Degritter Users

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by WntrMute2, Jun 30, 2019.

1. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Yes, they are a class act. I had trouble updating my firmware (mine is one of the earlier units). I had updated it once before, but for some reason it would not update to the new one. They overnighted me an SD card with an update software for me to try and voila, it updated. If that had not worked, they would have shipped me a replacement unit. I have no doubt that if for some reason my Degritter fails to function, they will replace it. Taniel and his team are wonderful!

Andrea_Bellucci likes this.
  2. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Distilled water to just above max (which seems to be Degritter's advice now) and then I'm adding 6 drops to a caddy. Then I keep an eye on cleaning over time... if the sheeting effect starts to fail, ie holes appear in the fluid on the record, I add another couple of drops, which seems to work. There's always a little foam when the cleaning starts, but after a revolution it's gone. However, once the foaming starts to remain I then change the caddy water and start over. Seems to be working well for now.

RC2257, Matoupaschat and neubian like this.
  3. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I'm pretty convinced at this point that any remaining clicks/pops after a Degritter clean are permanent on the record. No amount of recleans/alternate approaches that I've tried has removed such noise from the record. However, the Sweetvinyl SugarCube does a tremendous job on those. The combination of the two is magical :)

Toneboner likes this.
  4. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

Thank you for the details!

Do you have an estimate of how many cleanings before changing the water?

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  5. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

Were you getting a totally unbroken sheet with the degritter fluid? I feel like it’s never perfect on mine.

If so how much of the supplied fluid were you using?

I do have some old tergikleen that is expired. I read that it actually stays good for much longer. Maybe I’ll try one tank with 6 drops.

6. Zurg

Zurg Well-Known Member

thx a lot man, I wonder if you got tergikleen from that one and only seller from us? and how long did it take to arrive? planning to order some tomorrow i hope.

7. Toneboner

Toneboner Forum Resident

I hope your new one does not leak. I bought mine about a month ago, assuming that it is the "new model", hopefully there are no issues.

8. Toneboner

Toneboner Forum Resident

On a different note, are you guys finding that some LPs are just noisy and you just gotta accept them for what they are? The Degritter has been great and has quieted a lot of my vintage LPs like DB Alladin Sane, Diamond Dogs. But, I can't seem to get rid of the surface noise on my Joy Division 'Closer" 1st UK pressing. I've cleaned it twice on "heavy" with the Degritter fluid including a separate rinse, but still got a significant amount of surface noise. Visually, it looks fantastic, but more importantly, on the quieter tracks and in between tracks, still hearing pops and cracks. Wondering if the Tergilkeen which folks have been talking about could make a difference...

wgdrumsticks likes this.
  9. Toneboner

Toneboner Forum Resident

I’ll have to look into the SugarCube...

10. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

You could try a detergent or enzymatic clean on a VPI or an IPA wipe down. Some records are just noisy though. That is one where you would expect the pressing to be good.

Toneboner likes this.
  11. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

These days I probably change water every 20-30 records. If my stores of distilled water are running low I'll try to push it a bit further! :) If my paranoia over dirty water it particularly high then I change it earlier. But, generally, every 20-30 records.

robertawillisjr and neubian like this.
  12. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Yes. Using 1mm of their fluid in a caddy. Once the sheeting starts to fail I'd add another 0.5ml.

13. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I used two different sources on Ebay from US sellers - took a couple of weeks to arrive, once shipped.

14. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Some LPs are just noisy. I have some that if you visually grade them are MINT, but if you play grade them it's a different story :( I have a few of those put aside and every time I find a different way to clean them I give it a go, but nope - never makes a difference - one pass through the Degritter is still enough to get it as good as it gets. The records are just bad.

I've been searching for a quiet version of Pink Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason for some time now and have been through (too) *many* UK 1st presses, promos etc - ALL noisy. Only way to get a non-noisy version was to buy a later (or non-UK) pressing. Which, to me suggests the original pressing is simply faulty for whatever reason and it's time to stop looking. The problem there, however, is that the sound quality of the later pressings I've tried isn't as good as those UK first presses (ignoring the clicks/pops). All part of the "fun" of being into vinyl...

RC2257, Toneboner and timmikid like this.
  15. wgdrumsticks

wgdrumsticks Forum Resident

yes some record just aren’t pressed as well.

I have a UK first reissue of Closer which sounds perfect no noise issues.

Is yours the one that is dark red/transparent when held up to light?

Toneboner likes this.
  16. Zurg

Zurg Well-Known Member

So, I bought 25lt jerry can of distilled water today, and my bottle of ilfotol has arrived, I watched paul rigby's video on surfactant, and he suggested to use ilfotol IF you dont have tergikleen tergitol. So i diluted ilfotol in distilled today with ilfotol guidelines and i noticed it foams a lot, and doesnt dry as well as degritter own cleaning solution, so i emptied the water and put a new batch with about 2ml instead of 5ml per litre of water. Degritter uses just over 1 litre of water. Any suggestions on what ratio is best with ilfotol ??? thx

17. Zurg

Zurg Well-Known Member

Hows japanese press of momentary sounds you know ?? I was thinking to get one, but cost an arm and a leg.

18. Toneboner

Toneboner Forum Resident

no, mine is the black vinyl, not the translucent one.

wgdrumsticks likes this.
  19. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

I was disappointed by my Japanese press - it sounds clean but overall sound quality is not as good as UK - it lacks the dynamics and openness of the UK first press.

20. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

It's really difficult, if not impossible, to not get foam with Ilfotol. About 0.5ml per caddy is the max you can use, and even then it foams after a couple of washes. I'd stick with Degritter's fluid until you can source TergiKleen. But even that foams a little... If you don't want any foam, the Degritter fluid is the simple solution.

21. Zurg

Zurg Well-Known Member

I'm surprised by that, I think i own first uk press, i need to give it a good clean and have a listen myself.

22. Zurg

Zurg Well-Known Member

I'm experimenting myself with ilfotol, i have changed water 3 times now, what works best for me is filling with water and adding 20-25 drops of ilfotol to the caddy, that foams a little but not as much as before, works fine so far, btw I developed a little leak on the right side of degritter underneath the feet, especially during drain function. I'm wondering if my caddy is not connected properly. Has anyone experienced that before?? its a little puddle after a few records cleaned size of a 20p coin.

23. Squiggsy68

Squiggsy68 Forum Resident

Is the filter on that side screwed in properly? The only time I ever get any leakage (am around 500 cleans in with mine) is when you expect it i.e. when taking the filter out to clean or replace it, when a small amount of liquid comes out at the same time. I just have a small cloth or tissue down there ready to soak it up.

r.Din likes this.
  24. r.Din

r.Din Seeker of Truth

Shouldn't be leaking. As Squiggsy says, check the filter is installed correctly (check the O-ring is present and that it's screwed in fully). I don't think it's possible to get it wrong with the caddy - you either have it in the correct position or you don't and it's obvious either way.

Squiggsy68 likes this.
  25. Zurg

Zurg Well-Known Member

Thank you guys, I checked everything. The leak has stopped, it was either filter, probably dirty and not sealed properly or caddy, I emptied it and checked valve on it, moved about refilled the water and installed again, all stopped. Not had any issues first 50 records until it was time to change water.

r.Din and Squiggsy68 like this.