Fright Night (1985)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Bowie Fett, Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowie Fett

Bowie Fett Forum Resident Thread Starter

I watch and recommend this film every Halloween season. Sadly, most have never heard of the film. Anyone on the board enjoy this classic? I believe the film, along with The Lost Boys (1987), is one of the last great vampire films.

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Haven't seen this in the longest time.
    Watching a bunch of horror flicks this Halloween season. I'll add it to the list.

Roddy 's last great role.

3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

4. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

It's a good one. It's not super scary. It's not exactly tongue-in-cheek but it maintains a playful tone throughout without losing the creepiness and drama. That's a tough thing to pull off, so I give it a lot of credit for that.

5. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Love this flick but not Lost Boys.

Motorcity supernaut and Karnak like this.
  6. DorothyV

DorothyV Forum Resident

Just re-watched this a few weeks ago. One of my favorite 80s flicks. And, Chris Sarandon is so damn sexy in this.

vconsumer and Lewisboogie like this.
  7. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

I had a ticket to see a revival screening of Fright Night at an Alamo Drafthouse in March. It was canceled a week earlier for an obvious reason.

Bowie Fett and Lewisboogie like this.
  8. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I like about the first 1/3 of Lost Boys quite a bit, especially the town/setting and the setup.

Totally lost me when it turned into a live action comic book.

Karnak, Pizza and Bluesman Mark like this.
  9. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

Saw it in the theater when it came out, saw the sequel on VHS, (& it deserves a proper release on disc!), saw the remake with my wife when it came out, & have both the original & the remake on DVD/Blu. I like both a great deal but prefer the original, however I did like how they adroitly updated the remake & find Chris Tennant as good a Peter Vincent as Roddy was, though the characters are written completely different.

The Lost Boys? I tend to agree with Tim S, though I do have it on DVD too.

I find Near Dark from the same year as The Lost Boys, (1987), far superior to either The Lost Boys or Fright Night myself.

Karnak likes this.
  10. SmallDarkCloud

SmallDarkCloud Forum Resident

Fright Night 2 is pretty good, and it’s a mystery why it’s not available on home video. However, a high definition transfer was created for television broadcast, and (last time I checked) a copy of that transfer was available on YouTube.

DorothyV and Bluesman Mark like this.
  11. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Yes. It was nicely atmospheric at the start. It became a giant comic punchline by the end.

Tim S likes this.
  12. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Love it.

“Fright Night...for real.”

13. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

That one with Colin Ferrel wasn't that bad!

14. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I love the original and have been watching it since my neighbor made me a VHS dub back in the day. Now that I have the BD it gets watched quite often.

ssmith3046 and Bluesman Mark like this.
  15. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

I saw it at the theater when it first came out. I have a real soft spot for Fright Night. I really miss Roddy McDowall.

16. vconsumer

vconsumer Unapologetically 70s

How timely! My wife and I watched this just last night. I've been a fan since its release. The combination of humor and horror reminds me of Polanski's Fearless Vampire Killers.

17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I saw it in the theater too. Myself and one other person in the whole place. That was kind of creepy. Love the movie. Roddy was terrific in it.

18. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

Love it. Watched it again a few weeks ago. Always manages to make me smile. Great poster art as well. Every time I see that poster I want to watch it.

I was impressed with the special effects the last time I watched it. It gets pretty gnarly towards the end. Great performances by Roddy and Chris!

“Oh Brewster, you're so cool!”

19. Steve Simm

Steve Simm Forum Resident

I really liked this movie. Went to see it with my wife at the theater when we’re dating. Finally got a chance to pick it up on Blu-ray a couple of years ago.

Bowie Fett likes this.
  20. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

I think I was just the right age when Fright Night came out! I had a mate who really loved it too and we watched it over and over. Saw it last year for the first time since then and I still really enjoyed it. Roddy McDowall is fantastic in it :) I must watch Fright Night 2 again because I remember that being good as well.

Bowie Fett likes this.
  21. Hexwood

Hexwood Forum Resident

The special effects have held up surprisingly well.

Whenever I watch The Lost Boys, I can practically smell the hot dog vendors, the sea air and the bonfires on the beach. It makes me wish I could travel back to 1987 to watch an oily Timmy Cappello rock out. The film plays out like an extra-long music video.

22. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

This is one of my favorite horror movies, with some genuine scares (remember when Charlie goes looking for his mom in her bedroom?). I saw it in the theater when I was a teenager and was surprised at how good it was, given the lousy marketing campaign, which made it sound like a generic slasher pic. Columbia Pictures was way more concerned with pushing their awful flop “Perfect” (with Jamie Lee Curtis and John Travolta) and didn’t give this the attention it deserved.

I didn’t like the sequel. The remake was decent though. It has been difficult to get this on Blu-ray - they’ve released it a few times in limited quantities, though it’s now available for a reasonable price. It’s also streaming on Amazon Prime.

Bowie Fett likes this.
  23. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

24. Bluesman Mark

Bluesman Mark I'm supposed to put something witty here....

The end of their career, as it was the last song they ever released.

Bowie Fett likes this.
  25. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

And a bad song especially from them to boot. Concealed Weapons was at least a little better.

Bluesman Mark likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.