“Peanuts” specials leave broadcast television, move to Apple TV+

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Oct 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Apple TV+ Says: Welcome, Great Pumpkin

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  2. brownie61

brownie61 Forum Resident

3. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

The last time I tried watching a Peanuts special on ABC, it was hacked to ribbons. Apple TV+ will carry them uncut (save for the long deleted product placement stuff) and in 4K (ABC broadcasts in 720p).

Plus, Apple will make them available free to non-subscribers in short windows surrounding each holiday. This is a good thing.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And the shows are completely remastered from the original 35mm negatives (done by the great Joe Cook, formerly of Technicolor), and they look spectacular. They've never looked or sounded better... and they are complete and uncut, except I think for the Coca-Cola interstitial commercials in the opening shots.

5. tdcrjeff

tdcrjeff Senior Member

That's not enough.
    :thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

6. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

Never the same without:

7. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

I still remember this CBS bumper:

This changeover from ABC to AppleTV+ proves that established TV network platforms are changing. Finally.
    But that's another dedicated topic for another time...........

8. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I got them all on dvd but still.. this is evil, corporate, wrong.

Dave, joelee, Tanx and 10 others like this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

With a rockin' music logo cut together from three different pieces of tracks from Mort Stevens' Hawaii Five-0 soundtrack (owned by CBS).

10. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I’m all for restoration. How many kids can even name a TV network?

Parents will find a way to get these in front of their kids if they so desire.

11. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Grabbed a whole bunch of my favorite specials on discs. It's the last option we have before 100% of what we see is subject to the whims of the streaming services.

And as good as the Grinch looks on the WB Blu-Ray, the old crappy version with washed-out color is somehow more of a memory jog. Strange.

Dan

12. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I remember the CBS broadcasts, brought to us by our friends at Peter Paul-Cadbury, and Dolly Madison.

13. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I watched “Great Pumpkin” last night and Vidiot is spot on - the special looks better than I’ve ever seen it. This special is my favorite, more so than the Christmas one.

The thing that worries me about shows like this moving to smaller platforms is that fewer people get exposed to them and they start to fade from public consciousness. Look what happened to Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies after Warner Bros decided to make Cartoon Network their exclusive home. The Saturday morning network show was cancelled after over 30 years, and the cartoons were also pulled from syndication in favor of Cartoon Network airings. But after just a few years, the cartoons were shunted off to the Boomerang network and began to fade. Now, twenty years later, they’ve lost a whole generation of kids. Warner has leased some of the cartoons to MeTV starting in January but who under 50 is watching MeTV? I suppose older content like that was going to fade eventually, but Warner’s mishandling sure sped things up.

14. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It's too bad they cut the commercials. But I guess we couldn't hope for those to be retained.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  15. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

From what I've seen so far today the DVD'S are already out of stock at various online retailers. This stinks.

Aftermath and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  16. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

So...the Great Pumpkin really is not showing up this year.

17. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

I have The Great Pumpkin & the Christmas shows on blu ray and they are stunning. Have the rest on DVD or thru purchase at Amazon streaming. Sad they are leaving broadcast television but honestly haven't watched them in years on a network.

18. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

19. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

"Brought to you by the people in your town who bottle Coca-Cola."

20. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

As a kid I have very fond memories of watching "Bugs & His Buddies" weekdays on KTTV channel 11 in L.A.
    After we moved to Oregon, WB cartoons was shown at noon on a show hosted by clown Rusty Nails on KPTV 12 in Portland.
    In the late 70s, they were shown on KPTV weekdays at 3 pm on "Bugs Bunny & Friends". I wish I had a video tape of the opening/closing for that one. They used some really funny music and the montage of cartoon stills and clips chosen was perfect.

21. GLENN

GLENN Forum Resident

I stopped by Walmart yesterday afternoon and they had at least three copies of the 3-DVD Peanuts Holiday Collection so I am once again a happy man.

22. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I was watched all of those type morning or after school local cartoon programs. My least fave though was Casper and Friends (or whatever it was called). I dislike Casper and generally thought the Harveytoons were weak and couldn’t hold a candle to Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  23. Hadean75

Hadean75 Forum Moonlighter

This news prompted me to order the holiday collection from Amazon. I've been meaning to anyways.

I have no love for Apple. If other people like it and use it fine, but I refuse to jump on the Apple bandwagon.

Dave, McLover, Aftermath and 3 others like this.
  24. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

I'm an iOS user and a Mac owner and even I'm less than remotely interested in Apple+ or Apple TV or whatever it's called.

25. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Truthfully, I watched this several years ago and it was one of those shows that, at least for me, didn't age as well as the Christmas special. I remember liking it a lot more.

Still, I think a lot of people got a rock this year.

Dan

GLENN, MikaelaArsenault and mmars982 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.