Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Ah, yes. Space for all the classical music that I want is truly a problem for me too. That's one reason I regularly survey and revisit recordings in my collection, so that I can figure out which to cull so that I have some room for new things. I've already started reducing some off my fatboy cases to those jewel sized, 2 in one cases.

2. George P

Now enjoying this series of interviews with the great Claudio Arrau, which also features performances by the pianist.

TonyACT likes this.
  3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Same with me. I got rid of most of my "fatboy" cases over the past few years and pared them down to the slimmer cases.
    I have at least 600 CDs that are in wallets without the artwork. I had no choice. A lot of my collection is in Banker's Boxes as well.

Paul Dray, George P and TonyACT like this.
  4. Rose River Bear

Spinning-
    [​IMG]

TonyACT likes this.
  5. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I bought the DG complete works by Bernstein box a few months back. Only dipped my toes in so far but it's been enjoyable listening.

6. Rose River Bear

I think I have around four of the separate boxes of LB on DG.
    Is the box you have the set with 60 or so discs?

TonyACT likes this.
  7. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Not the 60-odd CD set; this one with 28 CDs and 3 DVDs:

[​IMG]

8. Rose River Bear

Wow. First time I saw that. Looks fantastic and loaded with great recordings. Some I have on separate CDs.

TonyACT likes this.
  9. George P

[​IMG]

Time for another set of Chopin Nocturnes. These recordings are by Martha Argerich's teacher, Stephan Askenase. The sound is decent, if often dull, mono. The pianist's interpretations are more classical than romantic. He plays these works with beauty, but also very straight. No big dynamic contrasts here and not a lot of rubato. For these reasons, I rarely listen to his Nocturnes.

For the Nocturnes, Arrau remains my favorite, then probably Moravec. After these two, the rest of my favorites are Wasowski, Ciccolini and Freire, probably in that order.

Eigenvector and TonyACT like this.
  10. George P

[​IMG]

As much as I love Beethoven, I never remember to play this work. Remedying that now.

ToniFromMars, dale 88 and TonyACT like this.
  11. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

It has become one of my favorites in recent months; especially the Karajan version with Richter, Rostropovich and Oistrakh.

12. George P

I have that in this box (Big fan of Oistrakh):

[​IMG]

TonyACT likes this.
  13. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

It seems to pop up in a few boxes :)

I have it in an Oistrakh box and in the more recent remastered Karajan edition. I prefer the sound on the latter, though not many on these forums feel the same ;)

14. George P

I recalled this story but Googled it for accuracy:

On disc, it hasn't fared much better, and there's an infamous Herbert von Karajan recording from 1969 with David Oistrakh on violin, Sviatoslav Richter on piano, and cellist Mstislav Rostropovich: it's a nadir of gigantic egos trying to trump each other, a bonfire of the vanities from which Karajan and the Berlin Phil still somehow manage to emerge victorious.

(Richter himself said of it: "It's a dreadful recording and I disown it utterly… Battle lines were drawn up with Karajan and Rostropovich on the one side and Oistrakh and me on the other… Suddenly Karajan decided that everything was fine and that the recording was finished. I demanded an extra take. 'No, no,' he replied, 'we haven't got time, we've still got to do the photographs.' To him, this was more important than the recording. And what a nauseating photograph it is, with him posing artfully and the rest of us grinning like idiots.")

[​IMG]

Beethoven's Triple Concerto is three times the fun

TonyACT likes this.
  15. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Interesting history thanks.

On a different note, the '1001 Classical Recordings You Must Hear Before Kicking The Bucket' book has it as their recommended version.

(The book title may not be entirely accurate).

16. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

And then there is this photo with them all gazing rapturously at the chosen one:

[​IMG]
    Though Oistrakh looks less than convinced.

17. George P

Yes, my favorite guidebook also lists it as a favorite.

TonyACT likes this.
  18. drh

drh Talking Machine

Several years ago, I recall, I came into a recording of the Triple Cto. midstream on the radio. My thought was, "Wow--those soloists are fabulous! But who's that drudge on the podium spoiling the whole thing?"

Needless to say, the recording was this one. :disgust:

Have I ever mentioned what I think about Karajan? In my opinion, he was consistently, unrelievedly aw:ignore:mmph mmph mmph.....

sambamaster, dale 88 and TonyACT like this.
  19. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

One of my favorite conductors - but I'll keep your thoughts in mind before I say it too often :cool:

20. George P

Just enjoyed this video about Arrau and Chopin.

TonyACT likes this.
  21. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I enjoyed this disc today.
    Janine Jansen
    Beethoven: Violin Concerto
    Britten: Violin Concerto
    Deutsche KammerPhilharmonie Bremen (Beethoven)
    London Symphony Orchestra (Britten)
    Paavo Jarvi
    Decca, 2009
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector and TonyACT like this.
  22. Rose River Bear

Spinning-
    [​IMG]

dale 88 and TonyACT like this.
  23. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Just arrived in the mail :), 7 CDs:

[​IMG]

24. drh

drh Talking Machine

:cheers:

TonyACT likes this.
  25. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

I have this box as well. It’s one of my favorites! Enjoy it!

TonyACT likes this.