and most popular sketch on that episode.

It's a safe bet that the deletion of any musical performance or of any sketch which had someone singing in it was based on musical clearance rates being cost-prohibitive for the songs in question.

23. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

I’d rather no SNL than highly edited SNL...

24. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

Seriously, it's ridiculous. Even stuff from 10 or 12 years ago is edited. There are weekend updates with fades as they clip out various things, taking a 8 or 9 minute segment down to like 5 minutes. Might as well just forget about it.

25. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

Set designer stayed too I think?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.