Bands Who Re-Recorded Songs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MortSahlFan, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoot Marimba

Zoot Marimba And I’m The Critic Of The Group

Captain Beefheart re-recorded many of the songs off Bat Chain Puller for Shiny Beast and, to a lesser extent, Doc At The Radar Station and Ice Cream For Crow.

Celebrated Summer and mr.datsun like this.
  2. Hooodo Man

Hooodo Man Forum Resident

not sure it counts as it was never quite a "real" studio track and only put on compilations but Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers recorded "Surrender" several times over the years.

3. Spastica

Spastica Run aground on the floor for you....

This reminds me of the time years ago I bought Chris Rea's greatest hits for Fool If You Think It's Over and it was a damn rerecord.

I was pissed to say the least....

fergojisan likes this.
  4. fergojisan

fergojisan Atari 2600 Gadabout

Try listening to a Pandora 50s channel without throwing something at it :D

Drifter, cmcintyre and Spastica like this.
  5. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

Def Leppard - Ride Into The Sun:

Circa 1979 - Original version on Debut EP
    Circa 1987 - Re-recorded for a single B-side
    Circa 1993 - Remix/Partial re-recording of 1987 B-Side version on Retro-active album.

6. CrawdaddySim1

CrawdaddySim1 Forum Resident

Jeff Lynne released an entire album of re-recorded ELO songs.

And the scary thing is, they sound almost exactly like the originals.

7. andy_a

andy_a Forum Resident

Deep Purple - Hush (1968) and again in 1988 as a bonus track for the "Nobody's Perfect" live album.

8. Damien DiAngelo

Damien DiAngelo Forum Resident

Crimson Witch and moodyxadi like this.
  9. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

Wally Waller, Jon Povey, Skip Alan & Pete Tolson of The Pretty Things re-recorded the band's entire Parachute album in rather spectacular fashion as the xPTs.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dennis Metz likes this.
  10. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

The Police re-recordings of "Don't Stand So Close to Me" and "De Do Do Do" were dismal affairs...

11. CRJ

CRJ Ski Patrol

The Fall
    Hip Priest
    Big New Prinz

Re the first post. I didn't know Floyd re-recorded Money!

12. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

Jane Says and Pigs in Zen were rerecorded for Nothing's Shocking by Jane’s Addiction. They were both on the XXX debut.

13. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

On the other hand, Peter Gabriel's re-recordings of "Here Comes the Flood", one with Robert Fripp and one solo, were both really interesting and valid interpretations of the song.

14. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Yes some versions of Midnight to Midnight include the movie version of “Pretty in Pink.”

bataclan2002 likes this.
  15. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

Catch A Fire: "Concrete Jungle", "Four Hundred Years" (Peter Tosh), "Stop That Train" (Peter Tosh), "Stir It Up"
    Burnin': "Put It On", "Small Axe", "Pass It On" (Bunny Wailer), "Duppy Conqueror"
    Natty Dread: "Lively Up Yourself", "Bend Down Low"
    Rastaman Vibration: "Cry To Me", "Who The Cap Fit", "Night Shift"
    Exodus: "One Love"
    Kaya: "Kaya", "Sun Is Shining", "Satisfy My Soul"

Sounds like the 12"-mix:

As seen pictured in the clip it was featured on the Songs Of Freedom box set, but it is more commonly available as a bonus track on Uprising and also on the Legend Deluxe Edition.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    stef1205 and MortSahlFan like this.
  16. tenohtwo

tenohtwo 1002

Modern English - I Melt With You (1989)
    Real Life - Send Me Angel (1989)
    The Fixx - Red Skies (1987, this was also their first 'proper' music video for the song)

17. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

A few notables off the top o' me 'ead (not all "bands", so forgive me):
    MC5- the '68 A-Square version of Looking At You is way superior to the Back In The USA album cut.
    The Modern Lovers - Roadrunner.
    The Easybeats often had different recordings on foreign 45 b sides that were far better than the album versions.
    The Who - two versions of Circles, although one is called Instant Party on the record.
    The Small Faces - Wham Bam, Thank You Ma'am.
    James Brown often re-recorded tracks, notably I Got You later recorded as I Got You (I Feel Good), Give It Up Or Turn It A Loose, Papa's Got A Brand New Bag (and others) re-recorded with Louis Bellson big band.
    The Colourfield - Sorry b side version is far better than the UK album cut, although appears on the US album.
    Bowie - Rebel Rebel US & UK versions.
    Laura Nyro - Save The Country US promo 45 is a different recording.
    Aztec Camera - early b side versions of Mattress Of Wire, We Could Send Letters, as well as the NME cassette version of the latter, all different to album versions.
    Byrds - All I Really Want To Do 45 vs. album version.
    R.E.M. - Radio Free Europe.
    Beatles - Love Me Do, Revolution.
    Dexys Midnight Runners - Dance Stance re-recorded as Burn It Down, Liars A to E,
    The Rutles - whole catalogue re-recorded when they renamed themselves Oasis.
    Elvis Costello - Town Cryer, Big Sister's Clothes & Big Sister, very different versions of largely the same lyric.
    Everly Brothers - lots of re-recordings.
    The Isley Brothers - Who's That Lady re-recorded as That Lady.
    Dusty Springfield - original UK recording of Don't Forget About Me is better than the Memphis version. Fight me.
    The Monochrome Set - He's Frank (slight cheat as the 'Slight Return' version is a demo), 405 Lines.
    AC/DC - Can I Sit Next To You, Girl.
    Orange Juice - Bridge, Rip It Up.
    Dennis Brown - Money In My Pocket.
    The Pretty Things - Electric Banana tracks vs. Philippe Debarge Versions.
    The Style Council - Headstart For Happiness, The Paris Match, My Ever Changing Moods.
    Teenage Fanclub - Everything Flows 45 vs. acoustic 'Have Lost It' EP version.
    The Miracles - Shop Around.

sotosound and Johnta7 like this.
  18. freddog

freddog Forum Resident

Rolling Stones re-recorded "Time Is On My Side" for the single, switching the organ intro for guitar.

19. zen

zen Senior Member

Also, Bloodsucker (1970) was re-recorded in 1998 as a bonus for the Abandon album.
    And, this year, the Whoosh! album had a new version of "And the Address" which was the album opener on their debut in 1968.

andy_a likes this.
  20. cabledogg2

cabledogg2 Well-Known Member

didn't chuck berry re-record a lot of his stuff in STEREO for the mercury label ?

21. lc317

lc317 Forum Resident

Hawkwind has re-recorded and recycled a ton of their material.

newelectricmuse likes this.
  22. Horse Brunsby

Horse Brunsby Forum Resident

LOL!!!:laughup:

Mesozoic Mike likes this.
  23. JohnQVD

JohnQVD bought too many records this week

Suicidal Tendencies re-recorded their first album with the then-current lineup in the ‘90s. It was just awful. Whatever charm there was in those tracks by the original lineup was gone in that recording.

moe. re-recorded some tracks from their early records for a best-of collection called Smash Hits Volume 1. Some was because their earliest records were budget recordings. Most of the rest was because they couldn’t or didn’t want to license tracks from their two albums that Sony released. I enjoyed the re-recordings. They were probably a better band when they did the new versions.

They Might Be Giants have re-recorded a bunch of tracks, including “James K. Polk,” “Sensurround,” and “Robot Parade.” A couple of times they’ve turned a very short song that was almost a sketch of a song into a full song by writing more (“First Kiss”/“Another First Kiss”, “Boss of Me”).

Disco Robot and fergojisan like this.
  24. Jake362

Jake362 Mystic Knight of the Oingo Boingo

Todd Rundgren's With a Twist

25. Rockerbox

Rockerbox Senior Member

Benny Mardones made at least 5 different recordings (including the original) of "Into The Night". At least 2 recording of "Cindy C" and 2 of "Hold Me Down".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.