Nancy Sinatra Reissue Campaign via Light In The Attic [Coming 2021]

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FJFP, Oct 8, 2020.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I know there isn't space for everything on a single disc, but it's a shame Love Eyes, 100 Years and Drummer Man aren't on the compilation, especially with all being non album singles.

It's great to see Nancy's catalogue being treated with this much respect and detail.

CliffL, RSteven, Jarleboy and 3 others like this.
  3. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast Thread Starter

I really hope we get a non-LP collection with all these cuts on. That would be an essential release.

Glad to see it all staggered as well. Makes this a little more comfortable!

4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'd definitely be in for that. I have a lot of 60s Nancy 45s in superb condition but we didn't get picture sleeves in the UK. There's a lot of non album tracks on them. I won't have heard stereo mixes of most of those tracks.

I think a lot of Nancy's best solo songs were non album.

5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

Nancy recorded so much that those non-LP singles were so terrific, in addition to the ones you mentioned like Good Time Girl, Lightning's Girl, Last Of The Secret Agents, etc!

goodiesguy, RSteven, Porkpie and 2 others like this.
  6. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

This single almost always seems to get overlooked and it's one of my favorites

"Coastin'"

cwitt1980, Tord, RSteven and 3 others like this.
  7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The City Never Sleeps At Night, a great multi million selling B-side, but not easy to get on CD. To be honest, I think there's some dross on some of her albums, but the singles were almost always good.

Beaneydave, RSteven, Andrew J and 2 others like this.
  8. FJFP

The flip of Love Eyes - and it's on the Sugar LP! Great little Hazelwood tune though.

RSteven and Man at C&A like this.
  9. Chris C

"The City Never Sleeps At Night" is yet another GREAT single, which was wasted as a b-side, in my opinion.

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I never play that LP! Great cover though.

RSteven and FJFP like this.
  11. Chris C

Ironically, that 45 was one of my very first as a child and I never knew back then, what was the A side versus the B side. "Love Eyes" has never been one of my favorites, no matter what the case

Chip TRG, FJFP and Man at C&A like this.
  12. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Definitely. Those tracks should have made it to the albums over some of the weaker cover versions or more slushy material. Generally, musically she needed Lee Hazlewood. It's rare for a US artist to have so many non album tracks on 45s.

13. Chris C

AMEN to what you wrote, but I will add, that she also needed (other than Lee), Billy Strange arranging and Hal Blaine on those drums!

RSteven, Man at C&A and FJFP like this.
  14. FJFP

It's a favourite of my Wife and I, so it comes out pretty often. I agree further up though that using Lee's originals with Billy arranging was the perfect combo for the material she needed to sing, which was surprisingly not that common on the LPs. I wonder why they took such a 'British' approach to the singles?

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

For certain! Drummer Man is one of the few, possibly the only record he played as a session musician on that's he got a credit on the label for.

RSteven and Chris C like this.
  16. pghmusiclover

I remember Nancy singing that on her live from Vegas special and thinking "where did that awesome song come from"? I never found a single for it until much later!

17. Chris C

Side bar post that doesn't feature Nancy, but I know that so many have never heard this and it's so great!

18. S0NG4U

S0NG4U Well-Known Member

Here is the first remastered song released from the compilation "Start Walkin, 1965-1976"

"Indian Summer" with Lee Hazlewood from 1976

Tord, RSteven, Man at C&A and 2 others like this.
  19. pghmusiclover

Love it!!! Thanks for sharing the link.

RSteven and S0NG4U like this.
  20. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I got lucky with the Nancy 45s. These Boots..., Some Velvet Morning and Lady Bird turned up in charity shops for about 50p, then I got a pile of about 10 from a record fair for £1 each. All are in their original Reprise sleeves in excellent condition. I'd never heard the majority of them before I got them. Only These Boots Are Made For Walking and the Nancy & Lee album. I now have all the 60s LPs too.

RSteven and S0NG4U like this.
  21. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

No slight on Nancy, but I think any interest in a re-release of Nancy & Lee would be driven as much, if not more, by what seems to be a renewal of interest in Lee Hazlewood's work. His "last of the cowboys" image has lent him a kind of legendary status.

Having said that, I think songs like "Some Velvet Morning", "Summer Wine" and "Sand" were pure genius, and the two singers were a perfect foil for one another. He was the man-of-the-world, gruff and manly yet vulnerable, while she was sometimes the innocent little girl and sometimes the seductive temptress. I have never quite forgiven Tom Jones for holding "Summer Wine" out of the top position on our local top 40 chart.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Suncola, stefane, CliffL and 4 others like this.
  22. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Really good, wish it was from eight years earlier though.

RSteven likes this.
  23. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

True story from the mouth of Bob Lind:

He was initially resentful of the fact that Nancy's "Boots" kept "Elusive Butterfly" from making No. 1 on the singles charts. However he later forgave her when she recorded his song "Long Time Woman", which he said was one of his favourite covers by anybody of any of his songs.

Jarleboy and RSteven like this.
  24. pghmusiclover

Lee's hand in the production of Nancy's recordings is immeasurable. However, that being said, Nancy's contributions cannot be taken for granted -- her vocals on their duets work as a perfect contrast to Lee.

This is especially apparent when listening to some of the other duets Lee recorded over the years -- the other vocalists just do not have the same chemistry.

25. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Also 80 candles crowding the birthday cake, in June. Wow.