MeTV launching classic cartoon blocks

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by BradOlson, Oct 31, 2020.

1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

2. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Nice!

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Ah, great news! Thanks for posting!!!!

4. Pizza

Pizza With extra pepperoni

Cool!!

5. BradOlson

I am glad all of you like this news

JediJones likes this.
  6. woody

woody Forum Resident

Great idea for a Saturday morning block!

7. BradOlson

I agree.

JediJones and longdist01 like this.
  8. geetar_await

geetar_await I heart Linux.

Great news!

9. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

This sounds like fun! I'll watch (while eating a giant bowl of Froot Loops, of course!). :)

10. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon are dead right?
    I'm getting flashbacks to my chilodhood in the 80's with me tvs cartoon programming.

11. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Apologies if you seen me post this before, but I’m amazed at how poorly Warner has handled the Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies library over the last 20 years. They deliberately pulled the shorts off network TV after 35 years and out of syndication so they could be exclusive to Cartoon Network. Then, after a few short years, they pushed them off to Boomerang. Now, people under 20 haven’t been exposed to that content.

It’s great that they’re finally licensing them again, but they won’t reach a new audience on a nostalgia channel like MeTV. They’ve lost a generation of fans. Foolish.

12. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

13. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Oh, it thought it would be actual Saturday morning cartoons

14. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Dead? No, they're both still very much around.

15. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

MeTV? As long as they don't interrupt my mesothelioma ads!

Boom Operator, CDV, JediJones and 5 others like this.
  16. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

That's what I was thinking of too when it came to "Saturday Morning Cartoons". From what it looks like, what they are going to show remind me more of a "weekday half-hour cartoon show on your local UHF station."

One thing they should do is go beyond the Warner Brothers Catalog, and include the other Saturday Morning Cartoon Studios, such as DePatie-Freleng (Pink Panther), Filmation (Archie and a large number of other licensed properties), and also include early anime (like Speed Racer, Astro Boy, and 8-Man). They could also show little-seen shows, such as Around The World In 80 Days (which was only on the air for 1 year and as far as I know has never been released on video or shown on reruns). They could also run hybrid shows (featuring live-action and animation) like The Banana Splits (which could be shown in order so you could make sense of some of the segments). There's enough material out there to easily do a 5-hour Saturday Morning cartoon block.

Linus, MikaelaArsenault and Hall Cat like this.
  17. Mirrorblade.1

The Pink Panther cartoon I tired a few years ago it's really.. really.. bad.. a product of the time.
    I'm not a kid anymore.. some things I still enjoy that cartoon is not one of them..

Dan C likes this.
  18. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

MeTV had a Krofft block on Saturday morning for a few years - HR Pufnstuf and Land of the Lost. retroTV had The Archies at one point, and Tales From the Wizard of Oz (from Rankin Bass). Currently, retroTV shows The Houndcats and The Barkeys, both from DePatie-Freleng, on Saturdays.

19. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I’m watching T&J on METV right now and unfortunately both toons I’ve seen so far are the dumb/unfunny ones from the 1960s. Hoping for some classic 40s/50s but none so far.

20. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

One of my fave Merrie Melodies right here:

rd1 likes this.
  21. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

I was happy to see MeTV use the “This Is It” theme with the original animation front he 60s and 70s. They butchered it a bit, unnecessarily, though.

I was also surprised to see a B&W Looney Tunes cartoon from the 40s, since the B&Ws never showed up on ABC and CBS’ Saturday morning packages. Of the other 5, four of them were from the post-1948 package that aired on the network Saturday morning show. And one was a pre-1948 color cartoon that was previously syndicated by AAP.

22. Jackson

Jackson Senior Member

You can watch most of this stuff on YouTube ANYTIME you like.

23. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

I would have some sort of a host who keeps cartoons in his hat and stuff like that, where they take off their hat and the camera zooms into black and a Roger Ramjet or whatever starts! That and some puppets! MeTV should hire me, I'll do it, my BF has a bunch of hats and I can do lots of voices, it'll be a smash! One definite must-have though are Heckle & Jeckle cartoons, no negotiations without 'em, sorry. :D

24. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

Only for Flex Seal, Little Seizures Pizza, and the seemingly week-long Children's Hospital spots.

CDV, Dillydipper and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  25. Mirrorblade.1

In California we had Tom Hatten he was good..
    When I was a kid I don't remember any hosts for cartoons..
    I just find out Fido Dido did cbs cartoons intermissions..
    Where was I ?

Aftermath likes this.