The Technics SL-1200 GAE/G/GR general questions thread

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Halloween_Jack, Aug 1, 2018.

1. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Doesn't the Denon 103 like a lot of weight on the arm? I could see it if the cart calls for it, but there are probably some pitfalls to just piling on the weight,...IDK.

2. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

That's good to know about the silver HS.
    That's a nice scale, I used a fancy kitchen scale as I haven't gotten around to trying my cheap digital VTF scale to weigh a HS yet.
    My thinking is that my VTF scale may not be good for much above 5g, but I'm not sure.
    I got the same numbers on the kitchen scale that you did, but it rounded off the 7.8 to 8 on the Technics and rounded off the ADS at 7 - I could tell it was rounding up or down by the way it acted, maybe there is a way to use the kitchen scale better to get more detailed numbers.

3. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Well... if the Denon 103 a very low compliance, then it would benefit from it, but that would be an exception so I doubt that.
    Most modern cartridges are rather high compliance, for a medium weight tonearm.

Yes, you can add known weights (if you have those) until it goes up one digit, that way you know how far off it was.
    But that's a very cumbersome operation, you might as well get a different scale.

4. mackat

mackat Turntable hoar-...um, collector

Given that the AV-101s is supposed to weigh 16-18g, I wouldn’t recommend it for use with the high compliance OC9 (the cartridge in the picture). For a low compliance cartridge like a DL-103, it would probably work very well.

I used to have a different model Orsonic headshell, though I wasn’t really interested in it at the time. Wish I had kept it!

5. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

Anadialog is the YouTube I am talking about. He has done an entire video on head shell matching that I have yet watched

Oelewapper likes this.
  6. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

It seems the Yamamoto HS-4 (carbon fiber, 10g) is the one head shell that most (on various forums, etc) agree is ideal for the 1200 series tables. Many also talk about the Zupreme as well.

7. Oelewapper

Oelewapper Plays vinyl instead of installing it on the floor.

Nice, I've been following him for about two years now.
    Great channel.
    Very audiophile oriented, so I don't agree on everything he says, but overall reliable information - he clearly takes his time to research the topics.

DaleClark likes this.
  8. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

Maybe it's the isolation aspect that makes it functional, the whole concept of Origin Live's shim is to isolate the cart from the arm, they even have little washers made out of the same material to help isolate the cart.
    A cart still has to move the mass of the arm though, regardless of vtf settings and for me that's some deep math to figure out, so I just don't go there...

9. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

The isolation is the main reason the Youtuber chose it.

10. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

Ah fair enough, well we all do these regretable things!
    I suppose it's a little frowned upon but 7hz resonance haven't given me any issues, that was why I was asking.

11. Mike70

Mike70 Forum Resident

I really like the Yamamoto hs-3 wood headshell with 8 grams ... but i don't know if wood have a good sinergy with an aluminum tonearm.

Another brand with light headshell is Project, they have 3 models: aluminum, wood and carbon fiber.

12. RPM

RPM Forum Resident

Anyone knows of a headshell with hole(s) on the back side that enters the tonearm? I've seen one but I think it was diy and can't find it now. The contact pins were removed (or hole was drilled?) with the idea of running wires from the cart to the preamp, avoiding connections in between. (Same on the tonearm contact side.)

13. DaleClark

DaleClark Forum Resident

14. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

Hey so my dad just unboxed his TT and one of the feet fell off. He told me the little red pad came off the other red pad. Can he glue it back on? The red part is rubber and the part it sits on is metal I believe. Anyone know anything to glue rubber to metal?

15. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

What TT are you talking about here? Pics? 1200 feet are usually screwed into the plinth.

16. Twinsfan007

1200GR. There is a red rubber piece that is glued onto a red metal piece on the foot. I don't believe it's suppose to come apart.

17. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

I don't have a GR but I think if the red rubber part fell out, you can probably pop it back in. If not, ask your dealer to request a new foot from Technics.

[​IMG]

patient_ot and Twinsfan007 like this.
  18. Twinsfan007

That is what happened i believe. The metal part is still screwed into the actual turntable

19. Robert Godridge

One of the feet on mine is quite loose and the position of this foot seems to really effect feedback. I have it set up so there's no feedback even with my sub up full playing a runout groove but the foot has to be cranked far left to achieve this. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they're not the most secure thing in the world, saying that the weight of the turntable means when they're on a surface they won't move unless you move them deliberately. Anyone else have a gr with one foot more easily moveable than the others?

20. highqualityrecords

highqualityrecords Well-Known Member

Not a GR, but recently returned a MK7 with varying issues and while I had time to compare the two units, one of the sets of feet were much more springy and had travel. I kept the feet that were more firm, as it seemed to help with feedback.

21. Robert Godridge

I thought, perhaps because mine are this way, that the gr's feet are very adjustable which I thought, perhaps mistakenly, was a feature. When they are perfectly centred the subsonic feedback is a real issue, however adjustment all but eliminates it.

22. highqualityrecords

highqualityrecords Well-Known Member

Thats unfortunate given that the GRs are heavier than the MK2s.

23. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

So this coupon code gets applied at the very end and it works? I dislike checkouts that don't allow adding the code first before doing the CC info. I like to see the code applied first!

24. Davey

Davey NP: Brian Eno ~ Ambient 4: On Land (1982 LP)

Well, you apply the code and see the total before you place the order, but may not be to your satisfaction since you've entered your payment info by then :)

[​IMG]

Dignan2000 and patient_ot like this.
  25. Claude M

Claude M Forum Resident

Davey, thanks bro!