Finished Deadwood, Lost, Mad Men.. What's next?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by alexpop, Jan 2, 2014.

1. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits.... Thread Starter

Really liked Berlin, Alexanderplatz in the eighties. What’s Babylon Berlin like ?

Nomadicarchivist likes this.
  2. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

And don't forget Germany's DARK. Found it to be the single most challenging show I have ever watched (trying to figure out who is who and what is what and all the incredible brain bending time travel complications) yet worth all the considerable effort to stay with it until the very satisfying conclusion.

alexpop likes this.
  3. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Hard for me to pick which one he was better in, but have to say that he did an absolute tour de force acting job in both shows. Guess I would have to go with The Shield on further reflection for the way he became such a tortured and anguished soul and the emotions his face expressed as he went through all that heavy shht in the last 2 (?) seasons.

4. alexpop

WG
    For me it was the unfamiliarity factor. Didn’t know who he was.

5. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Me neither. The Shield was my introduction to him.

alexpop likes this.
  6. alexpop

It was after watching the Shield series ( on dvd a few years ago ) i realised I seen him in Predators (2010) he had a good part playing a criminal awaiting death row, till a Predator snatches him up for sport play/ hunt on an Alien planet. :)

When I started watching loads of tv series this century in 2011( ones I missed a decade earlier)I noticed him in also Sons Of Anarchy didn’t recognised him at first. I watch most tv series posthumously.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  7. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Someone pointed out to me that he plays a transvestite (?) on SoA. I watched some of that, thought he was hilarious.

alexpop likes this.
  8. alexpop

Ha! Yeah I had to check who it was in the part on IMDb. :D

He was the best thing in SoA.

Tarantino recognized his talent by putting him in .. not one, but two of his films.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    slipkid likes this.
  9. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Yup. I was glad to see him in a big "hollywood" (yet worthy) production (as opposed to some kind of paint by numbers nonsense like x-men or captain america etc). Have not seen many movies with him in them at all other than those 2 come to think of it (can only name 1 other).

alexpop likes this.
  10. Achn2b

Achn2b Forum Resident

The Next Karate Kid was on cable the other night while I was piddling around on the computer, and he was one of the guys in the bad guy's paramilitary student group.

slipkid likes this.
  11. alexpop

Must admit I thought El Camino was excellent, recently viewed.

Felt like there was a potential series there.​

slipkid likes this.
  12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I liked it a lot as well, much better than for example Deadwood revisited.

I'd prefer El Camino be the end of that BreakingBad story because I liked how they wrapped it up, satisfying conclusion. If they continued on with Jesse's life in Alaska I would watch it anyway though.

alexpop likes this.
  13. alexpop

Think if there’s a Jessie series in Alaska, as well as bringing in Saul Goodman that would also be great.Just want more!!!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2020
    slipkid likes this.
  14. alexpop

Yeah, Jesse /Aaron Paul looked the same in flashback scenes/ present. Though other actors put on weight Todd/Plemons or looked a little older( but . I had no probs with that).

slipkid likes this.
  15. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Try "The Queen's Gambit" on Netflix. I am uninterested in chess, but this series was riveting.

Amnion, DLD, musicarus and 1 other person like this.
  16. alexpop

Unfortunately I don’t have Netflix it’s usually a year later I see it,when the dvd comes out.

slipkid likes this.
  17. George the Cat

George the Cat Forum Resident

Babylon Berlin is excellent. I have to disagree about German series, Deutschland 83 and 86, The Same Sky and Das Boot are all brilliant in fact I’d say some of the best series of recent years have come out of Germany.

EVOLVIST, slipkid and alexpop like this.
  18. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Babylon Berlin was a great series. I preferred it with subtitles - the dubbing wasn't great.

EVOLVIST and alexpop like this.
  19. alexpop

Latest ...Vikings : season 6 ( part one).

Not bad.

20. alexpop

Latest (pt 2)

The Last Kingdom season 4.

Not seen season 1-3.

Blind buy. Unimpressed so far.

Production values not as high as Vikings.

21. alexpop

Latest ( part 3)

Outlander : Season 5.

Definitely a soap opera now, least favourite season. Production values have dropped, filmed in Scotland, but seeing as its supposed to be set in America like s4, they’ve used Scotland location to look American terrain/ landscape .. ha! Lol .. looks like Scotland.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  22. alexpop

The Outsider(2020)
    HBO.

Horror king Stephen King story. Pretty good.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    DLD likes this.
  23. alexpop

Latest ...
    EL Camino 8/10
    Better Call Saul -Season five 9/10

Got The Wire complete dvd again.
    Doesn’t play well on my non retina MacBook Pro getting jumpy bar thing on top of the screen. Still watchable though. First few episodes I see the preacher from The walking Dead. Also BCS secretary ( put on a bit of weight now).

slipkid likes this.
  24. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I liked El Camino a lot as well. Want to watch it again soon.

Thx for the reminder about Better Call Saul, I need to rewatch S4 to refresh memory then dive into S5.

I just forced myself to watch the (hopefully) last Season of Westworld (S4) and my dog what an absolute load of crap. I assume the showrunner(s) of the first season are no longer with the show and are rolling over in their graves now seeing what happened to it. Just putrid nonsense in every way.

Next up for me is the new season of Fargo, then I will get into It'sallgoodman.

alexpop likes this.
  25. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

If you like soldiers driving for hundreds of miles in a hummer, singing pop songs and making incredible stupid/profound comments until a guy in the backseat orders them to shut up you'll love it.