A Schiit Audio System

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jon1969, Jan 6, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adamos

adamos Forum Resident

I upgraded the DAC in my home office headphone setup from a Modi 3 to a Bifrost 2 a few months ago and I’m really happy with it. I liked the Modi 3 too but the Bifrost 2 brings a lot more to the table.

ssmith3046 likes this.
  2. archerious

archerious New Member

Same here, it's very odd. Recorded a video of the humming, the worst part is my Vidar didn't do this at first. I thought it was my DAC, then my interconnects, finally went 3.5mm to RCA and the Vidar still hummed. Put my Magnepan's to my friend's Hypex amp and no hiss. I'm not sure what to do.

3. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

That sounds more like a tea kettle whistle, rather than hum. Does your Vidar hum/hiss when there's noting connected to it? If not. Its not your Vidar.

Regards

4. DavidR

DavidR Forum Resident

I would get that back to the manufacture asap.

Schiit QC is Schiit, a few years ago I had DAC and amp delivered and both were dead on arrival. I now avoid the brand like the plaque.

Rolltide likes this.
  5. DrZhivago

DrZhivago Hedonist

How would you know if they were any good if they were DOA? :D

Edit: In all seriousness. What you suggesting seems like a rash, emotionally driven decision. It may not even be the amp.

6. DiggyGun

DiggyGun One Box Is The Future

And, you’re “casually knocking” @ProfessorC1983, just because he has a different experience and opinion to you.

We all have different opinions, which we may agree with, or not. Doesn’t mean that they are incorrect, just different.

7. rednedtugent

rednedtugent Forum Resident

You are late to the fight. :wantsome::faint:

unclefred and DiggyGun like this.
  8. Dougthesnail

Dougthesnail The Big Gabagool

Perhaps someone can help me out. I'd like to run a Freya/Vidar but is this possible with balanced inputs or is that only possible with Monoblock configuartion?

9. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Vidar's XLR input is only for mono mode. To run Vidar in stereo mode, you must use the RCA connections.

Freya has two pairs of XLR inputs for balanced source components, and 3 pairs of RCA inputs for single ended sources. Freya has a pair of XLR outputs, and two pairs of RCA outputs.

10. Dougthesnail

Okay. Thanks for the info! Both the Vidar and say a Phono preamp can be connected properly?

11. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Yes, that should be no problem.

In my system, I run the solid state Freya S with a single Vidar. I have two phono units and one DAC for sources, all single ended RCA. I have no balanced sources (yet!).

BTW, I feed my powered sub from Vidar's speakers outputs. You can do this when Vidar is used in stereo mode, but not in mono mode.

12. Dougthesnail

Great to know! Much appreciated. That's exactly what I'm trying to do except with the Freya + instead of Freya S

33na3rd likes this.
  13. Dougthesnail

I forgot to mention I currently run two subs in my system. Could I use a splitter from the Vidar's L&R to connect it to both subs and the Freya+?

14. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

If you're using speaker level inputs for your subs, you can hook them both up to Vidar's binding posts using stacking banana plugs. If you're using line level inputs for your subs, just use one of the three available pairs of outputs on Freya.

bajaed likes this.
  15. Dougthesnail

Ended up getting a Freya + and Aegir. Newbie question as they're my first separates. To get my Turntable and speakers on the same channel what inputs do I connect them too?

BilboAlaska likes this.
  16. Rivcuban

Rivcuban Forum Resident

I bought a Schiit
    I bought a Schiit preamp and I hated it. It had a hum that I couldn't get rid of. It was grounded and I used top quality cables. I did eveything Schiit suggested and it never went away. I sent it back and bought a NAD preamp. What a difference! Completely quiet. Music sounds much better on the NAD than the Schiit.

17. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your question, but (assuming you have RCA inputs) on the Freya plug your turntable/phono amp RCAs into either any of the RCA inputs (3, 4 or 5 slots) on the back of the Freya; run RCAs out from your Freya into the RCA inputs on the Aegir; Select that corresponding input source on the Freya to play the phono signal.

Dougthesnail likes this.
  18. Dougthesnail

That's exactly what I meant. Thank you :)

19. DJSpinner

DJSpinner Forum Resident

I see from your profile you moved from a Rouge Sphinx to this. I was actually considering the Sphinx before pulling the trigger on the Schiit separates (for the flexibility of individual upgrades down the line). Curious to hear your impression of the Freya/Aegir combo vs. the Sphinx?

StimpyWan likes this.
  20. Dougthesnail

I'll let you know once I do some more in depth comparison :righton:

21. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

I need a little guidance for this.

I have a configuration question.
    I have a phono-pre connected to my Loki
    My Loki is connected to my Saga output 2 (This is the main question).
    My Valhalla 2 (HEADPHONE AMP) is connected to the Saga input.( Should this be the output 2 )?
    My question is the following:
    Should the Loki be connected to the Saga OUT?
    My source (Phono) needs the Loki, so I have this before the Saga. Now I want to use the Valhalla 2 as a headphone amp and utilize the Loki to adjust for equalization.
    However I also want the Loki for Saga direct to amp and speakers. Again for use of the equalization.
    To clarify :
    Phono -pre >. Loki (in) > Saga (out) .
    Valhalla 2 (out) > Saga ( in 2).
    Saga > (out) to Amplifier (in).
    Should the Loki be connected to the Saga in? Should the Valhalla 2 be connected to the Saga Out 2?
    Confusing yes?
    Please help a Schiit head.

22. Hooch

Hooch Forum Resident

Loki is an equalizer that receives input from your phonopre so that Loki can send Output to and INPUt on your Saga.

Headphone amp Valhalla has to amplify something so it needs OUTPUt from Saga.

You got things backwards.

23. Steve Baker

Steve Baker Forum Resident

Thanks! I was really tired when I set it up, so your help is greatly appreciated.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.