What's your favorite piece of absurd music trivia?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BroJB, Jun 6, 2016.

1. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

He sounds like a cross between Lonnie Donegan and George Formby

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Herb Alpert co-wrote "Baby Talk" by Jan & Dean and "Wonderful World" by Sam Cooke.

The first A&M release was "The Lonely Bull" by "The Tijuana Brass featuring Herb Alpert," which came out in late 1962 (and was recorded in Herb's garage).

You'll note that the catalog number was 703... there was no A&M 700-702, but those catalog number were used by Jerry Moss and Herb Alpert's short-lived earlier labels:

• Carol 700 was by "Herbie Alpert & His Quartet" - Sweet Georgia Brown b/w Vipers Blues
    • Carnival 701 was by "Dore Alpert" - Tell It To The Birds b/w Fallout Shelter
    • Carnival 702 was by Charlie Robinson - Love Is Back In Style b/w Peppermint Twist

Why did they choose 700 for their first record release? Jerry Moss wanted it to appear that it was an established label, so he arbitrarily chose to begin numbering the releases at 700.

Much of this info was provided by @HGN2001 over at the A&M Corner forum. :edthumbs:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
  3. MrCJF

MrCJF Best served with coffee and cake.

Oasis were often accused of ripping off The Beatles, but we're actually forced by legal action to give a songwriting credit to the co-creator of "The Rutles"

4. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Who, in turn, had to give credit to Lennon & McCartney on all of his songs (on the first album anyway).

5. kaszpar

kaszpar Forum Resident

American band Coven released an album called Witchcraft Destroys Minds And Reaps Souls in 1969. It not only had a song called "Black Sabbath", but also featured a guy named "Oz Osborne" on bass.

6. BlueSpeedway

BlueSpeedway Curated Iconic Half-Speed Punk

Tight Fit is still going.
    With the original line-up.

[​IMG]

7. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

I remember reading about Tight Fit.

The single The Lion Sleeps Tonight was a studio project, the main singer being Roy Ward of City Boy. When the single became a hit, a "band" was hastily assembled for TV appearance etc. and by some lucky happenstance, not only did they look good but they were all decent singers too so the producer, Tim Friese-Green was happy for them to record the next single (Fantasy Island) awhich was another success and by default, almost, they became the band.

Not sure if that's all true but it's a great story so I hope it is. Glad to know they are still going, too.

uzn007 likes this.
  8. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Tony Glover of early 60s folk combo Koerner, Ray & Glover taught both Mick Jagger and David Johansen to play harmonica.

KeninDC and uzn007 like this.
  9. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

The weird lead guitar on The Firm's "Radioactive" was played by Paul Rodgers, not Jimmy Page.
    The guitar figure was derived from an exercise Rodgers had learned from British bluesman Alexis Korner.
    Korner also came up with the name for Rogers band- Free.
    Page had jammed with Korner in the 60s and Robert Plant recorded 2 songs with Korner in 1968.

M321115, Fastnbulbous and Jonny W like this.
  10. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

I would guess it's a tighter fit now...

11. Seabass

Seabass Old Git

Elvis would today be seen as the less talented twin. The Tupelo Dave Davies

12. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

I have actually performed Doc Watson's "Down in the Valley to Pray" to the tune of "War Pigs". It actually works!

uzn007 likes this.
  13. classicrockguy

classicrockguy Forum Resident

That London apt was owned by Harry Nilsson I believe.

buzzzx likes this.
  14. classicrockguy

I have a feeling that's true :laughup:

john lennonist and funhouse like this.
  15. crustycurmudgeon

crustycurmudgeon We've all got our faults, mine's the Calaveras

You're thinking of Mama Cass and Keith Moon.

john lennonist likes this.
  16. Old Fart At Play

Old Fart At Play He won't eat it, he hates everything

Yes, Janis Joplin died in a hotel in LA and Bobby Fuller (apparently) died in the parking lot of the apartment building across the street.

17. jimjim

jimjim Forum Resident

Always wondered if the 20th Century Christian hymn 'I Am The Lord Of The Dance' was based on (or ripped off from) the old English pastoral song 'The Floral Dance'? Just trying singing the former along to the tune of the latter...surely they didn't Christianise a pagan song of joy?!!!?!!

18. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

The Eagles 1975 album One Of These Nights, kicks off with the title track, which naturally contains one of these nights in the lyrics.

The following song is Too Many Hands, which has a lyric, "One of these days, she may not be so good to you."

:D

PhoffiFozz, Nightfly68 and carlwm like this.
  19. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

And if you play that instrumental song backwards, you'll hear someone say "one of these mornings I'm going to cut you into little evenings!"

20. If I Can Dream_23

Ah yes, that would be Journey of the Sorcerer. I will listen for that next time...:D:p

PhoffiFozz likes this.
  21. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Couldn't remember the title and wanted to get that dumb joke out there before the few brain cells that are still firing today fell out of my ears!!

carlwm, uzn007 and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  22. classicrockguy

Woops my mistake you're right

23. If I Can Dream_23

My four favorite Iron Maiden albums, beginning with Bruce Dickinson's joining the group up through Somewhere In Time, all end with epic songs which also happen to be the longest song on each of the four records...

Hallowed Be Thy Name (Number Of The Beast) 7:11
    To Tame A Land (Piece Of Mind) 7:29
    Rime Of The Ancient Mariner (Powerslave) 13:39
    Alexander The Great (Somewhere In Time) 8:37

carlwm likes this.
  24. drad dog

drad dog A Listener

[​IMG]

If I Can Dream_23 likes this.
  25. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish