No Time to Die (2021 James Bond film). May include spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by shokhead, Nov 27, 2017.

1. realkilroy

realkilroy Forum Resident

They should begin making "The Bond Universe" series and put them on demand. I would definitely watch "Blofeld - The Early Years" or "The Private Life of Felix Leiter" or "The Kinky Adventures of Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd". Possibilities are endless.

aussievinyl and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  2. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I seriously doubt if there will be reshoots.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

I'd like a prequel series about the double-take pigeon.

Linger63 likes this.
  4. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

P***y Galore and her friends...

5. realkilroy

(of whom she had plenty).

MikaelaArsenault and Phil147 like this.
  6. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

7. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Plenty of time to die... no time to air.

I'm thinking November 2021

8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

No Time To Die.
    When was it originally supposed to be out December 2018?

9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Doh, now here's a great rumor...

Apple May Be Seeking to Acquire Bond Film 'No Time to Die' for Apple TV+

[​IMG]

So imagine this: Apple pays upwards of $400M+ for the exclusive 6-months rights to No Time to Die, which immediately pays the studio and Broccoli family (and the profit participants like Daniel Craig) for their time. They've already broken even. Now, Apple puts it up for $20 on pay-per-view and splits the money 50/50 with the studio. Now, the studio gets to make millions and millions of dollars, fans get to see the movie now instead of waiting 8 months until June 2021, and Apple makes money and sells more hardware. The only "lose" part of it is not seeing the film in a big theater.

But it's only a rumor for now. A similar rumors is going on for Netflix, and they also have deep pockets for acquiring a title as big as this.

PH416156, Deuce66 and alexpop like this.
  10. alexpop

Fine with a dvd. Not as if this film is a classic.

alanb likes this.
  11. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

But as soon a these things hit any sort of platform that isn't a movie theatre hard drive, they're immediately pirated and on peer-to-peer streaming networks.

Granted, Mr. And Mrs. John Q. Public aren't going to the trouble of digging big ticket exclusives out of the Interwebs, but a good chunk of the young adult population will. Can they get the necessary payoff?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Frankly I don't know how Apple can recoup $400M and make a profit from the pay per view option..they would need 20 million customers willing to pay $20 just to break even.

And as @Roland Stone said, it only takes little before there's an illegal free option to see the movie in perfect quality. I wrote simething similar in another thread regarding Pixar's Soul. Free for Disney+ subscribers on Xmas day. And illegally :shake: free for everybody else some days later.

13. alexpop

New films?
    Guess blu ray movies could be copied as well.

2022 seems the best available time for cinemas to win back their audience. Big studios to make big profit.. least recoup.

14. alexpop

No Time To Die :
    Is starting to look dated ( apart from the title that is).

15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

It wasn't a rumour Apple made an offer for a 1 year exclusive license = NO deal.

Behind MGM's Apple Overture: How Much Is a Bond Movie Worth? | Hollywood Reporter

The tech giant kicked the tires on 'No Time to Die' and mulled an offer in the $350 million to $400 million range, which was a nonstarter for the studio.

In recent days, Hollywood producers and executives have been taking part in a guessing game: How much is a complete, unreleased, James Bond movie worth? The short answer: Even the worldwide rights are not enough. Multiple sources confirm that MGM did explore a licensing deal for the latest 007 movie, No Time to Die, before the movie was delayed from its Nov. 12 global release date to April 2, 2021. But only one streaming giant, Apple, was interested enough to throw out a number.

While the scuttled deal says a lot about Bond, it may signal more about the present state of MGM. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the studio has been financially stretched thin while forgoing revenue from theatrical grosses and weathering a months-long film and TV production shutdown earlier this year amid the pandemic. MGM’s top shareholder is Anchorage Capital, run by former Goldman Sachs exec Kevin Ulrich, who leads the studio’s board of directors.

Multiple sources say Apple kicked the tires on Daniel Craig starrer No Time to Die and mulled an offer in the $350 million to $400 million range for what would have been a 12-month license. (Bloomberg first reportedApple’s offer.) That was far short of the $650 million to $700 million — one source tells THR that even $800 million was mentioned — that MGM was hoping to get to make such a deal worthwhile.

The valuations on the MGM side are informed by several factors. The movie cost around $250 million to produce, including the tax incentives from some of the shooting locations. There are licensing fees that need to be paid to United Artists, co-run by Megan Ellison’s Annapurna and MGM, and to Universal Pictures, which is currently set to distribute the movie internationally. Then there are generous box office bonus deals for stars Craig, Rami Malek as well as director Cary Fukunaga and others. There is also the $50 million or more spent on marketing the movie, which has been (so far) twice delayed. And MGM was basing their numbers on a presumed global box office of over $1 billion, a figure attained by 2012’s Skyfall but not by 2015’s Spectre, which grossed $880 million.

But to streamers such as Netflix, the numbers were a nonstarter. “Bond is a one-shot kill,” says one top executive, “but is it worth it? You’d be setting up a need for a Bond-like movie once a month and for $500 [million] or more, it’s not worth it. You’re better off focusing on your own originals.” (Netflix has been investing heavily in its original action movies, notably its Michael Bay spy thriller 6 Underground, starring Ryan Reynolds, which cost at least $150 million and was viewed by 83 million member households within a month of its Dec. 10, 2019, release.)

But what was driving this fishing expedition was MGM’s current financial state. Sources say the Beverly Hills-based company is accruing around $1 million in interest a month on the money it borrowed to make No Time to Die, which it won't be able to recoup until the movie opens in theaters.

“MGM is suffering. Every major distributor at this point has a pile of unreleased expensive movies. The pile grows larger by the day,” says Hal Vogel, CEO of Vogel Capital Research. “These films are inventory. They are sitting there with no return on their investment. Even with low interest rates, the interest costs are piling up. So going the streaming route is not that crazy. You’ve spent the money. And you’re not getting it back anytime soon.”

Weeks after No Time to Die was delayed to next year, S&P Global weighed in on MGM on Oct. 22, downgrading the firm’s credit rating from B+ to B based on "sustained high leverage as a result of ongoing delays in its theatrical releases." The ratings agency added that it expects MGM’s cash flow “will remain weak over the next 12 months before both credit measures improve in the second half of 2021.”

Complicated things is the fact that MGM only owns part of Bond. Half is controlled by EON Productions, co-run by Barbara Broccoli, daughter of original Bond producer Albert “Cubby” Broccoli. Multiple sources say that Broccoli was initially unaware of the streaming-rights fishing expedition for No Time to Die, and when pitched by Ulrich, quickly took the boats out of the water, so to speak. “This was definitely not a meeting of the minds,” says a top-ranking studio exec with knowledge of the overtures.

Broccoli is seen as a staunch traditionalist who is very much in support of the theatrical experience. Furthermore, Bond is a franchise connected to luxury and scarcity, and by going to a streamer there could be a brand hit in her eyes, according to one insider. “It’s a dip into a pool you won’t be able to get out of,” says the source.

That sentiment points to a generational divide among executives. It is especially notable that even as MGM may be seen as cash-strapped, and could theoretically sell the Bond franchise, any buyer would have to contend with EON, an entity that is driving the creative engine on the movie and determining the output. It’s telling that there has not been a James Bond series focusing on, for example, Moneypenny, or spinoff on Goldfinger, or even, say, a cartoon centered on Blofeld’s cat.

Also feeling flummoxed on the sidelines are traditional Bond promotional partners such as watchmaker Omega and beer brand Heineken, who have geared up twice for a release that, unlike tomorrow, never came.

"The company to my knowledge has dismissed recent reports of a contemplated sale of its latest Bond film," adds Tuna Amobi, analyst at CFRA Research. "That being said, while the company seems to be currently in a bind due to its inability to effect a theatrical release of its latest Bond film, I believe the pandemic's disruption and resulting shifts in various distribution windows do raise some significant complications regarding the ultimate 'fair' valuation - either for the film or the library assets as a whole - which could pose a major hurdle for any such transaction, pending further visibility on the potential course of the pandemic."

twicks likes this.
  16. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I wonder if these numbers have anything to do with how good or bad the movie is. I was interested until that ghastly atonal mewling of a theme 'song'.....

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

At the time I posted the story, they were saying it was a rumor. There was later clarification of this story in Deadline:

Don’t Hold Your Breath Waiting To See 007 Film ‘No Time To Die’
    On Streamer As Talks Died Quickly – Deadline

I try very hard to differentiate from facts, rumors, and opinions whenever I write, so I tend to lean towards caution whenever I can, out of respect for the people involved and also in just making an effort to get the story right.

Sometimes leaks and rumors like this come out deliberately just to get "a version" of the story out. It's very likely if somebody were to swoop in and offer a very high price, Sony Pictures and Eon would agree to sell the rights for a year. Clearly, they're looking for more than $400M-$600M.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  18. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA! Thread Starter

It’s s wild uneducated guess when/if movie theaters will open

19. alexpop

Think more 2022, than 2021... anything later than 2022... movie theatre‘s will be dead as the dodo.

20. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I don't think any of the large chains have enough capital reserves to survive another year like 2020, they won't make it to 2022 unless they go to market and raise more funds (debt).It's not looking good right now, there are zero signs covid is slowing down and we're at least 6-8 months away from a vaccine being widely available.

21. bostonscoots

bostonscoots Forum Resident

I still don't believe the movie theaters are going to go completely extinct - people enjoy going to the movies too damn much. That said, I completely agree the cinema chains can't mount any kind of comeback until there's a vaccine and people feel 100% safe within them. They'll certainly need to reinvest in improved air circulation and food safety, stock up on disinfectant and sanitizer...

You gotta wonder how long Bond can hang on, though. Streaming's a non-starter for EON, but if they can't get make the April 2021 release date they'll be under a lot of pressure from various partners to do something about bringing some of that revenue back. Even if they do make April, will people be comfortable going back to theaters so soon? The articles mention Barbara Broccoli's a traditionalist for the cinema experience and worried about the Bond brand taking a hit going straight to streaming, but would soft box office numbers and tepid returns serve Bond better? All parties involved might get more traction and benefit from making No Time To Die some kind of streaming event or occasion before making the movie available to all (no doubt someone in the various marketing departments already ran that idea up the flagpole).

22. alexpop

No Time To Die was supposed to come out 2018. delayed till 2019.. then new release date 2020. If it doesn’t appear in the cinemas 2021. it will be nearly five years old.

No Time To Die ( droll movie title ). They should just file it away somewhere and start a new James Bond film, Bond 26.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  23. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

I agree with this. They should trash No Time to Die and start over
    again with a Connery / Lazenby / Moore / Dalton / Brosnan look-alike.
    Hire a new writer, too, someone who "gets" the Fleming novels and the
    first film Dr. No.

24. realkilroy

I want a proper version of Colonel Sun.

lechiffre and Richard--W like this.
  25. alexpop

Could be the last James Bond film,the way the pandemic is carrying on.