Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 18, 2020)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jerry Horne, Jun 23, 2018.

1. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

And with you doing all the work! ;)

2. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Good list! I had scribbled down a bunch of these titles but hadn't gotten around to posting. I also consulted our own Luca Perasi's excellent Recording Sessions book for confirmations; many thanks to Luca. I'm going to add some more songs, and details about the additional musicians, if you don't mind....

Flaming Pie
    ----------------
    Calico Skies
    Great Day (Linda on vocals)

Obvious inclusions, yes, but included to expand the list to the beginning of the "Modern Macca" era. Plus, back in the day, Flaming Pie was the first album that fans thought of as a kinda-sorta unofficial not-quite-but-almost McCartney III. Most tracks have only two musicians on them.

Chaos & Creation
    ------------------------
    Friends To Go
    Too Much Rain
    Promise To You Girl
    I've Only Got Two Hands (hidden track, 2 versions)
    Comfort Of Love (b-side)
    Summer of '59 (vinyl-only b-side)

ALSO:
    Fine Line (plus strings)
    How Kind Of You (plus loops)
    Jenny Wren (plus duduk)
    English Tea (plus strings and brass)
    This Never Happened Before (plus orchestration)
    Anyway (plus orchestration)
    You Are So Beautiful (plus orchestration)

That's most of the album! I drew the line at any track where someone else played a main instrument, especially guitar or drums. Can't be a faux Macca 3 with Joey Waronker on drums...

Memory Almost Full
    ----------------------------
    Dance Tonight
    Ever Present Past
    See Your Sunshine
    Nod Your Head
    In Private

ALSO:
    Mr. Bellamy (plus orchestration)
    Gratitude (plus horns)
    The End of the End (plus orchestration)
    Why So Blue (plus orchestration)
    222 (plus clarinet)

Again, a good chunk of MAF was recorded "McCartney" style, with subsequent outside musicians overdubbing orchestral flourishes later. The other third of the album features the band.

Electric Arguments
    ---------------------------
    All of it! Every track is all Macca. Except apparently Youth is on ONE track. I ain't looking it up...

I Want To Come Home [single]
    -------------------------------------------
    I Want To Come Home (plus orchestration)

A one-off for a movie soundtrack, rumored to be from a large cache of 2009 solo recordings (perhaps demos) recorded with Geoff Emerick.

NEW
    -------
    Struggle
    Scared
    Hosanna (plus iPad tamboura app)

Lots of band involvement on this one, but Paul gets to flex his studio mastery on a few tracks.

Egypt Station
    -------------------
    Confidante

ALSO:
    Fuh You (plus programming and orchestration)
    Hand In Hand (plus orchestration)
    C-Link (plus orchestration)

I amended the original list to match my (ahem) criteria; i.e., it doesn't count if someone else played guitar, keyboards or drums!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  3. mrjinks

Not all of EA: Youth played an instrument on one track. I recently quoted a post from cb70 saying this; perhaps you can easily find it via search.
    EDIT: Paul McCartney - McCartney III (Dec 11, 2020)

The ES musician credits (by track) were available on the dedicated ES website. Not sure if it’s still active...
    EDIT: the always-resourceful @Marry a Carrot has already provided this below...

Who Cares, theMess, omikron and 2 others like this.
  4. Marry a Carrot

Marry a Carrot Interesting blues gets a convincing reading.

Who Cares, theMess, omikron and 4 others like this.
  5. Sean Murdock

Thank you to you and Mr. Carrot; I was able to update my post before the window closed...

6. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Now cut that out! I reposted the playlist that I typed myself once off of the playlist on Spotify, and I thought about it a lot. My friend Sean helped a little too, I guess. Also do you really think I can let all this equal work by the three of us go without memorializing it with a new Spotify playlist?

planckera, Who Cares, theMess and 3 others like this.

7. I put your name and list all over my post - it’s just that Mr. Jinks is mean and likes to
    Mention your name - because he likes you to post in response. LOL. ;)

8. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The Fireman stuff was not Paul alone in the studio. Even though he played nearly everything he did those albums in cooperation with Youth. Therefore it doesn't not count as McCartney albums.
    Paul himself explained that after he done the recordings for the new album he wasn't t sure what to do with the material and then it struck him it could be McCartney III so I am confident he was the one who came up with the title that now of course works well in the marketing of the album. The good thing about it is that the marketing now doesn't t focus on Pauls fabled Beatles past but directly links to two of his own solo-albums. That-as far as I am concerned-goes a way of accepting that also parts of Pauls post-Beatles career is turning towards the iconic level. Not really a bad things for us long-time admirers of Pauls post-beetles work that now spann 50 years of recordings.
    We ll see if the album manage to live up to the hype.

9. Thanks Sean! Awesome work, list and details. Really appreciate it.

It’s a totally pure rendition.

So folks have total all Paul and almost all Paul tracks to gear up for III - which means it won’t sound like any of the songs from all lists. ;)

10. mrjinks

My psychic powers tell me you’re tempted to do a nifty graphic pdf file with ES album credits that could be inserted in the cd or LP, and share it with the forum. Give in to the temptation, Sean...
    :)

Paulwalrus, theMess, supermd and 2 others like this.
  11. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Follow up question: are there any Beatles songs featuring only Paul besides Black Bird and Her Majesty?

12. mrjinks

‘Mean mrjinks sleeps in his bed / gets in Dr. Pepper’s head...”

theMess and supermd like this.
  13. Ivan

Ivan Forum Resident

Wild Honey Pie?

Dr. Pepper and PhoffiFozz like this.
  14. jmxw

jmxw Fab Forum Fan

I put together my own list, but got timed out in the time it took to compile it and I logged back in and there's this... :righton:

Couple of notes:
    Isn't Somedays from Flaming Pie Paul + Orchestra? I'd include that.
    I think your "You Are So Beautiful" is actually "She Is So Beautiful".
    Wasn't it reported somewhere in an interview that the clarinet in 222 was actually Paul?
    Add bonus track Demons Dance to New
    I would add to ES Get Enough (with backing vocals & programming) and Nothing For Free (with backing vocals & programming)
    Also, Dominoes is close (with backing vocals & cimbalom) but it could go either way...

Edit: also, if you look past the Linda vocals, Appaloosa and B-side To Seaside are all Paul instrumentally...

15. Your on a roll! LOL. ;)

• [​IMG]

mrjinks likes this.
  16. Sean Murdock

Haha, that's not a terrible idea, I'll have to consider that. Would be much easier to do it as an insert for the LP, but perhaps a CD mini-booklet could be done...

17. Sean Murdock

Correct!
    Correct again! Whoopsie...
    Luca's book lists the clarinet as "unknown musician," but I wouldn't be totally shocked if it was Paul.
    Thanks, forgot that one.
    I admit I didn't seek out the bonus track credits because I was trying to edit my post in under 30 minutes. Thanks again.
    Yes, I had that scribbled down and omitted it. All good additions!

theMess, jmxw, supermd and 2 others like this.
  18. Bemagnus

Bemagnus Music is fun

The track list put together by fellow forum member on the Beatles project makes some sense-at least all those titles are confirmed. Only ten songs though not the eleven announced. Maybe there is a hidden track. It s hard to know but this list makes sense

Long Tailed Winter Bird

Written by Paul McCartney

Studio version

Session Recording:
    April - June 2020 ?
    Studio :
    Hog Hill Studio, Rye, UK
    Find My Way
    Studio version
    Session Recording:
    April - June 2020 ?
    Studio :
    Hog Hill Studio, Rye, UK
    Pretty Boys
    Studio version
    Session Recording:
    April - June 2020 ?
    Studio :
    Hog Hill Studio, Rye, UK
    Women And Wives
    Studio version
    Session Recording:
    April - June 2020 ?
    Studio :
    Hog Hill Studio, Rye, UK
    Lavatory Lil'
    Studio version
    Session Recording:
    April - June 2020 ?
    Studio :
    Hog Hill Studio, Rye, UK
    Slidin'
    Studio version

Session Recording:
    April - June 2020 ?
    Studio :
    Hog Hill Studio, Rye, UK
    Deep Deep Feeling
    Britten by Paul McCartney
    Studio version
    Session Recording:

April - June 2020 ?
    Studio :
    Hog Hill Studio, Rye, UK
    Seize The Day

Writtten by Paul McCartney
    Studio version
    Session Recording:
    April - June 2020 ?
    Studio :
    Hog Hill Studio, Rye, UK
    Winter Bird
    Studio version

Session Recording:
    April - June 2020 ?
    Studio :
    Hog Hill Studio, Rye,
    When Winter Comes

Studio version

Session Recording:

April - June 2020 ?

Studio :
    Hog Hill Studio, Rye, UK

19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Come And Get It

Dr. Pepper likes this.
  20. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yes, my dad and a lot of others I know who bought it when it came out, loved it and still do to this day.

I think John, George & Ringo all slammed it pretty hard at the time too, which probably made it seem worse to Paul.

theMess and Mkirk like this.
  21. PhoffiFozz

I'm pretty sure that is just midi played by Paul. I've done it enough times to recognize the sound.

22. PhoffiFozz

I wonder where April-June comes from. It's hard to tell without hearing the album, but I'd bet he was still overdubbing and recording past June. Unless he's planned more of this than he's let on.

Solaris Morse likes this.
  23. DrAftershave

DrAftershave A Wizard, A True Star

THIS ALBUM BETTER LIVE UP TO ALL THE HYPE IT'S CREATED. I JUST CAN'T BE LET DOWN.

24. PhoffiFozz

I get that people feel that way. But as I get older, I realize that it's actually pretty rare that I will hold the same opinion of most music forever, particularly with artists that I like an overwhelming amount of their output.

So sometimes when I first get something that I think "dang, I was hoping for something better" that I better just hold on to it for a while and come back to from time to time, because something there is going to strike a chord at some point.

I also realize that not all people are that way. Some people have an opinion of something and it never waivers. We all have different personalities, so that happens. But a percentage of those people are also not open to the idea of changing their opinion too. And they're entitled to feel that way.

But for me, it's 2020. I wasn't expecting this. Paul has created so much. And with the amount of material he's put out, combined with the very small snippet we have heard in the promo video, I just can't see how there wouldn't be anything that I find at least somewhat interesting or fascinating that wouldn't deserve me to explore quite a bit.

25. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Oh no. I will gladly go to the guillotine in order to defend "Bip Bop": "Give me liberty, or give me death".

But never, never, never will I ever defend "Ou Est Le Soleil".

;)

PhoffiFozz, supermd, Bemagnus and 3 others like this.