Wharfedale Lintons w/ Sugden vs Yamaha vs Line Magnetic amps

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mahoganydeck, Oct 12, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magoo6

magoo6 Forum Resident

Ah, no, mine's the Mini EL84, not the EL34 ..... which would be fine for you, that's 40w. Actually given that you can also try KT88's etc & also use it as a power amp, that EL34 amp is the one I'd go for, if I was to spend more it'd not be on a straight KT88 amp, I much prefer the EL34 sound, to my ears KT88's are getting towards a SS sound signature. YMMV of course, but that's my take, and with the LM34IA you can try both yourself.

Apologies for any confusion :)

2. russk

russk Forum Resident

The Forte and Cornwall are efficient and you can go low power on them but they really come alive with more. Especially the Forte 3. Personally I wouldn’t go lower than the Sugden’s 20 wpc. The Heresy are better suited to flea watt amps.

IanL likes this.
  3. mahoganydeck

mahoganydeck Member Thread Starter

I have an opportunity to get demo Fortes for the price of new Heresies I think perhaps it's worth it. And now strongly leaning towards the LM 34. I'm thinking if the Sugden was 25w and was really not bad driving the Fortes, perhaps the LM would do a good job with 40w.

4. mahoganydeck

Another Forte question- I have bay windows which stretch all the way from the ceiling to the floor, that's where I was thinking to place the speakers (a few feet away). Knowing that the Fortes have a back radiator, so you think the glass would be a problem?

5. Rick58

Rick58 Forum Resident

I know nothing about anything, but that won't stop me! Seems like if they're the Forte IIIs (latest model) for $3000 seems like a great deal ...! and LM (rated at 40Wpc but ... maybe/likely to distort/clip at lower than that?) seems to be PLENTY of power even if it only puts out 20W before serious distortion ...

You've come a long way baby! From $1500/pair Lintons to (MSRP) $4000/pair Forte IIIs ... but hey if they satisfy your upgrade jones for a few extra years might be worth it!

mahoganydeck likes this.
  6. mahoganydeck

Haha most awesome and genuine response ever - I can go to sleep happy now, thank you!

Rick58 likes this.
  7. Ernie73

Ernie73 Active Member

I heared the Sugden and LM, not the Yamahas. To my taste LM is the right one.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.