Record stores in Las Vegas

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by Szeppelin75, Mar 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Going to Vegas tomorrow for a few days. Any good record stores to visit while im there?

2. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

No.

However, I would hit up Ceasar's Palace and the Bellagio!

3. psychobear85

psychobear85 Active Member

4. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I went to Moondog Records today during a short 2 day stay in Vegas. I basically had 1 hour and one store to choose so this was it. They have a pretty solid selection of used lps, very well organized by genres (rock, punk, metal, country, soundtracks, ect) and a wall full of rarer, pricier lps, some autographed. Also a bin with mfsb, half spped, rare “collectable” records by mostly classic rock bands like Stones, Who, ect. Prices are reasonable for usual, easy to find LPs but they get silly prices for the better stuff. I asked about a VG+ unboxxed 3k stamped Stones Beggars Banquet and was told $300. So there you go.

5. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

Just hit up 6 stores in Vegas yesterday - all but one previously mentioned. Here’s the quick take from a CD ONLY perspective:

I had the most success at the two Zia’s locations. Huge selection, fair prices, $1 bins and they have a buffing machine on site.

I also had good success at the 2 Record City locations, with the Sahara location being better organized.

next up was Moondog’s. Really nice inventory and well organized, but nothing is priced and you have to bring your CDs to the counter where they look them up on eBay and Discogs and price accordingly. Example, Doors Morrison Hotel target cd for $20. Pass. I’m finding targets in the bins for $5-6 almost every week in TX.

lastly, Vegas Vinyl. Nice smallish store packed with stuff and a really nice older guy running the shop. Most CDs were $4, but the inventory was mostly all common stuff. If you’re into Vinyl though, I would definitely check this store out.

stoopid likes this.
  6. stoopid

stoopid Well-Known Member

Thanks Daddy, it's been a while since I went to a record store and recently started collecting CDs again. Looks like I have something to do on the rare rainy day.

Daddy-O4 likes this.
  7. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Back in the day I'd come into Vegas a day earlier to hit the Record City stores, J-Mar's, Big B's, etc.. Now I just spend my money on better food. You can read J-Mar's and Big B's downfalls if you google hard enough. Great reading. Lots of lessons if you start a store. Wax Trax is a Yelp Review must.

LordThanos1969, stoopid and Daddy-O4 like this.
  8. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

I tried to go to Wax Trax, but curiously they are closed on Thursday's.....:shrug:

9. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

You'd have a fun time at Wax Trax....the owner is a riot.

LordThanos1969 and Daddy-O4 like this.
  10. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

Unfortunately, Thursday was my only option. Next time!

11. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Read the Yelp Reviews. Walk slowly backwards when he looks up what you want.

12. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Wax Trax is an amazing store, a museum of CDs and vinyl. I didn't buy a single thing when I went there, but I would say it is a must stop for the experience.

13. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

"The experience". Yes indeed.

14. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

I wish Wax Trax wasn't closed on Thursdays. That was my only shopping day before heading back to TX. :(

15. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Wax Trax looks like house. I think Rosen lives upstairs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.