Rock and Roll Hall Fame Class of 2020 is...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ModernDayWarrior, Jan 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Mexico

Ron Mexico Forum Resident

Since they have moved the schedule around to having the ceremony in November going forward the nominating committee will meet in January/early next year. The list of nominees will be announced after that and then the inductees will likely be later in the Spring. Previously the committee met in September, nominees announced in October, inductees announced in mid December.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  2. LilacTeardrop

LilacTeardrop "Roll It Over My Soul...and Leave Me Here"

I suppose I thought that it would perhaps be done like some of the benefit gigs have been done this year. I don't know the logistics, or technical aspects, of them - how they are being put together, as they are coming from different locations, some being from performers' own homes (or home studios) & some from small venues or studios which have opened for them to do so... i.e. Ringo Starr's b-day celebration & just this last Friday evening, Tom Petty (R.I.P.) birthday celebration. I guess that's why I'd said zoom, figuring that these performers are connecting to some place which is putting all of it together, from where they're performing from via some such means. All new happenings. :shrug:
    Thanks for tip on letting it load, so the buffering won't be so bad.

3. LilacTeardrop

For the Petty birthday benefit, Dhani Harrison & Graham Coxon (Blur) performance was from Friar Park Studio. A number of the live performances, whether they were live or pre-recorded for everything to be put together for the event w/clips & footage of Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers concert clips, looked to be coming from artists' own homes or home studios. Separate from that gig, a KT Tunstall performance had been live from the Lobrero Theatre via vimeo platform. So, re: Gore & Gahan, since some venue's are opening up their stages, they might even be able to do so together, if not from their separate homes. Jesse Malin has been doing live-streams w/full band from The Bowery Electric (NYC), sans audience. One was not streamed live, but was pre-recorded due to guest Run (Daryl McDaniels) D.M.C. arriving late due to another commitment. Sheryl Crowe's doing a number of them, w/her & band-members, separately, which are uploaded on youtube. Together w/full band did a full live-stream show Songs From The Big Green Barn - 2 shows actually - one was full electric show outside barn on a Friday evening & the other on Saturday acoustic, inside barn, which is her studio. I "attended" the Friday show only & her's had been very generously left up for a period of 2 weeks for re-views w/ticket purchase. Most seem to be 48-72 hours, which seems to be determined by artist.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Hep Alien likes this.
  4. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

We're not enough for you? Go ahead and cheat! See what we care!

Gaslight likes this.
  5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Waiting for BTS BST to get in

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  6. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

The big names eligible for the first time next year are:
    • Jay-Z
    • Foo Fighters

Also eligible for the first time:
    • The Chemical Brothers
    • Dandy Warhols
    • Deftones
    • Ben Folds Five
    • Garbage

7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I doubt any of those newly eligible acts will ever get in.

I love love love love love Garbage but can't claim they've had a Hall-worthy career. Great band but not successful enough, IMO! :shrug:

Foos are a lock.

8. Jmac1979

Jmac1979 Forum Resident

I could see Foo's getting in first ballot... besides maybe The White Stripes, they seem to be the last of the titan rock bands who are both commercially successful but also loved by the establishment types.

9. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I can agree with both of those. Dave Grohl is one of the most loved figures in rock music, always available to play a charity event, sit for an interview or engage in a "drum battle" with an adorable little girl.

Jack White is a booster for classic rock acts and tools and owns his own record pressing plant.

Ben Folds has a good chance as the type of serious songwriter the Hall like to see itself supporting.

10. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

Foos are a lock and so is Jay-Z. There’s just no conceivable way that he doesn’t get in. He’s in the same league or higher than the handful of hip hop artists already in. I don’t know if he will be in their Year One, but he’s definitely Hall bound.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  11. Oatsdad

I didn't state my argument well: yes, Jay-Z is a lock.

When I mentioned "newly eligible acts", I meant the ones listed in that 2nd category, not the 1st.

Foos and Jay-Z are 100% gonna get in right away!

Murph, KJTC and Chris DeVoe like this.
  12. KJTC

KJTC Forum Resident

ah, makes sense! I agree with you about the rest. Not likely to get in at all, and if any do, it won’t be for a very long time.

13. Oatsdad

Sorry for the confusion! Even the great Oatsdad writes the occasional poorly-worded post! ;) :laugh:

KJTC likes this.
  14. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

Jay-Z , Foo's are 100% locks

Oasis , also the Black Crowes , i think look good

they need to add a veterans committee (Like the Baseball/Football HOFs)

so the 50's -70's , overlooked people get a fair shot

Hep Alien and trumpet sounds like this.
  15. radickeyfan

radickeyfan Forum Resident

i still find it weird
    that so many Rapper's are getting in (and they deserve too)
    and LL Cool J , still gets snubbed , every time

they are going to have to get past that one Rap Act thing , they seem to have going

I mean there are so many locks in the Genre , that are going to be coming up (or should have been on the Ballot already)

Wu Tang , Outkast , Eminem , Common , Tribe , Snoop , Dre , Salt N Pepa , Nas , Ice T , Ice Cube , Will Smith , DMX , De La Soul and on and on

Chris DeVoe and Hep Alien like this.
  16. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

Nas > Jay-Z, but the Hall voters don't know that.... either that, or Jay Z gets in first because they think that will sell more tables at the event.

Hep Alien likes this.
  17. LilacTeardrop

Yeah, Foo Fighters definitely in & Jay-Z - it does usually amount more to a popularity contest than anything else.
    Pretty amazed at those 5 listed who've become eligible. I'm a big Garbage & The Dandy Warhols fan. I don't think The Dandies stand much of a chance, ever, as @Oatsdad said. Even though they are imaginative in combining a lot of different genre's, i.e. psychedclic, dream-pop, shoegaze, power pop, that's also what makes them just so indie & alternative. I may be mistaken, but I don't think those are pulled from very often to get in. I mean, The Replacements aren't in & IDK if they've even received eligibility.
    Garbage may stand a chance due more to Butch Vig, as producer, than Garbage's catalog & influence (?) But, IDK, has he been inducted singularly yet?

Oh, I think the Hall will snub Oasis for a bit longer. They didn't play the U.S. publicity game & I think, even though decades should be enough to be forgivable, I don't think it will allow that leniency quite yet. I'm also fairly certain, that'll rankle big time w/Noel, continuing to fuel his bitterness toward Liam, since part of that was Liam only showing up for the MTV Unplugged gig to sit in audience & heckle Noel. - Also, there's been a big number of U.K. acts last year & now w/Depeche Mode this year...I'm loving that, but that's been an unusually high # for U.K. Rock Hall inductions in short amount of time, especially w/the ever increasing wide-ranging musical disparity of inductees. And yet, I don't believe that will be wide-ranging enough to include The Dandy Warhols! :winkgrin: - They had to attain success first in U.K. before they ever gained it in their home-country...like The Killers thereafter. They'll be in the Rock Hall before The Dandy Warhols ever are....especially w/the Bruce-Springsteen-ish 2020 album, Imploding The Mirage. - Again, popularity contest. :sigh::shrug:
    It would be cool if Oasis & The Black Crowes were inducted same year, like their Brotherly Love tour!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    Hep Alien likes this.
  18. Murph

Murph Enjoy every sandwich!

Do you think the FF are HOF worthy? Interested to hear your take!

19. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Steve Miller and David Coverdale say the rock and hall fame is joke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.