Films where they got exactly the right actor

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Sordel, Oct 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Peter Falk as himself in Wings of Desire?
    The Germans were always walking up to him in the film and saying: 'Hey Columbo!..

Okay... Peter O'Toole in My Favorite Year...

2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Robert Zemeckis' first choice but Family Ties executive producer Gary Goldberg wouldn't let Fox out of episodes as he was easily the most popular character and why people were tuning in. Filming for BTTF went ahead with Eric Stoltz who was playing the character in a downbeat tragic way and had no comedic instincts whatsoever. Spielberg was producing the picture. Zemeckis screened what he had to Spielberg after he voiced his concerns and was afraid the film would be a massive failure otherwise. The two had a terrific relationship making it easier to open up about those things.

Spielberg agreed and Zemeckis pleaded once more with Goldberg to allow Fox to work on the film. He agreed to allow Fox to read the script and stated that if he wants to do it, he can but with the understanding Family Ties comes first. does not miss any tapings and his work doesn't suffer. Zemeckis fired Stoltz and in an unprecedented move, re-filmed 5 weeks worth of work with Fox.

To make matters worse, Zemeckis stated he was under contract to make the movie by a certain date and if that didn't happen, the studio would cancel the movie altogether. Immediately, they're behind the 8-ball, scheduling-wise.

Fox' schedule was insane. He'd work on Family Ties from about 10am to 6pm, then be picked up in a station-wagon with a bed in the back where he could sleep while on route to the BTTF lot. He would then work on BTTF from 6pm-5am, be dropped off by a Fox employee who'd have to literally carry him to bed. This cycle for 4 months!

3. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Interesting. I never thought of it that way @vegafleet.

It's like a lotta people think I live in an Igloo 'cause I'm from Canada. :laugh:

4. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Dayman, fighter of the Nightman

The whole gang here

[​IMG]

5. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Greggery Peccary in To Kill A Mockingbird.

DorothyV likes this.
  6. GeetarFreek

GeetarFreek Forum Resident

Ian McKellen as Gandalf

The poor guy who played Jamie Gumb in Silence of the lambs

7. The Dark Elf

The Dark Elf Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Every last character in the movie Fargo, right down to the guy shoveling snow from his driveway.

8. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member

The Star Trek reboot movies

Chris Pine as James T. Kirk, Zachary Quinto as Spock, Karl Urban as Dr. McCoy, Zoe Saldana as Uhura, John Cho as Sulu, the late Anton Yelchin as Chekov, and Simon Pegg as Scotty

Say what you will about the scripts, the director, and the production of the films, but the reboot cast was perfect....especially having to be compared to the original and iconic cast.

How I wish Paramount can come up with a good script and the right director to maximize the enormous potential of that reboot cast.

9. musicfan37

musicfan37 Senior Member

Michael Pare - Eddie and the Cruisers

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    LilacTeardrop likes this.
  10. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Clint Eastwood as Will Munny in Unforgiven
    Richard Harris as English Bob in Unforgiven
    Gene Hackman as Little Bill Daggett in Unforgiven
    Morgan Freeman as Ned Logan in Unforgiven

Jamey K, Sean, polchik and 3 others like this.
  11. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

Times ten.

Tyrone Power as the lead in the noir film Nightmare Alley, 1947... no one else could have carried off his rise from ambitious low-level carney to nightclub mentalist, and subsequent fall to carnival geek.

Miriam likes this.
  12. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Honey Bunches of Sadness Forum Resident

I'm not saying you're wrong - but how about Montgomery Clift?

polchik, Panama Hotel and Sordel like this.
  13. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

LOL

14. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

15. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Well that’s just, like, your opinion, man.

supermd, Sean, musicarus and 6 others like this.
  16. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Max Schreck as Count Orlok - Nosferatu (1922)

Uuan, Phil12, Sean and 6 others like this.
  17. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

The entire cast of the Harry Potter series. It’s kind of weird or “fortunate” the 3 main characters never got much taller as they aged. Imagine if one of them grew to 6 feet tall by the 3rd movie?

rikki nadir likes this.
  18. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Tom Hulce as Mozart and F. Murray Abraham as Sarieli in Amadeus.

19. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

Kathleen Turner in Body Heat.
    Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange.

20. rock4ev

rock4ev Forum Resident

Lost my whole post, started over.
    Anyway....
    Robert Downey Jr - Iron Man
    And in more ways than one, not only did he have great performances, also his interaction with all the actors was spot on. Secondly without Iron Man the MCU wouldn't have amounted to what it did most likely during his tenure and the major successes all started there and afterwards, so a "certain" company drunk with money and thought will never end, they bought the studio, and that won't be the same again, neither the MCU and Star Wars, the ship done sailed.

So good on him for making the "company" f'up into thinking they have and need all.
    That has all past now and will not be successfully the same regardless what they do.
    The actors were what made the movies and most are out, or left...

Don't get me wrong, there were many great creative behind the scenes film industry people of all types that made this come to the screen excellent and exciting.
    Let us not forget Stan Lee... Nuff Said!!!
    Robert Downey Jr - Iron Man, very big time.
    Anyway that's my take and opinion.

21. buzzzx

buzzzx Forum Resident

Gene Hackman in "The Conversation". Perfectly cast.

Uuan, Scowl, BrentB and 4 others like this.
  22. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Worth it for Fox - the film launched him out of TV sitcoms, and made him a big movie star for a while.

23. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Ted Levine managed to avoid being typecast as a psychopathic weirdo, and has had a solid career as a character actor in Hollywood films, as well as cable TV series (most notably Monk and The Bridge.)

24. Honey Bunches of Sadness

They almost completely nailed the casting - a very tough feat to pull off. Pine, Quinto, and Cho are particularly spot-on. My one quibble is with Pegg as Scotty. He just seems much older than everyone else. And I like Pegg as an actor.

MrCJF likes this.
  25. Honey Bunches of Sadness

Bridges is the far superior actor, but I'd like to have seen what John Belushi could've done with the role (had he lived that long). I think he had a lot more range than he's generally given credit for. Timing would've been right, as both actors were born in the same year (1949).

'05Train likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.