Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2021 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackstraw78, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Good on ya, mate!

warewolf95 and SJR like this.
  2. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Lexington's a very well known/heavily circulated show, and I thought Dave was saying something more under the radar. I'd guess Blacksburg 4/14/78, with Pittsburgh and Columbus being candidates as well.

3. 4/12/78 exists as a Betty Board and has some sound issues in the first set as I recall, which might prevent a full-show release, so a possibility for filler. That's not exactly an under-the-radar show, though.

trd, budwhite, trumpet sounds and 3 others like this.
  4. US Blues

The Black Peter from VPI is simply astonishing.

trd, budwhite, adamos and 3 others like this.
  5. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

And if it proves to be one you really want, you can get it.

I'm spoiled, my local indie obtains a few of every Dave's, including ones with bonus disc strapped to the back. Caveat being, those are especially hard to pass up even if it's not one I'm pining for. (Not pining for much at this point ~ but primal Dead is my strain of rabies.)

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Crispy Rob and US Blues like this.
  6. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Saw this thread and instantly subscribed for my 4th year :D

7. +1 :righton:

8. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

Yes.........I adopted an adult cat from a shelter 2 weeks ago. This was just a regular checkup.....always advised when you adopt, because shelters can't always catch everything.

trd, JeffreyB, ARK and 10 others like this.
  9. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

I’m in for my 4th year as well. I’m sorry I missed out on some of the earlier subs, especially the one with Dave’s 11... love that Bird Song, and I’ll probably never own it.

Some time ago, Princeton Record Exchange acquired a large GD cd collection, and when they hit the racks I was shocked at how much the earlier Dave’s sets were priced at - some were $150-$200 or more.... yikes.

10. citizensmurf

citizensmurf Ambient postpunk will never die

I started subscribing in 2018 as well, and managed to get copies back to #10 (as well 6 plus the bonus!), but soon after prices for those early ones started climbing up to the moon. I'd love a complete collection, but not for the price of rent.

Doggiedogma, warewolf95 and BlueTrane like this.
  11. Howard Bleach

Howard Bleach Imperial Aerosol Kid

I'm in for another year! As many have said, it's a no-brainer at this price and it gives me something to look forward to four times a year. And I absolutely love 78 (though it took me many years to come around).

Clearly there are at least 22,000 people who don't feel the CD is outdated! I'll say that if and when the series becomes anything other than CD, that's the year I stop subscribing.

12. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Got mine yesterday. Always fun wondering what the seagulls will tell Dave to pick next.

13. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

Unfortunately next year, you also potentially have to listen to 3000 more jokes about what number disc we got.....

14. US Blues

#22,001 thru 25,000 will be comprised of those discs that usually fail even the most basic QC standards.

15. warewolf95

I get the collectability factor, but prices for older volumes on the used market are just idiotic

trd, aoxomoxoa, Blue Note and 2 others like this.
  16. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I liked owning the early Dave’s Picks but I hated handling $500 CD sets.

17. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

The old expression applies here - it’s worth what someone will pay for it. We’re also good about compartmentalizing our spending. If my wife and I go out for a date night and get two steaks and a bottle of wine, we spend more than an EBay Dave’s 5. And really, a NY Strip vs that Here Comes Sunshine??

18. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

In line for it now. Gave the Cornell LP a spin yesterday to get my game face on.

19. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

In for another year! Send me four shows from '95 for all I care.....there's a certain feeling of security knowing that my mailbox will get four happy surprises over the course of the next year.

20. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Got mine this morning too. YAY!

Woodville and dtuck90 like this.
  21. warewolf95

:D I like your comparison

ARK, jmadad and US Blues like this.
  22. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

23. Butch1970

Butch1970 Forum Resident

Grabbed a copy of Buffalo ‘77 this morning. Pricey locally, but didn’t wanna gamble on trying to find one on the ‘net tomorrow. Will pair well with Cornell ‘77

24. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

25. ducksdeluxe

ducksdeluxe A voice in the wilderness.

This, as much as anything else, is why I subscribed again. 2020 has been a largely un-grateful year for me-musically and otherwise- but this is the best deal anywhere. Plus 4/15/78 was an early tape for me. Short show, but a blast.

7th subscription year for me. I have the first 36 so I guess I'll keep on with this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.