JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. coolhandjjl

coolhandjjl Embiggened Pompatus

A side note, the JBL engineer who designed the 4311 studio monitors/L100 consumer loudspeakers, Bart Locanthario, was poached by Pioneer to develop their consumer loudspeaker lineup that became the Pioneer HPM series.

Fruff76 likes this.
  2. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Guess who's coming to dinner?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

My bedroom speakers are/were junk. I needed something new but I just couldn't justify new speakers for the bedroom.
    I run those off an Onkyo TX-8511 @ 100 watts per, and run my office speakers from the Onkyo also.
    So I'll put the office speakers (JBL Arena 170) in the bedroom and the L82s for the office.

Monty12 likes this.
  4. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Nice choice, when do you get them?

Monty12 likes this.
  5. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I just placed the order, I have confirmation but no ETA yet.
    I went with blue. I got the brown/black for my L100 and got a set of orange grills shortly after that for them. So blue was the logical choice.
    The bedroom speakers that will be leaving me were JBL ES20.
    Not a bad deal,
    MSRP-$2500.00 speakers
    MSRP-$250.00 speaker stands
    My price for both-$2499.00 plus sales tax and free shipping.
    Music Direct, ask for Tom T

Monty12, DavidR and Fruff76 like this.
  6. Sbcrue

Sbcrue Well-Known Member

Awesome! Once I'm ready to purchase I'm going with Blue. That's a good deal you got on them.

7. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

When you get your L82's you may find the treble a little grainy and the bass a little congested, don't worry all that goes away after about 100hrs, the soundstage opens up after about 30hrs depending on what music you play. Very different from my old Harbeth's they did not change at all over time!

Not sure how this corelates with L100 users experience's of break in.

Fruff76 and SunSon like this.
  8. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Seems like 70 hours were mentioned somewhere about the L100 break in time. Like I said earlier I play mostly acoustic jazz and I thought I should loosen them up some more so I got out some old rock CDs out and had Berry Oakley, Jack Bruce and Jack Cassidy bouncing those babies good.
    They always sound good to me.

Monty12 likes this.
  9. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

I can confirm, this is true for the L100.

DavidR likes this.
  10. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Out of interest what is your full system?

11. Fruff76

I use an old Adcom GFA 555 (Nelson Pass designed) for the power at 200wpc and the pre section only of my NAD M3. I have a Rega P3-24 with stock Elys cartridge but I do my primary listening through the Cambridge audio CXN V2 via Tidal. I also have an SVS SB3000 sub for extra low frequencies only. My cables are nothing fancy - mainly lower priced Kimber Kables. The sound and presentation is so spot on for my taste, in my room, that I have zero desire to swap out or upgrade anything and that includes the 30 year old amplifier.

for further reference, I once had McIntosh amps, a VPI Classic with a grado cartridge and The following speakers:
    Audio Physic, Totem, Thiel, Gallo, Magnapan, Proac, Golden Ear, Spica, Acoustic Energy, Elac, Usher and many others.

my system in its current form totally mops everything before it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    DavidR, Clay B, Monty12 and 1 other person like this.
  12. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Very nice, the old stuff is the best, my favourite CD player is over 22 years old, I hardly use it now as I doubt the laser has much life left in it.

I am very surprised you are using a sub with your L100's, even my small L82's reach very low in my room, I need to measure it but it must be under 40hz...

I have a SVS SB2000 downstairs on home theatre duties, maybe I will bring it into my listening room and see if it makes any difference.

Monty12 and Fruff76 like this.
  13. Fruff76

It’s not totally necessary, but the SVS is so tight and easy to control that it works nicely. It’s mainly for the very last super low frequencies.

Monty12 and DavidR like this.
  14. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I use a JBL B380 15 inch sub to supplement L100t3's. It's powered by a Sony TA-N80ES operating in mono at 560 watts. It's a pretty good match to the sub's 600 watt power recommendation. Previous to the TA-N80ES I powered the sub with a 300 watt amp and clipping was the norm. Clipping this sub sounds like a sledge hammer hitting a steel pylon, really scary. At any rate, I like dance music and I've gotta tell ya the sub is indeed getting/extracting low end beyond the range of the L100t3's.

Monty12 and DavidR like this.
  15. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

16. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

17. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

SandAndGlass and woodpigeon like this.
  18. woodpigeon

woodpigeon Forum Resident

Of course, thanks

19. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I get the impression from reading/watching available reviews that the L82 is getting more love than the L100. I think I need to check out a pair.

20. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

One thing I love about the L82's is the sound quality at low volume levels.

During the daytime in my home office I listen to classical music in the background, it sounds wonderful, capturing the dynamic swings and low level detail you would normally only expect to hear at moderate to high levels. My old Harbeth's by contrast went flat and uninvolving at the same low levels.

Then when my day is done, I put on some AC/DC, ZZ Top, turn the volume up and rock out!

SunSon, SandAndGlass, mreeter and 4 others like this.
  21. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

This quality is a real bonus for me, I often like to listen at low levels, and as you say many speakers are not good at this.

SunSon, SandAndGlass and Fruff76 like this.
  22. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

What's your amp David?

23. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Marantz PM-KI Ruby.

SunSon, mreeter and MC Rag like this.
  24. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Similar 8ohm specs to mine, that's good. I now just gotta work on my wife!

25. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

The Marantz specs are very conservative, the actual specs are 170W into 8 0hm and 280W into 4 ohm.

Good luck with the wife!

MC Rag and mreeter like this.