Amplifier connection question

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by frimleygreener, Oct 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is" Thread Starter

Based in the U.K., but this seems to be something oft referred to....at present all my audio equipment is plugged into a power board(not the most, but certainly expensive).
    I have read that an amplifier is better served by using a separate dedicated spur. Is there any foundation in this, and if so, why?

2. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

Some prefer into the wall direct as it gives them more ooomph and some say the power conditioner makes it sound awesome. What is the truth? Your guess is as good as mine.

Some face placebo effect. Some inherent bias. Some they think a smidge is a lot.

timind, mds and frimleygreener like this.
  3. mds

mds Forum Resident

I feel power amps run best off a dedicated circuit and directly from the wall receptacle and not from a conditioner, however as mentioned above some people swear by power conditioners so if possible give both a shot. Even if you go the power conditioner route a dedicated circuit will still be recommended.

The manufacturer of my preamplifier does not recommend plugging their preamplifier into a power conditioner and recommends straight into a wall receptacle for best sound, so I ran another dedicated circuit for that piece of equipment and for both my DAC and CD player to power off of.

If your power supply is extremely dirty then you will be forced to a power conditioner or some other method of cleaning up the hash.

frimleygreener likes this.
  4. macster

macster Forum Resident

I have mine plugged into my power conditioner, but try it both ways and see what sounds best for you.

M~

chipcalzada and ayrehead like this.
  5. Pmds55889397

Pmds55889397 Forum Resident

I would guess its very much depends on brand

6. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

It depends upon the power quality at your crib. A dedicated line can feed the whole stereo and offer less in-house interaction. If the neighborhood lines are noisy, then you might have to add a power filter as well. None of this matters as much as the quality of your gear...
    -Bill

7. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

What is the rated power of the amp?

8. Classic Car Guy

Classic Car Guy - Touch the Face of God -

Lol... There so many claims. I guess its all about personal preference and whatever you feel right and comfortable.
    I just don't know if I have the kind of wallet to pay for an exclusive wooden block placing underneath my amp.:biglaugh:

9. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Don't forget the cable elevators.
    -Bill

ogdens_sliced and coolhandjjl like this.
  10. Classic Car Guy

Lol... for real? youre not serious right?..:biglaugh:

11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Dead pan doesn't translate well here, eh?
    -Bill

ogdens_sliced likes this.
  12. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

Little blocks that raise your cables off the floor a tiny bit. Really. They exist :shh:
    (Why didn’t I think of that? My garage is chock full of wood scraps looking for a home.)

13. Ingenieur

Ingenieur Just a dog looking for a home...

But is it MAGIC wood?

14. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

Yes. Their magic smoke has not been released yet.

macster likes this.
  15. Classic Car Guy

Sounds like it. But its gotta have a price tag first in order for it to work.

16. Blank Frank

Blank Frank King of Carrot Flowers

*Picks up magic wand*

Izzy wizzy, let's get busy!

I do have a magic wand...

17. frimleygreener

frimleygreener "It 'a'int why...it just is" Thread Starter

It would seem judging by replies to date that there is no scientific nor practical reason as to why an amplifier would benefit from a dedicated spur.

18. Chilli

Chilli Pretend Engineer.

If say unless your amp is drawing serious current it's probably not going to make much difference. We've got proper manly voltage and meaty plugs in this country. :D

frimleygreener likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.