SH Spotlight FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours, heard it 1000 times, still love it! Our WB 45 & 33 1/3 RPM vinyl coming now!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 25, 2007.

1. StylinLP

StylinLP New Member

Hey Grant. Been a vinyl audiophyle for 7 years now. Post a lot on AudioAsylum and AVSforums. I just joined this one based on a recommendation. ANd I thought AA was fast! These threads are BUSY.!

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

You guys are making it very hard for me to not invest in a decent LP rig :sigh: ;)

3. StylinLP

StylinLP New Member

Have you heard the story of the guy with loads of money and no sense? :)

This guy had $100k worth of equipment and upgrades over the years. He coudn't get it to sound right. Tried everything from expensive cables, DAC's, CD players, amps etc etc..
    Then one day he took someones advice and bought himself a turntable. Wow, that's what he was missing! revulation. He lived happily ever after. :)

*you know what happened to the man that got everything he ever wanted? He lived happliy ever after*

4. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

I don't have a KP cut, but a "mastered by Capitol" pressing, which I pulled out and cleaned last night because I wanted to get myself ready to compare with this new version. It's much better than I expected it to be, but it sounds a bit "veiled" as they say, not open. I suspect the new pressing will not have that problem. :)

Jason

5. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Mine is a KP cut, but at the upper range of the many cuts at F115/F62, I'm sure I'm far from the ideal. Still, I like what I got but it will be great to hear how started out.

6. Shakey

Shakey New Member

I am definetly going to get this one.
    I saw them on their first tour through the Midwest, ISU, before hearing this album. In fact I was not expecting any change in the line-up.
    What a surprise. Looking forward to hearing it right, without any ditzing.

7. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I used to have the German 180 gram from 1997. I'm sure the master tape did not go to Germany for this cut. As Steve pointed out maybe they used a digital source or maybe the German WEA dub tape they had used to make the original target CD. The 1997 German LP didn't sound too bad, although the original US (one of the many KP cuts) and original German LPs sound better.

8. blitzableiter

blitzableiter Member

I have the Bill Inglot mastered Rhino disc... it sounds leaps and bounds better then any other cd... wonder what source they used?!

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

For Inglot, it may have been the "right" decision to choose the tapes that Ken marked as "MASTER" since that's the way they wanted it to sound.

I hope no one used the digital master that has the end of "Second Hand News" (Strummer) looped at the end, 1-second of "Dreams" missing at the end and the wrong mix of "Gold Dust Woman" used. Most everyone BOUGHT that CD and used it for most everything including making automated radio libraries and the WB CD marked RE-1. You can't do much worse than use the CD version that is completely WRONG. (When you reach for Rumors, the single disc 4-digit catalog number, the disc should be RE-1).

Big and bizarre example of revisionism. Botchery that never got truly corrected in the market unless you bought the older Cds or the Inglot remaster double.

10. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

So the current remaster (the 2CD set) has digital reverb applied to it?

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Ken Perry is the only person who ever cut RUMOURS on an LP. If it says "Mastered By Capitol" on a WB/Reprise LP what would be your first clue?:)

12. bobrex

bobrex Active Member

Is it safe to assume that this is going to be superior to the Nautilus cut?

13. Larpy

Larpy Active Member

Not true. Bob Ludwig cut Rumors in the early '80s. I have a "tan" WB label version with "RL" in the dead wax that sounds excellent.

14. Steve Hoffman

Really? Naughty. There was an agreement. Maybe it ended in the 80's. I wonder what Bob used for a tape? The true masters stayed with Ken until not that long ago.

15. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

I just thought the same thing. I got Rumours when it came out in early 77 and saw the Mac on the summer tour that followed. Can't wait to hear your version. It will be a real treat!

16. Solaris

Well okey dokey then! I stand corrected. :righton:

Just dint see a KP in the dead wax and wasn't aware he was the only one who cut the 70s LPs. This is a Burbank "trees" label, so I guess it's safe to say this is before the Ludwig, so I've got a KP cut, eh? Sweet.

Jason

17. Solaris

I've been lucky in this regard. The versions I have are LP, original CD and the double set. Never encountered these anomalies. Anyone wanna take the DVD-A copy off my hands? I bought it a few years ago without realizing it wouldn't play on a DVD-V player. Heh, oops. I'm slightly smarter about these things now.

Jason

18. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

But, my Inglot 2-disc remaster still has the botched repeated guitar solo at the end of "Second Hand News", and the longer remixed end to "Gold Dust Woman". Are you saying that it shouldn't have had that?

I've also got the original W. German target and find it very similar to the LP in overall tone. I'd give a slight edge to the old CD with a bit more clarity on my system, but that could be the old needle I'm still using. Still, the LP sounds good on it's own - the whack of the snare hits on "Don't Stop" still gets me every time (I don't care how much that song was overplayed on the radio all these years - when I play it, I love it). I also like to use the song "Never Going Back Again" to compare because of the clear acoustic guitar recording. The Inglot remaster sounds like a smiley-face eq was applied adding an unnatural sound to that acoustic guitar (and to pretty much everything else).

Checking out my 3 versions of this album (late pressing LP, W.G. target CD, Inglot CD), I noticed something that I never noticed before about "Gold Dust Woman" While the Inglot CD uses the "newer" "GDW", it still fades in and fades out. I always heard that the RE-1 CD does a cold start to that track. Listening to the LP, if you really crank it up, you can hear the first snare hit, then the kick drum/rim shot (or whatever Mick is hitting) beat from then on as it fades the rest of the way up. In other words, the beat doesn't fade-up from total silence. But the original CD does. You can't hear that first snare hit, only the regular beat fading in after that. The same with Inglot's remaster - he also misses that first hit. Also, while the original CD may miss that first hit (maybe from doing that between-track black-out during that original mastering to take out the between-track hiss), it does take the fade-out a bit longer and you hear more of that guitar at the end, while the LP fades out a few seconds sooner. What I don't know, and maybe Steve does know now, is... was the fade out of "GDW"on the master tape like that, or did Ken Perry manually fade the song every time he did a new LP mastering leaving the possibility of a slightly different actual fade location for every cutting?

19. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

I have original late 77 LP and DVD-A in my car....I will get this one! Kool!!!

20. Steve Hoffman

There is no fade up on the master tapes. Ken did a manual fade in each time he cut a side two. No two will be alike. Sometimes he didn't do the fade in at all. Ken never used a dub tape to cut the record. There are many EQ dubs (EQ Cutting Masters) that have the fade up of the last song. Also many of them do NOT. Some have the fake-out extra guitar lick at the end of SECOND HAND NEWS, some do not. Some have the slightly longer guitar part in NEVER GOING BACK and some do not. Some have the incorrect (NON SCREAMING) end of GOLD DUST WOMAN, some do not.

And that's just the EQ dubs. The masters are equally wacky! Little edit pieces all over the place. That's why listening the original LP is crucial to me. Too many variants over the years.

21. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

Very interesting. This is the kind if information I like to know about - just... because :).

Can you tell us if you did, or didn't do, the fade-in?

Or, will you make us wait until the album is released?

22. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

This is a little OT but does anyone know why there are so few bonus tracks on the s/t albm relative to Rumours? Rumours has an entire disc of early mixes and alternates while s/t just has the 45 mixes. What gives?

23. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Wow! :eek: What a history!!

Is yours a 3 LP set?

Kidding.... but I'd still buy it!!

24. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

I know this sounds ridiculous but I wish there was a way to "squeeze" in "Silver Springs".

This album was so tight they left Silver Springs on 7" 45 and 12" 45, stereo/mono(promo only).

25. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

Okay, I can't wait for this one, Steve!

One of those albums that I have in just about every format. Vinyl, 8-track, 2 different cassette versions (one a double-play version with the Fleetwood Mac album on the oppisite side), CD, DVD-A, and remastered CD edition.

You can bet I'll be adding this to the collection.
    Now I really, REALLY need a good vinyl rig...