Good deals on eBay : Post the hot deals you find on eBay.com here

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by kwadguy, Mar 12, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Update: this guy now has 38 negs for fake tracking numbers in the last 3 weeks. (the seller had 100% fb when I ordered) Ebay has not thrown him off the site. Ebay was supposed to have a supervisor call me by Friday. Didn't happen. I was also told that the website was supposed to let me file a quick claim today. Didn't happen. I s/w Asian cs. They opened the claim, but claim they can't file it until next Friday & I have to call them again for them to do so. Then there will be another time lapse before I get the money. This is the 2nd time this has happened. I am close to done with ebay. Not that I'm an Amazon fan, but I would have gotten my money back on my first call to them.

Lastly, the item (a box set was only a couple dollars cheaper on ebay at the time of purchase than it was on Amazon. It's now gone up by more than $40 on Amazon. Grr.

2. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Can't you jump right to PayPal and file a dispute there as well?

3. moomoomoomoo

Ebay states on line that if one files multiple disputes (Pay Pal, Credit Card Co) they will permanently cancel the dispute filed with them. I know ebay is divesting themselves of Pay Pal, but I don't know where they are in the process (i.e., would it do any good?).

While I did so here, the moral of the story is check a seller's fb on ebay very closely with a fine tooth comb before buying anything. Ebay doesn't care; they believe they don't have to. I suspect this may be an account hacked by an Eastern European. I'm amazed ebay hasn't suspended the account.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

eBay has a process, and that process has set time intervals. If the tracking number doesn't work, then you WILL get your money back. But you have to be patient and wait for eBay to work through their time intervals. When sufficient time has passed, you can file a "didn't receive" case and they can check the tracking and find out that it was never shipped, and then you'll get your money back.

Yes, it can be frustrating. But it's how eBay works, and there's not much you can do.

As someone else said: Do NOT file an additional claim with PayPal. Let it work through the eBay process.

I have purchased things before where the seller was clearly fraudulent to eBay, and they both removed the original listing AND emailed me to tell me that it was probably fraudulent. I STILL had to wait for the sufficient interval before I could file a case to get my money back. Once that interval passed, I filed the case and got it refunded in about 5 minutes.

5. moomoomoomoo

That's what I'm doing. It is very frustrating. The guy has gotten 54 negs this month for fraud & ebay has not removed him from the site; in fact ebay is going several days longer then the posted time frame to issue refunds. I think ebay is trying to protect themselves from a huge payout to at least 54 people.

6. With the new eBay managed payment system, I don't think it matters now what you use to pay, you have to go through eBay in order to get your money back.

7. moomoomoomoo

That will be true. This was an ebay->PayPal transaction. Ebay is transitioning. Both as a buyer & seller I dread the upcoming changes. Sad, but I trust Pay Pal much more than ebay.

riverrat and SJP like this.
  8. kwadguy

Correct. But not everyone is on managed payments yet.

9. I thought every seller was on managed payments now.?. Anyway, if you pay via PayPal, a seller should have that go into their PayPal account. I have no idea why ebay should handle a payment from PayPal when 99% of sellers have PayPal .

10. moomoomoomoo

No, managed payments is not universal yet. And as far as I can tell, all ebay buyers can still complete all transactions through Pay Pal.

The answer to your last sentence is Ebay's policies. At one point (until recently) ebay owned Pay Pal. At one point Pay Pal stated that they had no control over ebay transactions made through them. I'm sure they still have legal agreements.......... I don't know the entire story of why they are splitting up, but I suspect it's legal reasons. Pay Pal is almost as large as Visa & Mastercard; & probably larger than American Express.

11. That's news to me about managed payments. I thought all sellers had to opt in by September. I did knOw a buyer could still use PayPal, I'm sure most buyers still do.

12. moomoomoomoo

I'm still a seller (though much smaller than I used to be). They are forcibly opting sellers in to it in waves. So far, they have not hit me. I am not looking forward to it, but will try it it & see what happens.

TheVillageRecorder likes this.
  13. kwadguy

Unfortunately, no. No matter how you pay, if the seller is on managed payments, the money goes into their attached bank account, NOT into their Paypal account.

This is annoying to a lot of us. I just got moved over to managed payments. I liked having all my eBay money going into a separate account (PayPal), not intermingled with my checking account. But that's not an option with managed payments.

SJP likes this.
  14. I agree. I've sold a few of my antique bitters bottles on ebay over the last few weeks and it has taken 7-9 days for eBay to get the money into my bank account which is ridiculous, especially when these buyers are using PayPal which was instantly in my PayPal account (and within minutes if I decided to transfer it to my bank account).

15. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I'm not looking forward to moving into managed payments either as I liked the separation that the PayPal account offered. This will make managing payments out of PayPal including shipping costs more tricky.

The timing of all this is likely related to eBay's divesture of PayPal some time ago. I'm guessing there was a prescribed period of time during which PayPal would continue to be the preferred payment method for eBay. This time is apparently over.

16. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

This is downright unacceptable.

But as with every other ham-fisted decision eBay makes, what can we do about it. Pretty much nothing.

TheVillageRecorder likes this.
  17. markshan

markshan Forum Resident

I just followed that link. Yes ebay is slow for sure as it lists his feedback as 53.5% (not sure I've ever seen a number that low before) but it also says...

Top-rated seller:
    • One of eBay's most reputable sellers.
    • Consistently delivers outstanding customer service.
    This just shows how worthless their endorsements are.

moomoomoomoo likes this.
  18. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

That Top Rated endorsement recalculates once a month.

19. moomoomoomoo

That's what I was afraid of......... We're now expected to load ebay money for postage. Last time I checked, Amazon had been doing that for a couple years. I may look into Discogs again. My current ebay account has under 200 fb, so I wouldn't be losing much if I left.

20. moomoomoomoo

What amazes me is they haven't closed the account. It's either a hacked account, or a felon.

21. moomoomoomoo

Unreal, he's up to 66 negs this month & the slime at ebay still haven't closed his seller account. And he's still a "top rated seller".

22. moomoomoomoo

Unbelievable. Ebay finally issued the refund, but Pay Pal won't allow me to access the money in any form (the site does acknowledge it has been refunded, but it has not been sent to my bank, they won't let me send it to my bank, & on a purchase they didn't use the refund), & they have no human to s/w on the phone, only a computer. I may be done permanently with both companies.

23. kwadguy

If it's someone who's been on eBay a long time and had a lot of good feedback over a long time, and then suddenly a lot of negatives, it's usually a hacked account.

(The other way that happens is someone sells a bunch of something for almost nothing, just to build up feedback, and then starts selling big money items and ripping people off...But if the account has been open a long time, this is unusual).

24. moomoomoomoo

April 2020 if I remember right. What he did was have 1 or 2 of each item (at $10 to $20) to build up good fb (100 or so) & than sold many more than he had at the same price. He also lied & said he was in the USA. The refund that I am so far unable to collect has Chinese characters in the name. On ebay it was all English letters..

25. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Getting in touch with PayPal by phone has always been easy for me. Why would there be no possibility for you to speak to someone?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.