Bluetooth connection for B&W Zeppelin Mini

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by davidpoole, Oct 20, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidpoole

davidpoole Senior Member Thread Starter

How do I connect Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin Mini speakers via bluetooth for the best sound?

These speakers sound fine, cost $300 on release, but have become frustrating to use due to the iPhone easily getting knocked off the adaptor.

These come with a 30 pin iPhone dock. I've an adaptor for lightning but its unreliable. The speakers support USB 2.0 B and auxiliary headphone jacks. There's an inexpensive bluetooth to aux adaptor, but that seems lossy. Looking for bluetooth dongles, they're all USB 2 (not the old fashioned "B").

Here's the easiest option.

[​IMG]

Part of the attraction of the speakers is the bitstream to B&W DAC using the 30 pin. There are bluetooth to 30 pin adaptors but they all explicitly say they don't work with B&W.

This is what the 30 pin adaptor looks like.

[​IMG]

Suggestions welcome.

2. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

davidpoole likes this.
  3. davidpoole

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes, it does sit in the same location most of the time, so a powered adapter makes much more sense.
    These output to the 3.5mm aux cable, which the speaker supports, though seems like it'd be lossy. Now I'm wondering if a wireless solution makes more sense than Bluetooth.
    First stop I'm exploring a 30 pin to lightning cable to see if that avoids the spotty connection between phone when its sitting on the speaker cradle with the small adaptor.

What's confusing is the 30 pin to lightning adaptors say 'doesn't support audio' and seem to be just for charging.

Apple changing the standard plugs is frustrating.

4. Vincent Kars

Vincent Kars Forum Resident

Bluetooth is lossy by design.
    If it uses the standard codec (SBC), you probably get 328 kbs, say high bit rate MP3.

The ZEP also has USB. I assume it it is UAC1 so 24 bit / 96 kHz max but this will probably fulfill all of your requirements
    A simple test might be to connect it to a PC or Mac and check if you get it to work.
    If it does and you want it wireless, today a Raspberry Pi is the answer to all you audio needs. :)
    The Well-Tempered Computer

5. davidpoole

Thanks Vincent.
    The lossiness has been less of an issue with Spotify, but since I trialed Tidal (up to 192khz) I'm hooked on the less compressed sound.
    I use the USB with a laptop also, though somehow USB 2 B doesn't seem to work with audio from USB C (I upgraded the laptop which has the newer input...worked fine with USB 2A on older laptop).
    Love that link for DIY DACs and music servers. Super cool.

6. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

7. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

My wife uses the b&w zeppelin mini in her washing room, I 've connected a Chrome audiocast so she can now stream her spotify to the zeppelin mini (she doesn't use her ipod anymore). Might also be an option...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.