Blue Note "Classic Vinyl Reissue Series" - 2020 and beyond...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Briskit, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Briskit

Briskit “I don’t know karate, but I know ka-razy!” Thread Starter

2. Briskit

Here's a release schedule:

Classic Vinyl Reissue Series – Release Schedule:

December 4, 2020

January 15, 2020

• Horace Silver – Song for My Father
    • Wayne Shorter – Speak No Evil
    February 12, 2020

• Cannonball Adderley – Somethin’ Else
    • Joe Henderson – Page One
    March 12, 2021

• Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers – Moanin’
    • Hank Mobley – Soul Station
    April 9, 2021

• Sonny Clark – Cool Struttin’
    • Jimmy Smith – Back At The Chicken Shack
    May 14, 2021

• Dexter Gordon – GO!
    • Eric Dolphy – Out To Lunch
    June 11, 2021

• Grant Green – Idle Moments
    • Kenny Burrell – Midnight Blue
    July 9, 2021

• Freddie Hubbard – Ready for Freddie
    • Herbie Hancock – Maiden Voyage

Ron P., wwright, Greenalishi and 25 others like this.
  3. Briskit

Will be interesting to see how they get around the reported tape issues on "Song for my Father".

4. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Missed out on the MMJ versions of a couple of these, so I'm happy with the option to fill in the gaps without paying $$$.

5. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Awesome. Like many others probably, I’ve got most of these already from either AP or MMJ but I still plan on getting most if not all, especially for titles I only have 45s of (my 1 year old makes dedicated listening a bit harder) Great list and can’t wait to see what other titles get announced.

Curious if we’ll still see some of the AP titles on back order get repressed and what MMJ plans are in the future - maybe sticking solely to the SRX formula?

Sneezyachew, Briskit and Echoes Myron like this.
  6. Briskit

Here is the promo copy:

We’re proud to present the Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissue Series, a continuation of our acclaimed Blue Note 80 Vinyl Reissue Series which was launched in celebration of our 80th anniversary in 2019. The Classic Series will once again feature all-analog 180g vinyl pressings in standard packaging that are mastered by Kevin Gray directly from the original master tapes and manufactured at Optimal in Germany.

In a review of the BN80 Vinyl Edition of Dexter Gordon’s Doin’ Allright, Analog Planet wrote “this reissue is a success for Blue Note in terms of quality at a great price point, and I look forward to the rest of this excellent and affordable series.” In selecting the BN80 Vinyl Edition of Herbie Hancock’s Takin’ Off as their Recording of the Month, Stereophile awarded the sonics of the pressing 4½ stars writing “The sound of this reissue is strong and articulate, with balance and clarity from all the instruments.”

The first 16 titles of the Classic Series will focus on the enduring classics of the Blue Note catalog, kicking off on December 4 with the release of two masterpieces—pianist McCoy Tyner’s The Real McCoy and trumpeter Lee Morgan’s The Sidewinder—both of which are available for pre-order now. The Classic Series will be on-going, running alongside the Tone Poet Audiophile Vinyl Reissue Series which is produced by Joe Harley.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Greenalishi and McLover like this.
  7. Kenny Lagers

Kenny Lagers good ears beat good gear

Well, I guess I know about how long I’ll need a second job—I want them all!

wwright, Sean, RemyM and 7 others like this.
  8. Briskit

I think we're up to 3 x online vendors with regular "3 for 2" and similar sales (Amazon, Target, Udiscover).
    Watch the "Coupons, Sales, etc" thread for the next one.
    From fellow jazz vinyl glutton.

McLover, Sean, Dignan2000 and 7 others like this.
  9. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Just cool as hell.
    Thanks Blue Note.

hopefully they can fulfill my desert island dreams and Empyrean Isles and Night Dreamer will soon appear.

10. Eric_B

Eric_B Forum Resident

The jewels of western civilization, ours for a mere $24.98 -- or $16.66 if we're savvy.

Fantastic news. I'll probably be buying all of these. Even those that aren't 100% up my alley will be hard to pass up given the value proposition.

action pact, Sean, bmh5879 and 13 others like this.
  11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

This is a nice surprise and great way to replace the BN75s. I’m pretty set on most of this first batch. I may check out Real McCoy - I like it and have the 45 but would prefer a solid 33 as its not an all timer for me. And I only have a BN75 of Soul Station so a reasonably priced upgrade sounds good to me. Looking forward to this series down the road to get some titles that were impossible lately to find on MM - Mode for Joe, empyrean isles, Adam’s apple, Street of Dreams, SOOTHSAYER!

12. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

I wonder if they'll do like they did on the MMJ and use the Plangent Process for the title track, and keep the rest of the album all analog.

Pelts likes this.
  13. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

This is a wonderful thing by Blue Note, Don Was is pretty much on fire now with the BN80s, Tone Poets, and now the Classic Series. I have all of these on MMJ or AP already except Ready for Freddie and Page One, but I think I might double dip on a couple of these to have them on 33.

14. I have most of these however many of my MMJs are 45 and I prefer 33s so who knows.

seems like it sort of proves the end of MMJ ??

Edit. Bad part is they’ll be the cheap covers like BN80

Sean, Defrance, Quakerism and 7 others like this.
  15. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Wonder if they're going to use the MMJ 33 plates and just press at optimal? Or are these new cuts once again?

Going to have to perform a "gap analysis" on my MMJ 33 titles and order the missing ones! This is GREAT!!

Kip Kasper and beyondmiles like this.
  16. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Anyone unfamiliar with The Real McCoy, it’s great. I see it like McCoy getting the ol’ gang together to make an early 60s Coltrane style album with a very capable Joe Henderson in Trane’s spot.

17. birchstick

birchstick Forum Resident

Great news! The rebound from the 75th Anniversary series has been pretty incredible!

18. Gdgray

Gdgray Forum Resident

Glad to see Blue Note back in the game. The Orginal BN Label releases represent such an important time in Jazz and America. This music and the artists that made it should not be forgotten. Monk said Jazz is American classical music, ahem.
    I haven’t been this excited about jazz since the connoisseur series started in the early nineties.
    My introduction to many under appreciated artists..... Tina Brooks, Sonny Clark, Grachan Moncur , Andrew Hill and Bobby Hutcherson to name a few.
    I look forward to filling in some holes in my BN records collection.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  19. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

I don't think it's the end of MMJ, they'll repress some of their current titles on SRX for sure in the near future. That's probably about it though.

20. Kip Kasper

Kip Kasper Well-Known Member

Very curious about this as well

21. Briskit

I'm counting 6 x new additions, and 2 x upgrades (hopefully), from the list for me.
    Looks like I'm going to start a fresh 5 x 5 Kallax some time in 2021.
    :bdance:

Noonie, ausgraeme, AFA and 3 others like this.
  22. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

while i really wish they included the beautiful stoughton sleeves, this is such a great announcement. these albums deserve to be in the hands of everyone.

puelche, bluejimbop and Leonthepro like this.
  23. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

The fact of the matter (see what i did there) is that MMJ can't be the solution for retailers to get classic Blue Note titles
    into the hands of the next generation of fans. Their exclusive model of Limited Editions, ordering from their own website in the USA is not
    compatible with supplying B&M or International customers.

I simply don't understand the decision to use such a cheap jacket on the incredible artwork.
    For $1 more, they could have a tip-on. Poor decision that reflects badly on their brand.
    Small labels like Nonesuch and Drag City can sell RTI pressings with Tip-On jackets for under $25
    We've been duped into thinking this is out of reach and needs to be a premium cost, when it's not.

24. keylime_5

keylime_5 Forum Resident

I would be willing to bet they got KG to cut new lacquers for these.