JBL is reissuing the classic L100 speakers

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Monsieur Gadbois, Aug 14, 2018.

1. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I got an ETA later yesterday that they would be delivered today.
    They ship out of the Chicago area which is a 3.5 hour drive to me.
    I moved the other speakers and I am waiting for the FedEx truck. :cool:

[​IMG]

Mad Dog, SandAndGlass, bhazen and 4 others like this.
  2. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

They work.
    Beautiful sound, I first played a few cuts from Lost In A Dream by The War On Drugs and yes there is more bass than the L100, no biggie I turned the treble up a couple of notches but I keep the STC on.
    Then played some ETC by Wayne Shorter and all the clarity is there and depth.
    I took the grills off and there is more of a difference with them off than the L100, and went back to The War On Drugs no covers for listening is the way I'm doing it.
    I put the tweeters on the outside for a fuller soundstage in this tight setting.
    These little guys kick azz, for the people that passed on the L100 these are for you.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Stanton56, Mad Dog, Sbcrue and 6 others like this.
  3. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

What're those grills? They don't look like the waffle ones.

4. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Nice! They change a lot once you have some hours on them, the bass recedes a little and opens up, also the treble smooths out.

I ended up with the tweeters on the outside also, treble is at about 10 past now.

Also play with toe in, I have the tweeters pointing directly at my ears, makes a massive difference in my room.

What's with those grills?

Here are mine:-

[​IMG]

Eigenvector, Monty12, SunSon and 2 others like this.
  5. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

It's the lights and my lame camera
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

That's better!

SunSon likes this.
  7. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

When you say there is more bass than the L100 - have you owned those? I'm presuming the L100 does actually have significantly lower bass (I mean it should do with a 12 incher) but maybe it's just not boosted, which is the main complaint I've read about them.

8. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Good question, that could be why Fruff76 is using a sub with his L100's

L82's do not need a sub.

MC Rag likes this.
  9. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I have a pair of the L100, they are very neutral and I love them.

10. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Great, you're then man (I presume) to talk to. So at low to medium listening levels would you say the L82 has more prominent bass than the L100? In fact maybe you better wait a week or two to answer that as you only just got the L82s right? Are they new?

11. Sbcrue

Sbcrue Well-Known Member

That looks great! Man, enjoy your weekend with that new set-up. I can't wait to finally get a pair of these. I appreciate finding a place where there is some real-life feedback on the L82's.

MC Rag and SunSon like this.
  12. Fruff76

Fruff76 L100 Classic - Fan Club President

The L100’s do not need a sub. I have it on hand for extreme low frequencies. With or without the sub, the L100 will blow you away with dynamic impact.

Eigenvector likes this.
  13. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

Yes
    Right
    Yes

MC Rag likes this.
  14. rill

rill Well-Known Member

The L82 definitely has a pretty big bump ~ 100hz which is similar to most "Bookshelf speakers", which might be why it sounds like it has more bass.

SunSon and MC Rag like this.
  15. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

I gave the L82s the Saturday morning test yesterday and it passed above and beyond the call of duty.
    I get up hours before anyone else on Sat morns so I have to be quiet. Full dynamics and detail at low volumes.
    Very nice. Triple-A-plus.

MC Rag, Exotiki, DavidR and 3 others like this.
  16. Danonano

Danonano Active Member

I've decided to get a center speaker for my L100s, and I'm looking at options. I have a low table in-between them, so another L100 or L82 isn't an option. Also, the new HDI's have a compression tweeter so might not match the L100s very well. My only idea is to look at the Revel line.

Any other ideas for a good center that would work well?

17. SunSon

SunSon Lucky Boomer

After I got my L82s I said that these would be great for people that thought the L100s were to lite in the bass area.
    What type of music do you isten to the majority of the time? If I can be so nosey:)

18. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

That's difficult, maybe:-

Studio 235C | Dual 2.5-way 6.5” Center Channel Loudspeaker

Can you not use the L100's in a phantom centre configuration?

19. Danonano

Danonano Active Member

The center would just be for movies, but to answer your question I listen to a variety of music: lots of acoustic stuff, techno/trance, worship, classic rock, classical etc.

Thanks for the suggestion. Yes they work great as a phantom center when it's just one or two people, but when I have a group that is spread out it becomes a bit more difficult.

SunSon likes this.
  20. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

A center channel speaker does not have to be large or expensive. The Klipsch Heresy was invented as a center channel speaker as fill in for the large corner K-Horns.

Neither does a center channel have to be full range, with a lot of bass. The mains are doing this already, all the center channel needs to do is to fill in the midrange.

You might consider a center channel speaker from a home theater application.

Polk makes a large center channel speaker for their RTi line, the CSiA6.

They are not available on the Polk website but are available through Crutchfield for $199.99 each, available in real cherry wood or black wood veneer.

[​IMG]

I used to have their RTiA9 as mains and later upgraded to the LSiM707's. I bought the large center channel speaker for the LSiM series, but it was too large to fit in the cabinet under the TV.

So I kept the CSiA6 and used it with the LSiM707's. I power it with a 250-Watt mono amplifier to match the amplifiers that I use for the front mains.

The CSiA6 is a very neutral sounding speaker, with clear midrange and a decent amount of bass.

I doubt if you will find anything close to it in performance at this price range. It does not have any drawbacks in my HT / stereo system, which includes rear tower speakers and a commercial 1,600-Watt passive horn loaded subwoofer.

Everything cuts through loud and clear, without any bit of audible distortion.

(Note: I started typing this earlier).

Sterling1 likes this.
  21. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

Hey Fruff, is this you?

[​IMG]

22. Fruff76

YES!

Monty12 likes this.
  23. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member Thread Starter

Found this vintage photo on Instagram.

[​IMG]

24. Fruff76

That’s great

Mazzy likes this.
  25. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Dave, I can't see your profile (limited) - what equipment do you have with the JBL L82s? What size room?