SH Spotlight FLEETWOOD MAC Rumours, heard it 1000 times, still love it! Our WB 45 & 33 1/3 RPM vinyl coming now!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Apr 25, 2007.

1. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

:idea: How about asking WB/Reprise to have SH and KG do a 12 inch-180 gram-45 RPM mono/stereo re-issue of Silver Springs and leave Rumours the way it's meant to be. :)

2. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

According to Mick Fleetwood, "Silver Springs" was meant to be on Rumours. Fitting it on to the vinyl was the only major set-back.

3. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Most of those "early mixes and alternates" are just the actual takes minus some of the instrumentation, etc.

For the earlier album they just recorded it like anyone would. You get the songs, multi-track them and release them. Not much soul searching, fiddling, etc. That came later with them.

4. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

The 12 inch vinyl 33 RPM format still has the same limitations it had in 1977. IOW, adding Silver Springs would have a detrimental effect on the sound. So, if it was meant to be be there in 1977 something else would have been deleted. The band made the decision for Silver Springs to be a B-side and not in the album. I have no problem for this track to be a bonus on any CD. In fact it should have been there in the WG target. But trying to squeeze it into the LP is just wrong. IMHO.

5. luckyman

luckyman Forum Resident

Now that we know everyone is foaming at the mouth for this, the question still remains. WHEN!:winkgrin:

6. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I see, thanks. Aren't most of those alt mixes on the reissue vintage 1977 mixes? It was really strange experience hearing all those bonus tracks with the missing instrumentation. I'm glad they released them but I won't be going to back to them that often. The demos were really neat though as was the alt Oh, Daddy mix..

7. David R. Modny

David R. Modny Гордий українець-американець

I'm really looking forward to this LP as well. Despite its nice extras, the 2-CD remaster gives me a headache...lol. It's a bit too aggressive for my tastes.

8. Chris M

I couldn't find the long thread that discussed the remasters. Was there a general consensus? I find it a little on the bright side but not offensively so. That said I have nothing to compare it to.

9. David R. Modny

Consensus?...on this board?...lol! :)

10. Chris M

Well, usually after Steve posts his thoughts we have a consesus :laugh:

On a different note what is the best place to get Walter Egan's Magnet And Steel?

11. David R. Modny

:laugh:

12. Greatest Hits

Greatest Hits Just Another Compilation

I never said it should go on the vinyl. I just pointed out that adding it to the album was intended, but, as you said, didn't happen because of the "particulars" of vinyl.

13. This album came out when I was in my late teens. I loved it then. I love it now; and am anxiously awaiting its release.

14. PreciousRicky

PreciousRicky Forum Resident

My head is spinning reading about the history of this wonderful album. Interesting stuff. Will it be included in the liner notes? I'll go ahead and pre-order.

15. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

A few question for Steve about the masters:

On my LP (from my dad, bought in 1977), the end of second Hand News has the "yeah yeah yeah" and Lindsey's guitar bit which quickly fades out. All cd's (that I know of) have this but before the fade there's an edit that repeats this part exactly and then fades. What is is REALLY on the master?

On Gold Dust Woman, on my copy it fades in. On some cd's it starts cold and others it fades in? How is really supposed to be?

Are there other minor differences on pressings of the album?

16. Steve Hoffman

The SECOND HANDS NEWS version on the original album does not have the fake repeat extension on it, neither does our version.

GOLD DUST WOMAN, the fade in is a toss up. The actual song starts cold but is faded up on SOME of the original lacquers but not all. Gotta buy our version to see what we did. :)

17. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

pool_of_tears, the original W. German pressed target CD does not have the fake repeated extension.

You can read about the different CD pressings in the following thread, although it focuses mainly on the various W.German vs. Japanese targets...

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=79404

Basically, a "secrete remaster" with the changes came out about '86 or so, just after all WEA labeled CDs changed the graphics on the CD face from the "target" design to the very plain black lettering only look (although they might use a different color once in a while such as on Fleetwood Mac's "Tango in the Night" which used green lettering). The CDs with the fake extension on "SHN" (among other changes) would have an "RE-1" in the matrix code along the inner ring.

18. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

I asked this earlier, but no one answered so I'll ask again.

My Inglot 2-disc remaster has the same stuff that Sckott is saying shouldn't be there :confused: - unless I'm reading that wrong.

I have the looped fake extension of "Second Hand News". I have the different ending of "Gold Dust Woman" (louder and longer screams, no sound of glass breaking). I have "Silver Springs", the recreated palm-tree label, and the second disc, so this is the Inglot remaster.

So, are there two versions of Inglot's remaster? I'm confused.

Either way, I'm glad to hear that Steve used the "right" master tape.:agree:

19. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

There was a "secret" remaster done sometime in the late 80's or early 90's. That's the single disc version that you see in stores today. It has the "cold-start" Gold Dust Woman. I think it's been said that this version was done by Inglot, though there is no credit on the CD booklet. It has a very painful top end, especially the hi-hat intro to "You Make Loving Fun".

The deluxe 2-CD remaster was done by Inglot - it restored the "fade-up" version of "Gold Dust Woman" and added "Silver Springs" as a bonus track, plus a whole disc of unreleased material. There is only one version of this remaster. I think it sounds much better than that secret remaster disc, though I prefer my early Sanyo pressing.

20. Mister Kite

Mister Kite Uncle Obscure

At the time, isn't this the album responsible for causing the proliferation of Yamaha NS-10M speakers in recording studios across the country?

21. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

I know about the late 80s secret remaster (I comment on it in the post above my last post - I misspelled "secret" too, but too late to edit). I don't have that disc. I only have the original W. German target and the '04 2-disc remaster.

I'm asking strictly about Sckott's suggestion that the 2-disc remaster should be the same (other than the addition of "Silver Springs") as the original issue CD. That's all I want to know without taking this thread too far off topic.

22. Steve Hoffman

The "SECRET" remaster was done by Ken Perry at K-Disc and was done in response to consumer bitching (mainly in the ICE Newsletter) that the original CD was too soft (even though the original "Target" CD is actually brighter than the actual master tapes which are very, very mellow sounding). So, Ken went in and added a bunch of top end rendering it able to stun insects at 20 paces. GOLD DUST WOMAN starts cold, a conscious decision on Ken's part or perhaps the Mac people. It's not the WRONG version, it's the correct version.

The "fade up" on Gold Dust Woman on Mr. Inglot's version was also a conscious decision to be authentic to (some) of the original 1970's versions.

Both versions are valid.

The "wrong" version of GOLD DUST WOMAN had the ending ride-out without the screaming effects. It's been used on some LP cuttings (in other countries) and is totally the INCORRECT version.

23. JoelDF

JoelDF Senior Member

:biglaugh:

Okay, that made my day.

24. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Dont know if this has been covered or not.....I'm sorry if so....

What are the labels looking like? are they going to be repros of the original labels, or are they just going with some kind of new WB/Rhino stock label?

25. Steve Hoffman

When we get our copies, we'll know!