Parasound amps appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by pdxway, May 31, 2019.

1. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

That is a really nice looking set up. Like you, I just moved up to the A-21+, what an amplifier! The Rogue audio is a nice looking piece! I just like those silver and champagne components!:thumbsup:

avanti1960 and pdxway like this.
  2. Litejazz53

I just keep both pots at minimum, full counter clock wise. I am using the Parasound JC-2 BP pre-amp. You can put them really anywhere you like.

avanti1960 likes this.
  3. Monty12

Monty12 Forum Resident

I was also curious where to leave the gain controls on the back of the JC5. I emailed Parasound and this is the response i got. For full context, i use the Parasound Jc2 and my speakers are JBL 4367. For me, leaving the gain control at maximum resulted in the volume control ramping up ridiculously too fast. I choose to leave the gain control on the back of the JC5 in the middle setting.

So this is their response :
    9 times out of 10 the amp's gain controls will be set to their maximum. But if you find that the volume control on the JC2 ramps up to fast you may want to turn down the amp's level controls as you have done. There is nothing wrong with leaving them where you have set them. The only tricky part is making sure you have turned the Left and Right the same amount.

pdxway and mreeter like this.
  4. Litejazz53

Just so you know, in regard to adjusting your amps input pots, there is a way you can perfectly balance your R&L speakers, where you will know, without a doubt they are perfectly balanced. Because they are in the same place does not necessarily mean they are exact, but you can know by connecting a Hafler speaker to the hot leads on the amp, and adjust the balance knobs until you reach "exact" center channel information and you then know you are completely balanced.

5. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Considering an A21+ to replace my aging McCormack DNA225....everyone still happy with thier Parasounds??

Scratcha likes this.
  6. Scratcha

Scratcha Forum Resident

Yes, I'm very happy with my A23+.
    I'm currently feeding the A23+ with my Tortuga LDR300.V25, passive Preamp. All single-ended interconnects from DAC to Pre to Amp.
    Very nice match-up!

The A23+ also did well with my Freya S Preamp.

Glmoneydawg and pdxway like this.
  7. Litejazz53

The A-21+ is very hard to beat, an excellent amplifier, highly recommended.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MikeJedi, Scratcha, Pythonman and 4 others like this.
  8. SoCalUser

SoCalUser Forum Resident

yes and no. I’ve got the old (2015) halo integrated with Maggie 1.7i speakers. I suspect I am tiring of the signature mellow and rolled off highs of the HALOs preamp section. So as a test, I bypassed the HALOS pre with my old integrated pre, using CD DIRECT from my DAC analog out.....this option bypasses tone controls into an active pre amp stage. So I am using the halos amplifier section.

BINGO!

The highs are restored, the sound is more airy and present with more clarity. I am considering another pre amp to drive my Parasounds amp section, equivalent to the a23+ in specs. So I believe you cannot go wrong with any Parasound amplifier as long as you are happy with your preamp.

Scratcha, Glmoneydawg and pdxway like this.
  9. hacksaw99

hacksaw99 Well-Known Member

Didn't Parasound at one time have a buyback/upgrade program? If so, do they do it annually?
    I ask because I have a P3/A23 and am thinking about trading in for a HINT 6 (or maybe A23+/P6).

Scratcha likes this.
  10. Litejazz53

You poor pre-amp complaint I have never heard of. I had the same Integrated amplifier, the older HINT, the original, and it was wonderful, no rolled off anything. I believe I would have to call Richard and talk with him on that issue, something is amiss on that, it should absolutely not sound rolled off at all.

Another thing you might try, if, like me, you enjoy a brilliant, robust high end, give a pair of Aperions a shot, best money I have ever spent on a really cool tweak!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What you are seeing are two different models of their Super Tweeters, the Planar Magnet design and the one on the right is the Full Ribbon Design. Either one of the designs is "fantastic", I own both!

[​IMG]

pdxway likes this.
  11. SoCalUser

SoCalUser Forum Resident

When I first bought the halo integrated, they were paired with Klipsch floor standing speakers, which are high sensitivity horn speakers, so I didn’t notice any rolled off highs. I believe the Maggies being low sensitivity are revealing this problem. The difference is subtle, but noticeable. It’s only after months of listening it’s become apparent to me. This seems to coincide with many reviewer‘s comments of the same, I’ll bet they’re not using horn speakers in their reviews. A solution could be new speakers, but I’m finding a new preamp could also solve this problem, I do love my Maggies they give me a good soundstage.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
  12. Wenthrope

Wenthrope Forum Resident

Been living with the A21+ for just over a month and I’m very happy with it. Currently using a Cambridge Audio 851N as a digital streamer and preamp. Coming from an old Outlaw Audio RR2150,dDriving my KEF Reference 1s, the best way I can describe the A21+ is effortless power (headroom).

Scratcha, mds, mreeter and 4 others like this.
  13. SoCalUser

SoCalUser Forum Resident

I was just looking at this preamp to possibly drive my Parasound amp after reading about Pass Labs DIY buffer stages. I like the concept of volume control with a unity gain buffer for impedance matching.....as little coloration as possible, at least in theory.

Scratcha likes this.
  14. Litejazz53

When I wrote to you, I did not realize you had Magnepan speakers. I don't know which model you have, but they are difficult speakers to deal with, or at least they were for me. I had the most beautiful pair of 3.7's , my gosh, they were magnificent.
    The soundstage, the presentation, the female voices, the reproduction of piano music, heck ALL instruments. What those 3.7's did with solo piano, and a small Jazz setting was more than amazing. At that time, I was using a Jeff Rowland 8 Ti-HC (High Current) amplifier, Jeff builds his products to really put out the juice (100 Amps), and this one certainly could.

On classical music, pop music, rock music, I always found myself turning the volume up to achieve that powerful low end slam and dynamics, but it was simply never there. The 3.7's would get "loud" but not convincing. I could achieve uncomfortable volume levels with no low end dynamics, always a frustration. I had this unreal sound stage, midrange and high frequencies that were nothing short of heavenly, however on the low end, virtually nothing and no dynamics. I lived with them for about 9 months, and if I only listened to a limited type of music, I would have been completely happy with them, but I always ran into the no slam, no dynamics in the midbass and lower bass frequencies.

I tried patching the shortcomings with two subwoofers. Even with the subs, there was always that gap, the transition was never smooth and there were those lower frequencies with such limited dynamics, so for me, that was the end of the road with the Magnepan 3.7's.

Have you ever noticed yourself wanting to continually turn them louder in order to hear that dynamic presentation, but you just never get there? That is what happened to me on many occasions. I will add one more thought. From what I learned of the 3.7's, the HINT would be very marginal, power wise, you just really needed reserve current to power the 3.7's.:shrug:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    Clay B and SoCalUser like this.
  15. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

good question! still happy and goals are met but it depends on what you like out of your sound.
    the a21+ definitely plays louder than my outgoing rogue audio stereo 100 for those times when i want to turn it up. it is refined and smooth sounding, deep bass is ok but i was expecting more. midrange is a touch recessed and highs are good. my biggest complaint is the lack of explosiveness in the micro dynamics. very good but it doesnt blow me away like the stereo 100 did. my initial impression was the a21+ seems hesitant by comparson and while that has improved i still cannot shake that impression. the steteo 100 was also more transparent and had a bigger soundstage.
    also preamp is important as are interconnects. i would not use the a21+ without a tube preamp.
    if you value the need to crank up the volume the a21+ will get the job done without much sacrifice in sound quality.
    if you value transparency, micro dynamics and sound stage and can live with slightly less max volume and the positional requirements of a tube amp, the rogue stereo 100 is a better choice.

16. tIANcI

tIANcI Wondering when the hifi madness will end

All I can say is the new + series sounds better. It’s more refined. I had the P5 & A23 combo, was slightly forward sounding. Returned it in like 2 weeks. But Parasound’s preamps like the P6 are sweet. You can set up a nice HT and 2 channel system with them.

Anyone heard the NewClassic integrated? It’s good.

MarkBK, Monty12 and pdxway like this.
  17. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I never heard of any buy back program from Parasound and I have owned numerous products theirs. Perhaps individual dealers might have offered a buy back program.

18. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I own the JC5 along with a McIntosh tube preamp. I have preferred this combination for many years now. Also, I always adjust the gain controls on the back of the amplifier to maximum.

Monty12 and pdxway like this.
  19. Glmoneydawg

Glmoneydawg Forum Resident

Lol...your experience and honesty are making this tough.I have zero complaints with my present system.....but my amp is 18 years old and seems like logical candidate for change.

Monty12 likes this.
  20. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

sorry ! :) your best upgrade would involve some tubes imho, the harbs love them. your amp isnt that old and delivers excellent power.

Monty12 and Glmoneydawg like this.
  21. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Nothing currently from Parasound, but sending you a quick PM.

22. Scratcha

Scratcha Forum Resident

Check out Tortuga's website;
    Contact Morten.
    He's got some new products that I've been considering

23. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Halo A52 with Def Tech BP7002 Def Techs. Yammie CxA5200 pre pro. Have had the A52 since 2012. No complaints. Wonderful sound with my speaks and setup. Listen to everything rock jazz classical etc. and movies. The Para seems to be neutral with a touch of warmth .. love the sound

Scratcha, Rick58 and pdxway like this.
  24. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

I feel the A52 is that good that when I upgrade to probably the GoldenEar Triton.One in the new house I am having built in April I will be using it to power those and a new matching center. I feel the A52 is conservative in the specs and can run decently sensitive speaks to great levels in a decent sized room. Of course eventually if I feel I need more I can make a moderate upgrade to the A52 plus :)

Scratcha and pdxway like this.
  25. Doctor Fine

Doctor Fine "So Hip It Would Blister Your Brain"

Yeah, well problem is I bought these and the volume control doesn't go anywhere near low enough.
    At their lowest setting they still drowned out all my other speakers and added a nasty rasp to everything.
    With better volume controls---who knows?
    I MIGHT have liked them.
    Please stop recommending these to everyone.
    They only work well with extremely low efficiency speaker setups...