Poll: still buying cds?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Noel Patterson, Jul 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

I've gotten about 15 in this past week alone - including a pre-owned copy of the
    Steve Hoffman Santana `Lotus' set (how could I resist that?!).

Swann36 likes this.
  2. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

I still love my cd's but realized that I can't find affordable cd storage racks anymore!

audiodefiled and Eric_Generic like this.
  3. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

No Ikea ‘Gnedby’?.

4. KFC_NY

KFC_NY Forum Resident

Never stopped. I also kept most off my vinyl albums and didn't sell them all in a yard sale when CD's came out! Still play both CD's and vinyl and am listening thru a PC hooked up to a receiver and good speakers right now.

danielbravo and audiodefiled like this.
  5. Mr.Sign

Mr.Sign Forum Resident

If You use a proper CD1-PLayer it sounds not worse than any other media , often better.

6. Drumaniac - R

Drumaniac - R Forum Resident

I buy both vinyl and CDs

7. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

For sure. Preferably--new vinyl being so absurdly priced.

Mr.Sign and Eric242 like this.
  8. Zappix

Zappix Well-Known Member

I have Tidal and love it but everything isnt always available and I dont know how long things I love on Tidal will be there

9. Gary the Aggie

Gary the Aggie Forum Resident

I answered “yes”, but my purchases have declined a lot this past year. I’m buying more vinyl, for one, but the biggest reason is I started subscribing to amazon ultra HD last year. I “try before I buy” now, and if an album doesn’t grab me I don’t buy it.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

For the most part I do not buy CDs. The last actual purchase I made involving CDs was the Be Bop Deluxe box of Axe Victim which includes CDs but which I bought for the 5.1 DVD. The last new single CD I purchased was the reissue of Mountain's The Road Goes Ever On on Iconoclassic a few years back. The last one before that was when I bought a couple of used New Age CDs from an ebay seller for a couple of bucks apiece, that was about 2016 I think. Basically I buy rock and pop on LP and I've bought some digital titles on Quobuz. I plan to seek out some more classical and New Age CDs from the 90's in the future but I don't plan to buy any new albums or remasters on CD.

11. visolo

visolo Well-Known Member

There's a few stores in SoCal called Book Off. They sell used books, DVDs, games, electronics, but tons of used CDs. That's where I go to buy mine. Prices range from $1-$3 for the CDs that I'm looking for, depending on condition and artist. They also have a vinyl section for the hipsters.

vinylfilmaholic and Oatsdad like this.
  12. rjp

rjp Senior Member

they are still making them, every week, every new release comes out on CD (unless it is a download only) and not every new release comes out on vinyl.

of course the record companies want everyone to buy new vinyl, they make twice to three times as much money on it. the whole vinyl resurgence was of the record companies making and no one will ever convince me otherwise

13. bob_32_116

bob_32_116 Forum Flaneur

...and their strategy is working, as anyone can tell by browsing this forum ... while many of those punters simultaneously rail against the evil money-grabbing music industry giants.

Giobacco likes this.
  14. rjp

rjp Senior Member

absolutely working.

they tried a dozen or so different things to try to get the old guys to re-buy their collections again after CD's exploded in the 89's.

they figured that if they could get all those old guys to re-buy all their albums on CD once they could do it again, and they tried and they tried and we just didn't bite. then one of their genius execs said "hey, let's make vinyl cool again, we'll start all kinds of stories about how 'warrm' vinyl sounds and how sterile CD's sounds and all those guys will dust off their turntables and re-buy all the albums they traded in for CD's, but at 3 to 4 times what they paid for them the first time.

and it worked! to a degree, at least it worked better than HDCD, SACD, dual-disc, DVD-A, blu-ray, mini disc, and a host of other things that we didn't bite on.

now, you can pay $12 for the new pristine sounding springsteen CD or $32 for the warm sounding brand new ticky poppy hissy vinyl, that you have to wash before you play it and after you play it and every time you play it again.

15. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Not every release comes out on CD anymore, and I don't mean just obscure titles or reissues. This happened to me just a few months back.....but of course the same can be said for vinyl. While the CD / vinyl format battle goes on, streaming is just steamrolling over both formats.

I think you've got it backwards. The community created the resurgence, not the music companies. Vinyl was SACD-level niche format for well over a decade and the majors took a while to notice before they really jumped back in. Today, nine out of ten albums I'm looking to buy are on vinyl, and a few are even on cassette now [that format I still cannot deal with, sorry. There's not even Dolby on them like the old days].

Except that many of us aren't buying our albums over and over, we're buying new releases, from newer artists, that aren't $35+.

But to get back to this thread topic...just enjoy the CD buyer's market. I know I am right now - for every one used LP I'm buying today, I buy 10 used CD's. Hard to pass these up and in my case I'm transforming my old streaming / lossy album playlists with CD rips now.

Great time to be a CD buyer, but that doesn't mean I have to buy only CD's. Everything has their place.

16. condorsat

condorsat Audio Pragmatist

IMHO .. I think the SACD was an attempt to get people to rebuy their record collections. Current Vinyl sales are just the industry responding to the current market trends. No reason to leave money on the table .. from a business perspective.

danielbravo likes this.
  17. Gary the Aggie

Gary the Aggie Forum Resident

I’m ok being a sucker, as long as the artists are getting their royalties, too.

18. arcamsono

arcamsono Senior Member

Yes

19. alan967tiger

alan967tiger Forum Resident

I recently moved over to just CDs, 50 bought in the last week, and more to come.

Detroit Rock Citizen likes this.
  20. Hawkeye20

Hawkeye20 Well-Known Member

Cd's still offer the best sound quality
    And you can eat your dinner off them apparently

21. Zappix

Zappix Well-Known Member

This sounds good but its just not the reality of the situation. I worked in high end audio when CDs were introduced and anything "digital" was all the rage. Customers would come in and listen to a CD version of Miles Davis' Kind of Blue, love it and then cry when they A-B'd it to the vinyl version. Perfect sound forever just never was all that perfect. Anyone with ears and a way to compare would easily hear this. But CDs had their positives and that was what was being pushed, not digital.

22. vinylfilmaholic

vinylfilmaholic Forum Resident

I'm almost completely buying CDs at this point. In terms of LPs, I buy audiophile pressings from the known labels or favorites from my teen years "remastered for the format", but otherwise I'll take a $1-$5 CD copy on Discogs over anything else. Helps that I just ordered an Audiolab 6000CDT that will be arriving tomorrow. Secretly hoping that will get me to give up the old vinyl ghost. We'll see.

23. audiodefiled

audiodefiled Forum Resident

Yes, I love cds. Jewel cases with booklets. They're smaller than album inners but quite often contain more information. I'm also fooling around with records currently for nostalgic reasons, but a well mastered cd is superior to my ears. Given the limits in human hearing range I feel the cd is a perfect medium and being in my 50's now, for a cd to last " forever " it only has to last about 30 years. I've already got cds that old and they show no sign of failing. I've had a hard drive fail that had a ton of music on it. All gone in an instant. Digital is great but it has it's risks. Plus they are practically giving used cds away right now.

24. jcr64

jcr64 Forum Resident

I just bought the new Springsteen on CD today. I probably average about one cd per month. Storage and accessibility are a pain, though.

Eric_Generic likes this.
  25. DME1061

DME1061 Forum Resident

I've been buying (for the last couple of months) and average of 8-12 used CDs per week. An incredible run I've had lately. Storage is becoming an issue......but a nice problem to have considering what I've been bringing in recently (both new and used).

vinylfilmaholic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.