Why do records sound better ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by classicrocker, Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good! Thread Starter

Crimson Witch likes this.
  2. They do to some people.

audiomixer and Bluesman Mark like this.
  3. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

4. zen

zen Senior Member

If CD's weren't so compressed this thread might not exist.

5. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Analog signal - analog studio recording, & analog mastering.

Beamish13 and AnalogJ like this.
  6. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Sometimes they do. Sometimes they dont.

7. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Mild distortion that translates into a warm and pleasant sound to human ears.

8. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Only if the master is good - the other benefits don't register with a digital kid outside of, oh, surface noise

9. Of a certain era, mid range emphasized

g.z. and audiomixer like this.
  10. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Just like I said in the other thread trying to push this same stale argument, the guy who wrote it, bases his position on two things that happen in pressing the record, having nothing whatsoever to do with vinyl superiority: yet another artifact of cutting the disc, and yet another "tweak" that tricks the brain into thinking it's part of what makes vinyl "better". Neither are present in making a CD, because there's no cutting. What he doesn't say is, a savvy engineer with the awareness of these two things, could just as well introduce these same effects in mastering a CD, and it would do the same job, "fooling" the brain into hearing a quality to the music that wasn't there at first.

And, he also stipulates that yes, CD's can sound much better than most of them do. Primarily to the bad reputation earlier equipment had on early comparisons of digital-to-vinyl. And of course, the bad mastering practices of the labels trying to squash everything for earbuds. He simply skirts the conclusion one can easily draw from his own piece, that his lacquer-pressing tweaks could do the same for CD mastering, and admits the other noises present in vinyl play, are indeed an issue CD does not have.

Practically everything one blames on the CD medium is actually a fault of the mastering, not the medium. It's just too complex an issue to communicate it succinctly to people who want to blame digital advances for everything that happened since they were put off by the slogan, "perfect sound forever".

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    frightwigwam and classicrocker like this.
  11. classicrocker

Bad choice of titles on my part I guess.

I was more curious to get some comments on the article where the author comment on mastering practices and how recording and laquer cutting hardware impacts the final sound.

12. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Easily the biggest issue with vinyl - it has the possibility to sound better than any other format - though it also has so many other issues outside of mastering that doesn't affect other lossless means, where mastering and cutting become way less problematic.

13. classicrocker

Didn't notice the other thread on this article so gorts please feel free to delete or merge

14. laether

laether Forum Resident

Back in 00 young ppl said mp3 sounds best.

15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

I don’t think that was ever a widely held position.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  16. Muffinbutt

Muffinbutt Forum Resident

This thread comes up monthly lol

Purple and Chew like this.
  17. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Because they have appealing album art!

Thanks for posting...nice article!

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  18. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Yeah, that’s what I’ve heard. But does that mean that digitally recorded music will sound better on digital playback systems?

I also heard that vinyl captures the entire sound wave without degradation. Is this true? What about the very high quality CDs some talk about here (which I know nothing about)? Would someone really be able to hear the difference between these two media?

19. tequeyoyo3000

tequeyoyo3000 Forum Resident

Given how much we're seeing bands like Linkin Park be an influence on new music these days (I'm 27 so I've lived through it, except I never liked it), maybe in 20+ years in the future maybe we'll see bands trying to emulate horrible mastering practices and super loud compression in an attempt to indulge in nostalgia?

I will admit to liking how low bitrate mp3s sound, they have a certain thrashy appeal. I know I'm in the wrong!

20. Crimson Witch

Crimson Witch Roll across the floor thru the hole & out the door

Do they?
    Vinyl records sound different than digital playback, but that's as far as I'm willing to go speaking in generalisations.

Why do some 45s sound better when played on a 1968 Seeburg LS-2 juke box compared with some $3,5OO home audio systems ?

It's really all about specifics.

bluesky and Lorin like this.
  21. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

(sorry for the cut, just replying to this comment) - the writer actually did touch on that a bit. He's "added stereo tape hiss in very low levels to digital mixes" after mentioning how these things are psycho-acoustic cues in our brain.

I'm sure there are ways to do this on a larger scale, with redbook or hi-res digital, if one wanted to. If I can enjoy a vinyl rip imagine if it was like that + removing all the bad things that vinyl playback introduces. Like IGD.

22. Mirror Image

Mirror Image Forum Resident

Because they don’t.

23. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

A pointless discussion.

24. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Two words, wood glue.

jackfruits likes this.
  25. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

Same reason why watching films in celluloid/nitrate is always preferable to digital: there is a warmth and depth in analog that cannot be replicated through digital means

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.