Denon/Airplay assistance pretty please

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by head_unit, Oct 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. head_unit

head_unit Senior Member Thread Starter

So I swapped a Denon AVR-2312Ci from one system to a different one. I want to run AirPlay but can't quite figure it out.
    - I plugged it in via Ethernet and I *guess* it is connected to the network:
    "Network Connecting": DHCP ON Obtain IP address automatically, there is a MAC address shown.
    - Page 73 of the manual says "Launch iTunes and click the AirPlay icon" but I don't see that. Basically I think all these instructions are out of date.
    - On my iPhone I don't see where to connect AirPlay-I thought it was the menu that swipes up from the home screen but I don't see anything. On my MacBook Air, I don't see an icon on the top menu to select where the audio output goes-just the volume slider, with no choices. Nor any AirPlay icon
    - AirPort utility says no other WiFi devices discovered, for what that's worth.

???

2. head_unit

Eh, no Denon owners using AirPlay?

3. torquerulesok

torquerulesok Forum Resident

I’ve got a Denon AVR-3313, ca. 2010 vintage. I switch to the Denon’s Network input and then start streaming iTunes on my iPhone (2020 iPhone SE). In iTunes there is an option/icon to send the stream to the Denon. Just make sure both devices are on the same WiFi network.

head_unit likes this.
  4. head_unit

Hey I have the same phone. And it is ZERO improvement over the iPhone 7 I had, how about you?
    - Where do you select the AirPlay on your phone? (If you can post a screen shot you're my hero!). Or do I not see that because there are no AirPlay devices live? (Except, the Denon *should* be live)

5. mrdon

mrdon Senior Member

You are using an iPhone SE, so in order to access Control Center, you swipe up from the bottom edge of any screen. You should then see a section labeled Music and selecting that should open up access to airplay devices on your network. Alternatively, when using Apple Music, on the song screen, you should find an airplay symbol.

6. mrdon

mrdon Senior Member

I suspect your Denon is not on the network. I don’t know your network layout but try a different CAT cable and make sure you hard reboot the Denon. To determine if your iPhone and Denon are on the same network, Download the Fing app and run a scan. Lastly, once you determine the Denon is on the network, make sure you run a software update on the Denon. Hope this
    helps.

7. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I agree first you should make sure its been updated. On my iPhone XR I swipe down from top right corner to see menu. There’s a ‘Music’ icon with a little Airplay logo, tap the logo which brings up a list of available wifi connected devices. If the Denon is not there then it’s not connected to your network.

8. head_unit

Surely you are correct...but I have so much fear of bricking this kind of thing and not being able to recover it...read horror stories...or is that rare?

9. mrdon

mrdon Senior Member

In my experience, these days that is a very rare occurrence.

10. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Updates will keep the receiver functioning properly, same as computers and cell phones. An update can sometimes magically fix a problem. Airplay itself requires updates. Just follow the manual instructions, nothing to worry about..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.