Pink Floyd Animals in 5.1 Speculation, Now Pricing & Shipping thread starting Page 248

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Apr 16, 2018.

1. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Oh that will be completed soon, surely before the Animals box comes out. AND I'm counting with covid delays :)

2. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

Thanks for sharing, it’s interesting that such a large power station had an operational life span of less than 30 years. It will be now interesting to see how the whole area looks once fully transformed. The new US consulate is not too far from here now.

3. Ricky Lampoon

Ricky Lampoon Forum Resident

NunoBento likes this.
  4. I used to live in Pimlico, you could see it over the river, you could take the river bus to visit it.

5. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

Churchill Gardens?

6. Not quite, I stayed, a different times, in a couple of the "Scottish" sounding terraces to the north of the Gardens.

7. Suggested cover for Pink Floyd - Animals (Mono Release) ;)

[​IMG]

Actually designed by the same Architect, Bankside Power Station was converted to the Tate Modern, Art Gallery in 2000.

[​IMG]

The building was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott, the designer of Liverpool Anglican Cathedral, many of the K-series red telephone boxes, and an important consultant credited with designing the Art-deco exterior of Battersea Power Station.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  8. Galactus

Galactus Forum Resident

I work quite close by and I still get excited everytime I see it. It is a fabulous building and one of my favourites in London.

ropiyas, crossroads69 and englishbob like this.
  9. englishbob

englishbob has left the SH Forums...19/05/2023

A few times a year I travel into Victoria Station, unfortunately the building is obscured by horrible new set of flats. You can still see the building from the riverside though. A special building.

I'm assuming that this SACD has been pulled from release by now, probably in favour of releasing it as something in the "middle years" boxsets.

It's a shame as all the band where waxing lyrical about SACD at the time of the DSOTM release, but I guess things have moved on.

I'm happy enough to skip the SACD and go straight to the Blu-Ray along with the quad mix, in a format and price similar to what they have done with the separate/19xx year sets

mc9 likes this.
  10. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

My work place is right next to the Tate, another very cool building.

CDS AudioFiles likes this.
  11. This could have been an update for the cover of Animals 5.1. Sadly this building is not being built anywhere at present, pigs might fly!

[​IMG]

This was a proposed new BioMass Power Station on Teeside, inspired by Bankside and Battersea, the alternative/actual looks like another chemical plant with little or no aesthetics.

Thomas Heatherwick, founder of Heatherwick Studio, said:

‘Over recent decades we have neglected the cultural contribution industrial infrastructure can make to our society. Power generation is now one of the most hotly debated aspects of our political futures. With growing urbanization and more power stations being built at a local level, we need to find new ways to incorporate these buildings into our lives and make them of benefit to society.

Britain has a heritage of building amazing power station buildings. Bankside and Battersea weren’t just boxes to house machinery – they had a richness of material and scale that celebrated power generation. Now, with the impetus of alternative energy production we have an opportunity to make new power buildings updated to fit this age. It is exciting to be working with BEI to redefine this type of building and celebrate energy production again.’

BEI-Teesside will be powered by palm kernel shells - the leftovers, or by-products, of the palm oil plantations. The benefits of this are that no land will be diverted from food production or from forestry for the fuel. It will also provide the palm growers with additional revenue and clears away a waste product that they cannot use themselves.

12. Mr.eMO

Mr.eMO Forum Resident

It's speculated that Dave won't allow the release of Animals 5.1 in retaliation for Roger not allowing the release of Meddle in 5.1 and Obscurred by clouds in 5.1 because Dave used his favorite mixing engineer for those, and not the anointed engineer.
    It's been suggested that there is not enough bonus material for an Animals immersion boxset. I would guess that Animals 5.1 will still be an SACD, as Wish You Were Here was also released in that format. Maybe it could be an Endless River style set (Blu-ray + Audio CD)?

zinan, tedhead and rontoon like this.
  13. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I love the presentation for that set. If they all would be released like that they could have my credit card number on file.

mark winstanley and Mr.eMO like this.
  14. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Or a scooter!

[​IMG]

Azza200, Simon A, AZRunner and 6 others like this.
  15. Ah! Quadrophenia, would seem wrong to release that in 5.1 before Quad.

That album was partly recorded at Ramport Studios (owned by The Who) in Battersea, as was Supertramp's Crime Of The Century.

JulesRules likes this.
  16. englishbob

Already been done

AZRunner and rontoon like this.
  17. englishbob

This is BS. Listen to this at 32:15 minute mark....
    https://dcs-legends-the-other-side-...nds-the-other-side-of-the-glass-james-guthrie

5.1 mix of The Wall
    New 2.0 and 5.1 mix of Animals
    Both James Guthrie

18. My mistake! You're right, slipped my mind.

I have a 24bit 96kHz Original 1973 Stereo Mix, remastered in 2013 with the 17 original tracks and 25 demos.

The 5.1 mix was only on the BluRay and I don't think that that is still readily available.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

It's not B.S. you just didn't read @Mr.eMO's post correctly. He never stated that Gilmour was preventing Guthrie from doing the new 5.1 mix of Animals, he simply pointed out that Gilmour has been preventing it from being released which is 100% true.

J_D__, Azza200, zinan and 2 others like this.
  20. englishbob

If that is true then it sounds like James Guthrie has wasted a lot of time mixing The Wall in 5.1 if Gilmour is going to block it out of spite. Guthrie has done a lot of work with Dave, either for the band or solo, so it makes no sense. You say its 100% true?

21. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I am honestly really disappointed with him here. He’s not looking too good, but in a way I don’t blame him as he seems to be protecting himself from Rogers machinations.

22. rontoon

Actually it makes a lot of sense if you kept up with the thread. Both titles will eventually be released so no time or money will be wasted.

J_D__, Mr.eMO, Simon A and 4 others like this.
  23. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

I'm sure Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock will thoroughly enjoy it just in time for Christmas 2266 or so.

ropiyas, RockNRod and rontoon like this.
  24. rontoon

I'm sure they will. But the question is will Mr. Spock be a fan of Spock's Beard? :p

25. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

Sir, this is the Pink Floyd Animals 5.1 thread, we can't be talking about other artists in here, that would be chaos. :)

(no this was not a setup for that but I couldn't resist :D)

Baidur, SilverCheek and rontoon like this.