Woody Allen: Film by Film Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by RayS, Aug 29, 2015.

1. John Lucey

John Lucey Forum Resident

Anyone going to the theater to see A Rainy Day in New York this weekend? Anyone lucky enough to live where it's playing?

2. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower Thread Starter

I know a guy on the Internet who is going. Wait - that's you. :) I'd be looking at about a 6 hour drive, so I'm going to pass. If it was my one and only shot to see the new film, I could see myself making the trip.

stepeanut and John Lucey like this.
  3. John Lucey

Ha! Sadly, mine will only be symbolic, as I can't use the Cleveland ticket that I'm buying. If I drove to Ohio from Maryland to see a movie, my wife would murder me.

4. RayS

So there's this guy, a big film buff, and he drives across 3 or 4 states just to see a film, and after he gets home he disappears .... the neighbors suspect his wife, comedy and pathos ensue.

Panama Hotel and John Lucey like this.
  5. John Lucey

Ha! I'd watch THAT movie!

Panama Hotel, mike s in nyc and RayS like this.
  6. John Lucey

So, A Rainy Day in New York didn't crack the Top 20 this weekend...to be fair, it's only playing on five screens

7. John Lucey

But Rifkin's Festival still Top Ten in its second weekend in Spain. Again, from Comscore's Twitter:

Top 10 Weekend Provisional
    1-Greenland: El ultimo refugio
    2-Pinocho
    3-Eso que tu me das
    4-Como perros y gatos: La patrulla unida 5-Tenet
    6-Padre no hay mas que uno 2: La llegada de la suegra
    7-Rifkin's Festival
    8-Explota explota
    9-The Vigil
    10-Falling

8. John Lucey

mrjinks likes this.
  9. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

So strange, for obvious reasons, that it's not playing here in New York City, not just for the title/plot of the film but for the fact that all his movies used to open here (and I guess LA as well) first.
    Will be coming to digital streaming nov 10th or so, tho, glad to see that.

Hope Rifkin's Festival comes to streaming as well at some point.

John Lucey likes this.
  10. John Lucey

He's always had a loyal following down here in the DC area, too. Our theaters aren't open yet either. I'd love to see it on the big screen, even though I didn't love the movie. And I'm looking forward to getting the Blu-Ray on the 10th.

As for Rifkin's Festival, hopefully the theaters will be open when that one comes around.

From the re-watch file: the missus and I are getting ready to watch Scoop on Blu-Ray...

mike s in nyc likes this.
  11. RayS

I'm quite partial to "Scoop". The plot is very silly but the film is often funny. "The Great Splendini" is perfection in cheesy stage names.

John Lucey likes this.
  12. John Lucey

13. John Lucey

So, in its fourth weekend, it looks like Rifkin's Festival is no longer in the Top Ten in Spain (half of the Top Ten are new releases).

Three weeks in the Top Ten sounds pretty good though...

14. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

Stardust Memories running on Cable this month. Has not aged well

John Lucey likes this.
  15. mike s in nyc

curious what you think 'has not aged well' about it? I remember liking it way back when, tho it was somewhat controversial and challenging for his 'larger' audience he had at the time who had been charmed by 'annie hall' and 'manhattan'. I havent seen it in a while tho.

John Lucey and maui jim like this.
  16. maui jim

maui jim Forum Resident

His disdain for his audience was not charming back then. What really was disturbing was how young looking the woman in his bed was when he returned to his hotel room. Also the newspaper wall paper in his apartment had a headline with the word incest in it. Strange non?

John Lucey likes this.
  17. John Lucey

I saw this again about a year ago and thought that it was great. It is pretty uncompromising about the Sandy character which I liked.

But as far as it not aging well, I guess that I don't really view things through that lens...not that there's anything wrong folks who do.

maui jim likes this.
  18. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Not all that strange when you factor in Dorrie’s incestuous relationship with her father.

Also the woman in the bed was married, and her husband drove her there. :shh:

19. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Nonsense, more like.

maui jim, smilin ed and mrjinks like this.
  20. John Lucey

For folks lucky enough to live in Fort Worth, A Rainy Day in New York opens there today.

A Rainy Day in New York

Where it's playing (The Modern Art museum) looks very cool, too!

21. John Lucey

Ok, everyone probably already knows, but A Rainy Day in New York is now available on Blu-ray and DVD here in North America. Target and Amazon have it now.

Jerry Horne and mike s in nyc like this.
  22. mike s in nyc

I wonder how 'a rainy day in new york' is doing in terms of sales and rental numbers? anyone know? maybe if its big enough, somehow we'll eventually get to see 'Rifkin's Festival' here in the US as well..

23. John Lucey

So, the numbers for last week (Rainy Day in New York's first week) haven't been released yet.

This site usually has the data when it's available. I will keep an eye open to see if the movie makes any of the lists.

Media Play News – Bringing Entertainment Home

24. John Lucey

25. John Lucey

I managed to squeak in my annual Broadway Danny Rose viewing last night. I tried a new strategy with my wife. When she was doing something else, I put on Broadway Danny Rose and started watching it. She sat down, watched it for a few minutes, asked a silly-ish question, then started playing on her phone/half-watched. It IS basically how she watches everything...