Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality, artwork, etc.: "All Alone" - 1962

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MLutthans, Nov 10, 2014.

1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

I have a mono pressing of Moonlight. It's a great album!

McLover and teag like this.
  2. rangerjohn

rangerjohn Forum Resident

The MOST underrated LP of FS's entire career! Just gorgeous. Riddle is majestic.

3. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

4. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

It's pretty common for French records of this era to have this text and it means it is mono & stereo compatible. Not sure if it means this particular record is actually stereo or mono though. French record experts out there?

McLover and roda12 like this.
  5. AJH

AJH Senior Member

It quotes the US catalog number for the album- FS 1018. Most likely it is a stereo album and all they are saying is that, even though it is a stereo album, it could be played on mono equipment. The album probably was pressed when record companies were trying to stop maintaining both individual mono and stereo inventories. Personally, I think this stereo album wouldn't sound too good when played on a lot of the older consumer grade mono equipment of that period, but it certainly could have been played (it probably would have worn-out fairly fast too if played with many of the older non audiophile mono cartridges available when that record appears to have been pressed).

McLover, roda12, rangerjohn and 2 others like this.
  6. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

You will love it in mono. The mono is what made me love this album and it's my preferred way of hearing it.

AaronW and CBackley like this.
  7. Pieter Kozak

Pieter Kozak Well-Known Member

Just listening to Sinatra's "All Alone" album. A wonderful collection of songs, not the best sounding album. What the general view of the album here?

CBackley likes this.
  8. CBackley

A general view on this website? Uh oh...

9. CBackley

I’m giving my original mono pressing of All Alone a spin right now. I really enjoy this mix. The bass sounds great , and I find the balance of the vocals and the orchestra nearly perfect. I hear a bit too much echo (?) on the vocals at a few points, but I haven’t done a close listen to the stereo mix in a while so perhaps this is the same across both.

rangerjohn and AaronW like this.
  10. SBC

SBC Forum Resident

I could not agree more. The mono version is what made me love this album. I don't know why I like it better than the stereo mix, but I do.

11. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

One of my favorite Sinatra albums, just the concept alone is so different for that era. It is probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite Jenkins
    arranged, LP.

rangerjohn and roda12 like this.
  12. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Yep, ALL ALONE is one of the most unique Sinatra albums. Love it so much

rangerjohn likes this.
  13. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Love the old-fashioned almost 1910's like feel of it. It's so beautiful.
    Comes to mind that most of my all-time favorite Sinatra recordings are in 3/4 time.
    I'll follow my secret heart, Wait till you see her, Weep they will, I'm not afraid, etc.

rangerjohn likes this.
  14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff Thread Starter

Enough about the recording quality!
    :laugh:

McLover, Simon A, wvk3 and 3 others like this.
  15. MLutthans

Seems to be a lot of sealed, official CDs of this one on Ebay right now for cheap, in the ballpark of $12 including shipping from Europe. Recently out of print or something, maybe? (There has only ever been one mastering of this title. It never got the EOTC treatment.)

rangerjohn likes this.
  16. rangerjohn

A great opportunity for those of you who are not familiar with this wonderful album!

17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

These are the 2011 rebranded UMG 11-track reissues. They are missing the “Come Waltz with Me” bonus track that appeared on the original (1992) Reprise CD. Don’t believe the “remastered reissue” hype in the eBay listings. It is the identical digital mastering as the long-OOP Reprise CD, with the extra track removed. Note that only 12 Reprise CDs ever got the EOTC treatment.

Simon A, MLutthans and rangerjohn like this.
  18. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Played All Alone UK MONO LP thought it was a Capitol album at first with the dreamy Gordon Jenkins strings. How is this album regarded with fans of his Reprise albums ?

19. rangerjohn

Part of the golden era of Reprise. The performances of the Irving Berlin songs on this album are, IMHO, definitive.

AaronW and CBackley like this.
  20. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Why did the original title Come Waltz With Me idea get nixed, too similar to Capitol trademark album titles ?

21. rangerjohn

No, someone else recorded it first.

22. rangerjohn

"Meno male," as the Italians say.....

23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Steve Lawrence. But the song (and title) was discarded by Sinatra because it really didn’t fit the mood of the rest of the album—too upbeat.

Shawn and CBackley like this.
  24. MLutthans

(Pointlessly-closed thread reopened.)

Looks like another test pressing has turned up on Ebay:

s-l1600-604.jpg AllAlone1.jpg s-l1600-601.jpg

MMM, teag, paulmock and 5 others like this.
  25. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

A few years back I finally found a NM original A-1/B-1 stereo copy of All Alone (way harder to find than the mono) but I still kinda want that! At least now I know what's hitting the turntable next!

MLutthans and paulmock like this.