Quibi blows 2 Billion...finally shutting down

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PhilBorder, Oct 21, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stereosound

Stereosound Forum Resident

:shh::laugh:

2. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Devon Banks was there first.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I was thinking of trying Quibi but then found out it does not stream to a tv so essentially useless for me. I guess for everyone else too.

4. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Interesting. It's not intended, but you can rip a YouTube video, either as an mp3 or mp4 video. Could it be, all they wanted was a format you couldn't do anything with, just use it with your most ubiquitous personal item, your phone...and then, once it got to critical mass, you realized it was too late to find out, you couldn't keep the programming?

(Like Sony was all hyped-up on SACD, only because they thought it couldn't be ripped...then, once they realized they gave customers the ability to figure it out on their own, with their own gaming system...they dropped interest in it)

Just pointing out the coincidence here.

Mirrorblade.1 likes this.
  5. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

Distracted driving averted! Lives saved! Life in balance.

Guess shelter in place doesn't equate to a captive audience hungry for entertainment on their cellphones, either. The excuses for failure are as bone headed as the business model.
    Too bad it took nearly a billion dollars to learn that the hard way.

I could never understand why anyone would pay to watch a movie or other content on a small screen whether vertical or horizontal. I still can't type with my thumbs and I refuse to learn.

My cellphone sits under a pile of junk mail where it belongs.

6. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I worked for a Wall Street firm that hired a CEO that was canned from a major global bank after getting them kicked out of Japan for regulatory violations. He got a multi million dollar payout to leave. He then proceeded to get fired from my company with yet another multi million dollar payout. It's shocking the number of corporate leaders that got rich from failing.

MikaelaArsenault and Chris DeVoe like this.
  7. Stereosound

As well as the idiots in charge that keep hiring them!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. Tim Lookingbill

Too bad there isn't a rigorous prenup for corporate A-holes who are paid to fail. Kinda' hard to see the difference between what they get away with as some kind of cult of the like minded verses a street gang or drug cartel. Only in those social circles one can lose their life for failing. Wonder what the incentives are for assured success on Wall Street if they're willing to lose that much money to get rid of a bad employee.

I mean with that amount of loss I can't see how they stay afloat. It's almost unnatural, even criminal.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

This might be the best combination of "absolutely 100% agreed" and "dang this geezer is old" I've ever read.

10. Tim Lookingbill

With age comes wisdom and better whine.

And I didn't misspell wine.

Gumboo and BeatleJWOL like this.
  11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

12. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

I remember one of the professors I had a class with joking that the easiest way to make a lot of money is to become a CEO, fail on purpose and take the payout, repeat as much as necessary. :)

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  13. I've never really understood why the hiring organizations agree to these sort of payouts in the event of even catastrophic nonperformance or incompetence. I assume there must be some sort of theoretical quid pro quo at work - ie, no one wants to eliminate a practice they themselves might profit from down the road. .

listner_matt and eddiel like this.
  14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member Thread Starter

Board members also benefit from strategic incompetence. I could tell you stories that would feed an entire year of Dilbert comics. Remember that all that regulatory complexity includes some interesting escape clauses and loopholes.

15. Do you have a good one you could share?

16. Gems-A-Bems

Gems-A-Bems Forum Resident

I don’t know about other phones, but iPhones stream to televisions with appletv fairly easily

17. Tim Lookingbill

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  18. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

I work in tech, and I only hope that the Quibi story is taught in business schools as an example of what not to do in the entertainment/tech business. However, I work in tech, and I'm certain that folks will invent new ways to screw up and act like Quibi never ever happened.

Just to regurgitate what's been said upthread, the main 'wtf's for me include:
    -Their mobile-only approach - Sorry kids, the successful apps have a desktop and a TV streaming component as well as mobile. Some companies already make it fairly seamless to jump from one delivery system to another. It's not rocket science to match what your competitors are doing at this point in time.
    -Deciding that they were a studio, an app, and platform all at once - Starting one of those is tough (especially with all the peak TV competitors out there now), starting all three at once is insanely ballsy of them. Jeez.
    -Forgetting to include a free tier until they were already at risk - Remember how the good drug dealers used to give a taste for free? Those guys had better business sense, apparently.
    -And forgetting that their key demographic already gets dumb shows without paying a monthly bill. How does rebooting shows from 10+ years ago fit that demographic?

And that's the short list...

Last edited: Dec 13, 2020
  19. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Iphone and Roku only recently allowed Apple Airplay so one can stream from the phone to a smart tv. I use this function to watch HBO Max.
    Yes if it was available when Quibi was viable, I could have streamed to my tv.

listner_matt likes this.
  20. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Sorry but, when did that ever happen? Sounds like you had a better class of drug dealers in your neighborhood than I did in mine. Every one I've ever known wanted the money. No free samples. Some of the purest and most unrepentant capitalists you'll ever meet.

listner_matt and Tim Lookingbill like this.
  21. listner_matt

listner_matt Still thinks music is an inexhaustible resource

I dunno, maybe once or twice. Then again there may have been some short term memory loss that year.....

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I'm pretty sure the "first one's free" thing only happened on ABC After-school Specials.

listner_matt likes this.
  23. Stereosound

24. Stereosound

25. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

Is that the one across the street from Glen Glenn?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.