Fargo - Season 4 starring Chris Rock

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by modrevolve, Aug 3, 2018.

1. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

There’s not a show I watch anymore without captions. :shake:

2. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

It appears to me that a lot of shows are going for a bit more realism with characters' inflections, accents, and delivery -- the actors are sacrificing old-style stage clarity for realistic character portrayal. If so, that's cool, I guess.

At least, I sure hope that's the case, and my ears aren't really turning into granite.

trumpet sounds and EddieMann like this.
  3. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

For a music fan, using the song Moanin’ at the beginning of the episode that aired on October 18 is a real mistake. The series takes place in 1950 but the song wasn’t written until circa 1958.

Nephrodoc likes this.
  4. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Seems to be a trend in mixing the dialogue low.
    Fargo, Perry Mason, The Boys et al.

5. rjp

rjp Senior Member

we have committed to 'fargo' to the end, but both of us feel it is not a very show. the first 3 were all much better.

how in the world do you get shot in the back of the head point blank and stay alive, so alive that you are sitting up in chair the same day?

6. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Because the bullet grazed the side of his head, you could see the wound

GentleSenator and BEAThoven like this.
  7. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and the two of them thought he was dead.

if, and of course it is a big if, if they wanted him dead, why didn't they kill the fat fool when they found he wasn't?

his role is borderline comedic, and i'm not sure if it meant to be or not.

8. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Have to agree with you there. The wife never saw season 3 so we are watching it now while we watch season 4. Watching them both at the same time really brings to light how weak this season has been. Season 3's writing, direction, cinematography and acting are all so much better.

sound chaser and Shawn like this.
  9. George P

George P Notable Member

If I were to rank the 4 seasons of Fargo, it would look like this:

1. Season 02 (definitely my favorite)
    2. Season 04 (so far, though it's pretty much a tie with S01 at this point)
    3. Season 01
    4. Season 03

mmars982 likes this.
  10. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

they've never limited the show to music exclusively from the time periods depicted.

marmalade166, trumpet sounds and Myke like this.
  11. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Yes, last night's (11/1) episode continued at a snail's pace, but I'm still in. The acting and storyline are supporting it, but you do feel like it's an hour of commercials with some of "Fargo" wedged in between the product adverts.

Chris from Chicago and EddieMann like this.
  12. EddieMann

Yes! I like the 1 hour 20 minute episodes way better.

13. EddieMann

I watched the Coen brother's Miller's Crossing over the weekend and saw several character similarities...
    Tom Reagan...Rabbi Milligan
    Johnny Caspar...Gaetano Fadda
    Eddie Dane...Constant Calamita
    Any others?

Geithals and BEAThoven like this.
  14. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

One question about the recent episode: Why Loy's concern for Zelmare and Swanee? Sure, they helped him snag Gaetano, but... they did steal from his operation and kill three of his crew members. He seems almost fatherly giving them the Philly train tickets.

That said, I think Zelmare and Swanee are getting set up for a visual demise next week. Their "use" as characters is now complete, so the writers can use them for a dramatic ending.

15. EddieMann

The highlights for next week’s episode hint at a big gunfight at the train station.

BEAThoven likes this.
  16. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

Interesting.

I see those two going down in a blaze.

In addition, the tension heats up between Josto and Gaetano... Josto will be floored when his brother walks through door and finds out Loy just cut him loose.

EddieMann likes this.
  17. Nephrodoc

Nephrodoc Forum Resident

The wife and I are on episode 5 and we really like this season. It started off pretty slow and we almost bailed. Sure glad we stuck with it.
    The only thing we don’t care for is Chris Rocks ‘s performance. I’m a fan of his, but he does not have the range for this type of role.

18. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

That's what I'm thinking...maybe Rabbi runs off with Satchel and renames him Mike Milligan

trumpet sounds likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

No, this is non-diagetic music, so they can use anything they want. The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel does the same thing -- they often use 1980s music for the end credits, even though it's a show about roughly 1960-1961. If it's a song the characters hear on the radio or a turntable (which does happen in Fargo), that's source music that's actually part of the story and the period. It's a creative choice, like everything else.

Fargo season 4 still has four more episodes to go (every week through the end of November), so they have hours to go before the finale. What puzzles me is how they're going to work the crazy nurse back into the story.

GentleSenator likes this.
  20. Bradd

Bradd Now’s The Time

No idea what non diagetic music but there is a band performing Moanin’ in the beginning of the episode so that is a mistake.

In the most recent episode there’s the use of a Lambert, Hendrix & Ross tune written in the early 50s, which the crazy nurse appears to be humming.

All in all, not big things but errors.

21. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

And season 3 was weak compared to 1 and 2.

22. Geithals

Geithals Forum Resident

Good character comparisons, though the Irish mob didn't last that long in Kansas.

EddieMann likes this.
  23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i guess reading his explanation of it was too hard for you?

Chris from Chicago likes this.
  24. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

This latest ep (11/8) really kept me involved with all its twist and turns.

What was interesting for me -- the very conscious decision to ensure that that the myth of heroism that most stories and depictions of criminals construct was destroyed. Deafy's monologue on this was great -- criminals think there is some sort of code, but that foundation was eroded as soon as the game started. Then the scenes that follow are Loy selling out Zelmare and Swanee quite quickly and Zelmare and Swanee's blatant disregard for innocent individuals at a moment of reckoning.

Veltri and EddieMann like this.
  25. EddieMann

I heard a bit of dialogue last night from Chris Rock that I'm sure I heard in a previous season of Fargo. He tells Deafy, "I like you." Deafy says, "We Mormans are pretty friendly people" Loy says, "No, pretty unfriendly really, Its the way you're unfriendly. Like you're doing me a favor". I rewatched season two last week and I swear Mike Milligan said the same exact thing.