Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Very fine performances that I will come back to.
    Alexander Quartet
    Eli Eban, clarinet
    Brahms: clarinet Quintet
    Mozart: clarinet Quintet

Foghorn Classics, 2020

[​IMG]

Daedalus, Eigenvector and George P like this.
  2. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

If it isn't ok to ask this here please delete, but

I have had the short but incredible experience of hearing pianos sound just rite in my system with a goldring g900igc cartridge who's stylus is basicly on the fritz and needs replacing. This has lead me to wonder, can pianos sound great through a dac and if so which one? my non-oversampling dac makes them sound a little distant/dreamlike, while my hrt music streamer sounds hard, harsh and digital...

3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Since this thread is only for classical music/composer/recordings/concerts, and not hardware, this is off topic.

I suggest starting a thread in the hardware forum.

Thanks! :wave:

4. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

I will do that, I thought you might say that but I'd value the opinions of regular classical piano listeners such as yourself.

5. George P

I regularly check the hardware forum, as do other classical fans, so I am sure that you'll get some good advice there.

6. George P

[​IMG]

Found these two goodies in my local used store today. Can't wait to hear them tomorrow.

dale 88, peter1, Daedalus and 3 others like this.
  7. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Nice finds! I’ve been jonesing for another set of Janáček quartets after watching Dave Hurwitz’s video.

Daedalus and George P like this.
  8. George P

Yeah, it prompted me to get my first set of the Janacek QTs. Excited to hear them soon!

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  9. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Spinning-

[​IMG]

Daedalus likes this.
  10. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This morning I am listening to Tchaikovsky Manfred Symphony. A live recording performed by USSR Grand Radio Symphony on 12/06/49, conducted by Alexander Gauk. Tough sound in places but worth listening to in my humble opinion. Gauk was a master.[​IMG]

Rose River Bear, dale 88 and George P like this.
  11. Daedalus

I have this LP. Nice performance!

12. Daedalus

And now incidental music from Tchaikovsky The Snow Maiden from the Gauk box. Recorded 09/17/51. Moscow Radio Chorus and USSR Radio and TV Symphony. Alexander Ofrenov-tenor. Zara Dolukhanova-contralto. Very nice performance so far.

George P likes this.
  13. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this recent find. I already loved their Mozart quartets and these are at least as good. Great sound too.

crispi, rischa, dale 88 and 2 others like this.
  14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Spinning some pieces I need to familiarize myself with.
    Have not heard Harold in Italy for a while and surprised how modern it sounds at times.

[​IMG]

dale 88, layman and George P like this.
  15. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a recent find. Have never heard the quartets before, but really enjoyed them. (These performances were recommended in a recent survey by Hurwitz on youtube.) As a nice bonus, On An Overgrown Path is also included, thoughtfully played by Radoslav Kvapil. Sound is excellent for all works.

rischa likes this.
  16. mercuryvenus

mercuryvenus Forum Resident

Currently enjoying Rubinstein performing Chopin Nocturnes.

I think I’ll listen to Mozart’s Sinfonia Concertante KV 364 next. My favorite performance of that one, by far, is by Heifetz and Primrose.

Maybe after that, Requiem (the Berlin Phil version, which I think is the best one).

layman likes this.
  17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Now enjoying some Berg and Beethoven.

Isabelle Faust
    Claudio Abbado
    Orchestra Mozart
    Berg: Violin Concerto
    Beethoven: Violin Concerto
    Harmonia Mundi, 2012

[​IMG]

rockerreds, rischa, J.A.W. and 3 others like this.
  18. George P

[​IMG]

Just finished up this great recording!

Eigenvector likes this.
  19. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well, after being pretty good for some weeks now, today I fell off the wagon. Lord knows I don't really need more recordings of Mozart symphonies, but, having liked what I'd heard of them, I've been wanting the Charles Mackerras recordings of the mature ones on Linn SACDs for ages now. Nonetheless, I've always been too, uh, thrifty to spend the $$$ invariably asked for them. Today, however, I discovered that they are on sale at Presto Classical for $20 per 2-disc set, the lowest price I've ever seen for them and less than some Amazon sellers are asking for used copies. Order placed; to be dispatched by no later than next Monday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. George P

I think you will love these, David. The performances are wonderful. As for the sound, they are probably the best sounding classical SACDs I own, maybe the best sounding of any genre.

drh likes this.
  21. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thanks for the insights! I'll be looking forward to their arrival.

22. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Excellent set! They're also being reissued next month in this 5-disc set with the Requiem. It seems that they're CDs though, not SACD, or at least the box doesn't mention anything about SACD:

https://www.amazon.com/Charles-MacKerras-Conducts-Scottish-Orchestra/dp/B08JHTW75K/
    Sir Charles Mackerras conducts Mozart

George P likes this.
  23. drh

drh Talking Machine

Interesting--and probably the reason the sets I bought were on such deep discount. The presto page describes them as "5 CDs," leading me to suspect you're right about their not being SACDs.

George P likes this.
  24. George P

Yep, and if there was ever a set of recordings that deserves to be heard in high resolution, it is these Mozart symphony recordings.

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict