Michell Gyro Owners

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by ThorensSme, Nov 26, 2018.

1. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Unfortunately, it's not half the price of a new Gyro these days.

Michell - Gyro SE Turntable with Rega RB303 Tonearm

The North American price of the table has gone up considerably. The example that I linked to does include a Rega RB-303 though.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
    MGW likes this.
  2. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

For some perspective I got my AC motor converted to DC not long after the DC was introduced, that involved using the original housing and Michell keeping my old motor even then, maybe 15 years ago that cost £150 or close to $300 at the old exchange rate, so although $600 is a lot of money considering dealer mark up and 15 years of inflation it's not too bad, especially compared to what certain other companies charge, try buying a genuine Roksan belt if you really want to feel ripped off.

MGW likes this.
  3. LakeMountain

LakeMountain Vinyl surfer

If I order from The Netherlands a Gyro SE without arm and cart and shipping cost is 1926€ or about $2260. If I buy at a dealer in The Netherlands it is 2200€

MGW and glide like this.
  4. glide

glide Forum Resident

I understand new prices in the US have gone up but there is really only one distributor here and they set the price.

Used Gyros can be seen in UK shops for £1500. If they would ship to the US that would be minus a 20% VAT.

There is just no reasonably priced option for new or used parts in the US which is a shame.

5. glide

glide Forum Resident

They absolutely do this in order to promote sales and workmanship in the UK. By design it discourages foreign sales.

I believe VPI does the same thing in the US.

6. MGW

MGW Less travelling, more listening

No, I simply so not buy that or agree.
    Michell will appoint a US distributor to access the market not to prejudice, or rip off, their potential customers. Both Michell and their distributor need to cover their costs and make a profit. Nothing wrong with that and if they do not then they will cease trading which is in no one's interests including the customer's.

Comparing used TT prices to new parts prices makes no sense. Plus there is no VAT on used items so no reduction if exporting £1500 is the price ex VAT.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  7. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Perhaps these folks can help you.

True Point Audio

They produce an alternative power supply for the Gyro, and can supply a 24 volt DC motor too. I don't know what you would mount the motor in, but perhaps they can offer advice there too.

GyroT and glide like this.
  8. glide

glide Forum Resident

They are making an automatic 20% profit because there is no VAT is some foreign markets (like the US), plus they are up-charging, plus the base currency has a higher value.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t be doing this to support the local economy and manufacturing efforts. Just that they are doing it.

Point taken on used goods not being subject to VAT.

9. glide

glide Forum Resident

Yikes! Their website is rough. Looks like you need an existing DC motor to use their upgraded power supply/speed controller.

The search continues...

10. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Yes, their site does look a bit retro, but then again so do our tables!

They mention that DC motors are available for purchase towards the bottom of the speed controller page.

11. Uglyversal

Uglyversal Forum Resident

It certainly works against me, not only I pay higher prices, sometimes it takes forever to obtain parts and even worse in some cases like it happened recently with VDH I am not even able to get a cable because the local distributor decides they will not bring a particular item even when the customer wants it.

Companies like Michell in this case would still get the sale if they did allow me to buy from a UK dealer. I have no reason to e-mail him to ask. I am not going to be discussing why they, or every other company make those choices. I am sure they don't care about what the customer might think. I will simply make my choices too and that will mean taking my business somewhere else, luckily there is no shortage of offerings.

12. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Move to the U.S., we would love to have you.

Andy Saunders likes this.
  13. MGW

Crikey. I really did not think that the points that I made about small UK companies using distributors to expose their products to overseas markets were that difficult to follow. Clearly I am wrong and these basic concepts are more difficult than I thought.

There are costs involved in this including but not limited to marketing, transport, people/salary, etc. Then the distributor needs to make a profit.

This process places product on dealers shelves so that potential customers can have a demonstration and make a reasoned purchasing decision.

The 20% UK VAT is soon swallowed up.

Why some people seem to think that small (six people?) would do this simply to "prejudice" customers is beyond me; if you think that vote with your feet. But, having met Steve, his wife and son when I visited their new factory earlier this year for a demonstration I have to say that I cannot imagine a more genuine group of people who are truly committed to customer service.

14. Uglyversal

I haven't made any personal comments against him and I don't see any reason why you have to involve his family.

As you've said, crickey!!! How hard can it be to understand that these arrangements work against me and plenty of other people???

It's very easy to talk when you are not on the receiving end.

15. MGW

They are the people who own and run the business.

It is still not clear what it is that you think you are on the receiving end of. Other than that it costs money to ship and distribute products half way round the world and you seem to think that you should be exempt from paying those costs when you purchase those products.

16. Uglyversal

I've never said anything like that, you are attempting to twist this into something else. I will ignore any further replies to this subject from you.

17. LakeMountain

Today I checked whether the HR PSU of the Gyro SE is plugged in the correct way. This may only apply to us who live in a 2 pin power plug world with the ground contacts on both sides of the plug (Schuko plug). Earlier I read that connecting the hot phase on the correct side of the motor, resp. PSU can have noticeable impact on sound quality!

I knew that this applies for amps, but never thought it would matter for a PSU/motor which converts basically AC to DC,......and it did!

Luckily I had it already the correct way round. When I turned the plug by 180 deg. and listened again the liveliness and soundstage depth was noticeably less. It all sounded a bit more boring. Turning the plug again, music ( Stan Getz and Antionio Carlos Jobim) was as more real and exciting again!

Maybe a silly question, but is the hot pin and neutral pin always on the same side in UK type 3 pin plugs? I would hope so, because then you are lucky and the designer of a piece of equipment can always design the right connection on a transformer.

GyroT, 33na3rd and MGW like this.
  18. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Yes - you can only plug in the one way.

19. MGW

Interesting.
    Not an issue in the UK as, in answer to your question, the hot/live and neutral are always the same way round. Always provided that the plug has been wired correctly.
    It does also strike me that this potential for reversal, in Europe (and the US?), is an issue that some UK designers may not always appreciate.

GyroT and LakeMountain like this.
  20. LakeMountain

I get that, but is there standard that the hot wire is always on the left side for example?

21. Classicrock

Positive (hot) is on right (brown wire) and is fused. Neutral is on the left (blue wire) and earth pin is central (and larger). Earth is yellow/green wire.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    LakeMountain likes this.
  22. MGW

Yes,
    A British Standards Institution (BSI) standard, cannot recall which one.
    The Regulations that call up the relevant Standards:
    The Plugs and Sockets etc. (Safety) Regulations 1994

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    LakeMountain likes this.
  23. Classicrock

BS 1363

24. LakeMountain

The British system is certainly smarter than the 2 pin system!

25. LakeMountain

It strikes me now as well, hopefully any European/US manufacturers are aware of the British standard when they install 3 pin plugs on their equipment for export to the UK!

MGW likes this.