Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2021 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackstraw78, Oct 23, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

For me continuing to subscribe is an easy decision. It’s a good deal, money well spent and it’s fun to have a new Pick show up every few months. I also enjoy participating in the related discussions here although you certainly don’t have to subscribe to do that.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  2. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

I'm one of those 22,000 as I've subscribed since the 2nd year of Dave's Picks. But I'd have purchased all these via CD (or better) quality downloads if that had been an option, including bonus disk. I'm running out of room! For example, I buy all the GarciaLive releases via download.

edit: I have about 8,000 physical CDs (stored in jewelsleeves and special cabinets, except for box sets, e.g., Europe 72 complete), but all are ripped to FLAC and I stream the FLAC files on my home music server system. After reading the CD booklet, etc. they are all stored away, only to be likely given away after my death (which I hope is not too soon).

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  3. Jimbobwe

Jimbobwe Forum Resident

Howard, I tend to nod to the things you say (must be that I'm a fellow cheesehead). The well played nights in '78 are amazing. That 5/14/78 - 30 trips show may be my favorite of the year. Really hope they continue this series on CD, need the nostalgia.

4. garymc

garymc Forum Resident

For me the nostalgia is vinyl, reel-to-reel, and 8-tracks. CDs are still that "new" technology. :agree:

5. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

I'm gonna try that logic with my wife.

PS: Re-upped for my second year. There are a lot of earlier Picks that I regret missing, and a few that I've gone back and bought at inflated prices, so bring it on.

6. Jimbobwe

Jimbobwe Forum Resident

Trying to remember when the 2nd Dave's release of the year is usually announced. Last year the Miami show was revealed right before the 2020 subscriptions were shut off, correct? So maybe get #38 announcement in a month? Any insight would be appreciated.

7. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

It may depend on how the subscriptions are selling. Not enough sales = break the news on #38 to get a few more folks in the door.

ianuaditis, Matthew Tate, ARK and 4 others like this.
  8. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

A ribeye would weaken your analogy.

9. Ziggy Stardog

Ziggy Stardog Forum Resident

I'm a long-time listener, but first-time subscriber. There is a significant shortage of shows from 1978 in my collection, so I'm pretty happy with the first installment. And I can't wait to find out what the bonus disc will be after hearing Dave's chat.

ianuaditis, JeffreyB, adamos and 6 others like this.
  10. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

That’s how I justified my copy of the Boise pick

11. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I went ahead and preordered both DP21 and Singles21 in the morning earlier today - in the same order. Shipping charged only once: $15.99! Very nice.

ianuaditis and Grateful Griller like this.
  12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Same here. My thing is that I’m not that hot on ‘78. Perhaps the shows earlier in the year, not so much after May.

This will be my 5th year as a subscriber, the only one I didn’t like was the Boise pick. The New Mexico pick annoyed me with the bonus disk situation (songs all out of order, etc) but overall I’m very happy.

US Blues likes this.
  13. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Well damn, my Dave’s Picks 36 has shipped. I should definitely have it by Christmas!

trd, dtuck90, Matthew Tate and 2 others like this.
  14. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

Does anyone know, by the way,-- that 4/15/78 show that they picked- does it actually fit on two cds? (and if so, would have been neat if they did another 4 cd thing like the latest one and gave us two shows.)

I wonder if they will announce the second volume (with its bonus disc) before the 'window' closes on the early-bird subscription price- i'm a lot more likely to sign up again if, say, the second show is some heretofore unknown 1970 monster!

Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  15. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

The past several years they have announced the second DaP (including bonus disc) of the annual subscription series a few days before they stop accepting sign ups for subscribers. So I’d be surprised if they don’t follow that model again.

Ps. Yes of course I’ve reupped my subscription. It’s not even a decision, just a reflex. I will say, I’ve known 4/15/78 since sometime later in 1978, but somehow I never actually consciously realized how short the show is. But what’s there is just fine...

ianuaditis, Matthew Tate and US Blues like this.
  16. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Isn't that in July?
    [​IMG]

US Blues, notesofachord, ARK and 2 others like this.
  17. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

[​IMG]

trd, garymc, US Blues and 1 other person like this.
  18. frightwigwam

frightwigwam Talented Amateur

Do the people Down Under listen to the same Christmas songs about sleigh rides and snowy weather that we have in the Northern Hemisphere, or do you have your own traditional classics about Santa at the beach and sweltering at the Christmas BBQ or whatnot?

19. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Ha ha! No, we hear the same old crap you guys do. It doesn’t quite have the same feel when you’re wandering around the shops in 30°C+ weather in shorts and thongs (footwear, by the way).

Six Bachelors, trd, budwhite and 4 others like this.
  20. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Just ordered. 5th year.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Pricey is an understatement, and when you add taxes, comes out to almost $30 per LP. That’s why it’s the only thing I picked up today. Cornell was about $20 less if I remember correctly, but it wasn’t a RSD release.

Butch1970, ODShowtime and warewolf95 like this.
  22. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Only ever got to hear my Dave's 5 twice before someone walked off with it. Just can't bring myself to shell out knowing I had it for cost. But I miss it. The big sandwich is high art, and Walton's liner notes are an extra treat.

Your steak dinner comparison may inspire me someday. Or my patented car repair or speeding ticket ones....

WaterLemon and jmadad like this.
  23. Ray29

Ray29 Forum Resident

I remember a friend of mine 9 years back mentioned this new subscription series. We both ordered. A few years later he got married and was short on cash. I asked if he still subscribes to the Daves series, he said no. I asked if he still had the 1st 4 as they are worth a lot of money. He says he does & could use the money to rent a new apartment. I told him he could get a thousand bucks. He thought I was insane. I put all 4 volumes of his used CD’s on EBay and netted him a thousand bucks. I almost felt like a criminal. After that he weighed parting with his Fillmore set. I urged him to keep it, which he did......anyway I would never let go of my Dave’s picks and am definitely in for year 10. It’s a great deal and brings me plenty of joy. Revisiting volume 34 now. This Seastones segment gives me an opportunity to fiddle with my phone. Sometimes you have to jump on these releases or you may regret it. I only wish I would have been smart enough to order the Europe 72 set back in the day.

JeffreyB, budwhite, SJR and 3 others like this.
  24. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

Interesting they're doing 5 singles this year. Bought them all so far so I'm sure I'll subscribe again this year. Haven't played one yet...just like the artwork and I've become somewhat a completest.

JeffreyB and RiRiIII like this.
  25. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Thx Bro for trying to help me out. I'm still confused but it's been a long day, so brain only operating at marginal capacity /Pours a single malt & lights a Columbian Gold Spliff for relief. Had to say goodbye today to my daughter whose moving from San Francisco to Denver. Her car was with me, so brought it back to her to take. Drive to San Francisco from the foothills early was easy. Dive back was a mind-melt with a chemical fire in Richmond that led to their evacuation causing me to detour and took me an hour to figure out where the fk I was. The fact I absolutely love that State of CO and that it's an easy flight for me out of Sacramento, when it's a bit safer to do that, eases the sting. But I digress.... I'm still confused. Oh yea, we knew that :whistle:

Cheers,

Zafu

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.