Paul McCartney - The Official "Memory Almost Full" Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zipzorp, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

Although I think Paul is joking on the cover's "message", it's still something heartfelt: the empty chair might depict something like "this is me when I'm no longer here". Kind of sad.

2. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Another "non award winner".:D

3. brainwashed

brainwashed Forum Hall Of Fame

That's for sure Dave. Album artwork is so watered-down nowadays... imagine when it's only available via downloads? Oh well.. we can hope the music is good inside, just like you said. Ron

4. Claudio Dirani

Why you guys are skeptical on the music? There were 2 nice reviews already. Not by coincidence, they matched.
    best!

5. Dave D

Dave D Done!

We're talking about the cover art.

As far as the music goes, I won't judge the whole album on one song, but I hope the rest is much better.

Reviews? Take a look at the Genesis SACD thread to see what reviews amount to!:D

6. brainwashed

Who's skeptical? I think the cover art is rather bland and was simply referring to Dave's post that hopefully the music inside will be better. Two rave reviews don't make an album 'great' either, but I do have high hopes for this one. It's interesting that the single is supposedly unlike anything else on the album. Our friend Maccafan will be thrilled that there's at least one, out-an-out ROCKER on the album :righton: Ron

7. Johnny11758

Johnny11758 Member

"Memory Almost Full" -- An Intriguing Anagram?

According to the UK Sun, "The title [Memory Almost Full] is an anagram of the phrase For My Soul Mate L.L.M. and is a reference to LINDA LOUISE McCARTNEY — who died of breast cancer in 1998 and was Sir Paul’s one true love."

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,4-2007180820,00.html

8. Claudio Dirani

Of course good reviews do not make it great..but neither bad!
    I've read astounding reviews of Chaos and also bad reviews.
    Which of them are the correct ones?
    This will be always a matter of personal taste.
    On the art cover, I can't say it's stunning, but I can read something between the lines that might be cool.
    Check www.meyesight.com for something interesting on the album's EPK...

9. Claudio Dirani

the sun took it from a McCartney's fan speculation at Paul's board.

10. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Excellent point -- I was thinking of album covers, not his god-awful publicity shots. Still, he hasn't had a normal photograph of his face on an album cover since Press To Play. I thought the treatment done for the Flaming Pie cover was nice, though.

Thinking of those goofy PR shots makes me like the new cover even more!

11. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

It might also depict that Heather is gone except that the chair has all it's legs.:righton:

12. GrandpaFrederick

GrandpaFrederick Forum Resident

The problem is that those reviews... (or at least one of them) say also that Ever Present Past is great... But it's not.

It's not completely bad, but it's quite superficial and commercial. It doesn't seem enduring. It has already begun to bore me.

It seems something recorded and written to hit the radio, with quite silly a refrain.

Personally I don't dislike it. But the album will have to be much, much better than this to be a good album.

I understand that the album will be similar sounding, or am I wrong?

I hope he's not going to disappoint us interrupting his "renaissance".

13. stevemoss

stevemoss Forum Resident

You just need to take reviews with a grain of salt - they're subjective... based upon the preferences and hang-ups of the reviewers... Take praise in context... if your aesthetic doesn't jive with the reviewer's, his opionion will likely differ from yours (some people like strawberries, but if you don't you're probably not going to enjoy that strawberry cheesecake near as much as your friend does).

Some rumors point to Ever Present Past being a sonic departure from the remainder of the album. ...but right now, the jury's out, and nothing's conclusive. Make up your mind when the time comes, and there's plenty of real information to judge by. ;)

14. Sean Murdock

You forgot to mention your OWN review, Claudio! (on Macca Report)

Care to share any further thoughts with us?

15. Claudio Dirani

I can. Altough I listened to the thing once and I don't have the album with me, I can remember it doesn't have any other track similar to Ever Present Past (this goes for those who didn't like it). Which only contributes to my theory that this song was made to be a "catchy" single and work on radio.
    There're tons of Dark Macca stuff all over. For those who like this side of him, it's a treat (me included).
    House Of Wax is a GREAT track. It's hard to describe, but I'd say it's the Riding To Vanity Fair of MAF.

Unpredictalbe track is Only Mama Knows...you think it's a soft orchestral ballad on the way and then it's like you're hit by an anvil!

Funny track is Nod Your Head. I'd say Paul re-worked That's All For Now - the one he improvised at Chaos And Creation At Abbey Road special. Raucous vocals!

The medley that starts with Feet In The Clouds has some superb melodies. Vintage Macca on acoustic and piano.

Well, I hope it helps!
    Can't wait for the damn thing!

16. cb70

cb70 Senior Member

Reminds me of a cd I made back last year called The Dark Side of Macca filled with his darker side from 1970-2005. Sounds like I may have to update it or start volume II entitled Darth McCartney or something in a similiar vein.

17. brainwashed

Welcome to the forum :) One question. Ever Present Past may not be great, but it's certainly good. Just wondering, but a successful single NEEDS to be commercial-sounding, no? And sure, it does sound as if was written to be a "hit single". That's rather the point isn't? Have a hit single, garner some good reviews and the album becomes a success. This formula has been part of the music scene since the late 50's. Ron

18. Claudio Dirani

Yes, that's my view. Not the greatest ever track, but it works well.
    Contrary, for instance, than Jenny Wren. A bad choice for single, in my most humble opinion. It's a dead track for radio. While as a song, it's surely quite a gem. One of his best acoustic EVER and I'd even include Beatles releases.

19. Claudio Dirani

Please include on it Mr. Bellamy, House Of Wax and even the ballad You Tell Me. It has some Fireman-like effects spread on it. The overall feeling of the album is dark, I have to say.

20. maccafan

maccafan Senior Member

I can't put my finger on it, but for some strange reason I'm not as excited about this album as I was earlier.

21. Claudio Dirani

maybe the lack of surprise it spoils.
    I listened to it once, and I'm bit more excited I can tell.

22. mark f.

mark f. Senior Member

I've been reluctant to chime in on a thread about an album that is still a bunch of weeks away but this one comment got me interested.

The thing I like about McCartney is that he is constantly willing to interupt himself. Even if you don't like all of his albums its hard to deny that he is always trying new things. I say this because I full expect him to interupt his renaissance if it means putting something different out. I definitely don't expect CAC part 2.

The single is really fun and despite having not heard it for 4 days it's still in my head.

23. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I really dig that cover.

24. Sean Murdock

Have faith, maccafan! I made myself a CDR to help distract myself from the pre-album jitters. It's called "Back On My Feet: 1987-2007" and it includes:

01. Kicked Around No More
    02. The World Tonight
    03. Friends To Go
    04. Hope of Deliverance
    05. Little Willow
    06. Too Much Rain
    07. Back In The Sunshine
    08. Distractions
    09. Lonely Road
    10. My Brave Face
    11. Mistress and Maid
    12. At The Mercy
    13. The Lovers That Never Were
    14. About You
    15. A Certain Softness
    16. I Do
    17. Souvenir
    18. A Room With A View
    19. Back On My Feet
    20. Rinse The Raindrops

Try to forget about the new one for now, and enjoy what you already have! I'm sure you'll love the new one!

25. Wogew

Wogew Member of The People's Front of Judea

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.