Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Must admit I’m preferring Prison Break to other faced paced shows like 24/Homeland/The Americans. Really underrated this action crime thriller series.

Brenald79 likes this.
  2. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

I watched The Pacific for the second time a while ago, and found I enjoyed it more than when it first aired. I think part of it was I could follow the characters better, and how who related to who.

Gotta say, the scene where Leckie gets back home and shows up at Vera's house was one of the best of either series.

alexpop likes this.
  3. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

As the Pacific theater was, I believe.

First season of Prison Break was great, and second was ok. After that, it just became increasingly ludicrous.

Think it was me that mentioned The Deuce. And again have to recommend Generation Kill.

alexpop likes this.
  4. alexpop

Prison Break season 4 must admit that was chore.

The Deuce is excellent especially season 1.

I’ll look out for Generation Kill.

5. alexpop

The Vampire Diaries

Season 1 for 1$.( incentive price ).

Lost’s Ian Somerhalder in it+ a bunch of teen babes.

Vampire theme is a bit deja vu, meh. Guess season 1 will do till something else comes along.

6. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Wait'll you see the reboot.

Re: Vampire Diaries. Nina Dobrev pushes all the right buttons.

alexpop likes this.
  7. alexpop

Lingerie + fangs. :)

True Blood is superior I read.

The vampire thing is not really my cup of tea.
    TV series per se in the 21stC ? Backtracking the there’s not much I haven’t seen now.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  8. alexpop

The big dvd 1-4 Prison Break box had disc 7, a stand alone episode. Which meant last episode on disc 6 was the final episode, which I found a bit cut to the chase ending with the General getting the electric chair. Only to find disc seven was the missing link episode , best one in s4 not that i cared by this time. Lol.

I’ll be given Prison Break Season 5 .. a miss.

9. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

Watched True Blood and it was good, but I wouldn't say great. But, cable, so gratuitous nudity and such.

Nina Dobrev just has it all for me. Brunette, husky voice, on the cute side of beautiful, my kinda girl.

A major reason to keep watching.

Pay attention to Somerholder. Saw a review that said he has two acting reactions: either full blown eyes wide open, or where his pupils narrow down into tiny dots. Yep, nailed him.

It's funny when you watch now that you've heard that about him. You can't stop seeing it.

alexpop likes this.
  10. alexpop

Nina ? Easy on the eye. :agree:
    He got bumped of early in LOST. :)

11. alexpop

Narcos : Mexico season 2.

Is the dvd / blu ray coming out this year ?

12. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

If other over-the-top series like The Walking Dead and Banshee (same creator) is what tickles your fancy then check out Warrior on HBO. Season 2 currently airing is just as good as the best of those 2 series.

alexpop likes this.
  13. alexpop

Season 1 is available dvd/bd.:righton:

Warrior
    IMDb has a “ ? “Regarding ...series 3.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  14. Fahzz

Fahzz Forum Resident

You members that like WWII history films might want to watch "The King's Choice" if you have Prime Video and don't mind subtitles. It's about the fall of Norway in 1940. Beautifully filmed and acted.

slipkid likes this.
  15. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Comments about Narco
    Can't answer your question but have some comments on Narcos and a question of my own.

First the question - is Narcos:Mexico season 2 the last season or is another coming out?

I am currently watching that and am almost done. I started in order with the 3 seasons of the "regular" Narcos (about the drug trade in Columbia then moved on to the Mexico series to watch things in proper order (although if I understand it right some of it overlaps and some of Mexico might have happened b4 the events in Columbia etc).

Regardless I am finding Narcos: Mexico to be 100x more enjoyable and thrilling than regular Narcos was. The first two seasons of Narcos concerned mostly just the rise and fall of Pablo Escobar and although well done had no "ooomph" to it, no tension to reel you in making me can't wait to see what happens next, no super strong characters to root for or care that much about, none of the thrills, chills, suspense, characters,writing, wow factors of shows like Breaking Bad, The Shield, Dexter, Battlestar Galactica, Fargo, Justified, Counterpart, The Wire, Man in the High Castle, Better Call Saul, etc etc no groundbreaking crazy head spinning plot twists/turns like Mr Robot or insanely addictive artsy weirdness like Twin Peaks (especially the recent series reboot) or even the incredible artistic take on the cops & the drug trafficking world with slow pacing & amazing directing like in Too Old to Die Young by Nicolas Winding Refn. Instead Narcos was just "there" - a straightforward dramatization of events & people that just didn't move me.

Although I felt that season 3 at least did ramp up the attention and drew me in, because it gave us a character to care about, a guy to root for, a professional who although in the employ of the narcos was actually a decent man who was very much at the top of his craft, who puts himself & his family in extreme jeopardy as he slowly realizes that there is no way out for him from the sadistic sociopaths he works for.

Nothing against the "good guys" (cops) in Narcos, and Pena did draw me in in season 3 with what he found himself up against, which btw, what the heck happened to Steve who was the narrator and seemed to be the main character cop for the audience to identify with? After the end in season 2 once he took down Escobar he just disappeared and I do not recall any explanation for what happened to him.

Narcos: Mexico on the other hand gave me multiple characters (cops) to REALLY root for, stories with twists and turns, dramas which left me on the edge of my seat wanting to keep watching. And I have not finished season2 yet.

Also want to say that the actor who plays the main cop called Walt in season 2 is great; saw him a couple months ago in the western Godless (only one season of that was done, and it is one complete story, like a 8 hour western movie) and he was great in that too.

alexpop likes this.
  16. alexpop

I‘m just started with season one : Narcos Mexico.. finding it ok so far. Looks like all the goodies are in S2 ( have to wait for dvd .. this year I’d imagine).

slipkid likes this.
  17. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Although it is not 100% nec. I recommend you do start the regular Narcos first (not sure if you did or not). There are tie-ins between both shows.

Yes, S2 of Narcos:Mexico was the best one, IMO.

alexpop likes this.
  18. alexpop

I seen all the Narcos chronology order.

Preferred Narcos 3 best
    Either Narcos 2 or Narcos 1 next.
    Lastly Narcos Mexico s1
    Yet to see N Mexico s2.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    slipkid likes this.
  19. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Curious what you think of NM S2 once you get to see that. I just finished it.

alexpop likes this.
  20. alexpop

Hopefully a major juju change in the script / stronger action scenes. Main problem with NM-S1 is the actors themselves, i just don’t find them convincing, have no empathy for the characters, like a watered down Narcos per se. Wonder if they’ll be a Narcos - Costa Rica.. or Narcos -Cuba in the future? All the above just in my opinion.

21. alexpop

I used see all the movies first usually before my friends then double dip and get VHS/DVD etc.
    Now it seems I’m the last kid in the block to see a TV series ( ones that get a physical dvd release) have to wait six months for latest season dvd. Trying to avoid spoilers. Last season of Game Of Thrones was not easy, avoiding spoilers. Advantage of Blu Ray/DVD .. pause / play .. subtitles option, watch it endlessly... trade it/sell it $$$$.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  22. alexpop

Just to recap.
    NM season 1... last chapter was very good.
    High hopes for season 2

23. alexpop

Watched Deadwood the movie the other night, second time, it was like a bad season episode, still didn’t do anything for me.

Later .. still on a western film kick ..watched Wyatt Earp ( 1994) early scene Kevin Costner as a Fight Referee.. noticed he looked like someone from Breaking Bad, in BB offshoot show Better Call Saul .. season 1, Saul Goodman says to a woman who he takes home under the pretence he’s Kevin Costner. Noticed in the Wyatt Earp scene .. sure enough a striking resemblance to Saul/ Bob Odenkirk. Lol.. :D

24. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

I enjoyed the first season of Get Shorty. It had a nice blend of comedy and grit.

They lost me in season 2 where a drugged out father picks up his daughter and her field hockey team drive them to a game. Aside from the fact that 15 girls don't fit in a car I lost all sympathy for the lead protagonist then. The (TV show) 24 level of traveling around LA is also annoying. Adam Arkin usually can balance this stuff better.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
  25. alexpop

Great in both shows. Think he was better in The Shield.