Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Just got an email update from Marston Records that I thought I would share here:

Through these challenging times across the globe, we at Marston Records strive to bring a little bit of joy to all of our supporters and listeners worldwide. We expect that our next piano release, The Complete Josef Lhevinne, will hopefully do just this when it ships in early December. Not unlike a star whose light went out too soon, the public has created a mythos based on a small output from this legendary pianist, and has clamored for more examples of his playing to further justify his reputation. The wait is now over.

Josef Lhevinne studied at the Moscow Conservatory under Vasily Safonov, made his public debut at fourteen in a performance conducted by Anton Rubinstein, and graduated top of a class that included both Sergei Rachmaninoff and Alexander Scriabin. Lhevinne is often included as one of the greatest golden-era pianists, and yet, his recorded legacy is approximately fifty minutes of repertoire for Pathé and Victor, albeit treasured and admired.

In addition to the Pathé and Victor recordings, this release includes a 1943 New York broadcast of Brahms’s Op. 25 Piano Quartet with Lhevinne and members of the Perolé String Quartet, which is the cornerstone of this set. Also included will be several studio broadcasts from the 1930s. Among these broadcasts will be the second and third movements of Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto No. 1 from an NBC studio broadcast of 1933, which has been in the hands of collectors for many years. However, we now have a nearly complete performance of this work: Josef Lhevinne featured in this concerto during a Worcester Festival concert in 1936 that gives us a sense of Lhevinne’s unique brilliance. This set is a must for anyone collecting recordings of pianists of the golden age. If you are an All-Preferred or Piano-Preferred Customer, or have placed an advance order, you will receive this automatically. Read more about this and order here:

The Complete Josef Lhevinne
    53023-2 (3 CDs) | $54 ($36 for Preferred Customer)

[​IMG][​IMG]

Accompanying this release will be a free piano Lagniappe for our All-Preferred and Piano-Preferred customers, Rosina Lhevinne: Piano Duet and Chamber Performances. A child prodigy, she married Josef Lhevinne in 1898 and he went on to a great international career as a virtuoso pianist. Once when someone heard her and exclaimed that she was a better pianist than her husband, she was horrified and vowed from that moment on never to play solo again. She performed only with him as his duo-piano partner until his death in 1944. Both had been teachers in New York at the precursor to the Juilliard School, and in the autumn and winter of her life she had a great career as an educator, but she was much less active as a soloist and her recorded legacy is small—a pity that especially comes to mind when hearing some of her solo work, such as the beginning of the second movement of the Mendelssohn Trio.

The 3-CD set of Josef Lhevinne is priced at $54, with Preferred Customers enjoying a discounted price of $36 and the addition of the Rosina Lhevinne Lagniappe. If you have been waiting to enroll as a preferred customer, take advantage of this tremendous opportunity and sign up today to receive both of these sets when they become available as supplies are limited. If you are an existing Preferred Customer or have pre-ordered this release and your address or credit card number has changed, please contact our office right away to avoid any delay in getting these in the mail to you.

With warmest regards,

Ward and Scott
    Marston Records

Wes H and dale 88 like this.
  2. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Paul Paray, conductor
    Detroit Symphony Orchestra
    Schumann: Symphony No. 1; Manfred Overture
    Schumann: Symphony No. 2
    Mercury, 1953, 1955

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ToniFromMars, layman, Rushton and 2 others like this.
  3. drh

drh Talking Machine

Musing on what current conditions have done to the ability of ensembles to perform together, I had a peculiar thought this morning. Although most of the literature is more or less off limits for the duration, string quartets are fortunate enough to have one work playable even during the pandemic: Karlheinz Stockhausen's Helicopter Quartet, which isolates each player in a separate aircraft. I foresee a coming season consisting entirely of 30 quartet concerts, each with a program solely of the Helicopter Quartet.

OK, I guess I'm losing it!

Wes H, dale 88 and George P like this.
  4. George P

Know who else seems to be losing it? During Covid, apparently Daniel Barenboim has recorded yet another complete set of Beethoven sonata as I think this is 4th or 5th time through!!

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well, I guess if he keeps at it long enough eventually he'll get some of them right. If at first you don't succeed, and all that....

:whistle: :hide:

dale 88 and George P like this.
  6. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Oh no! More(?) black helicopters.

drh likes this.
  7. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this lovely CD.

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

In the course of "breaking in" some speakers I'm to review, tonight I'm revisiting the Brahms 3d Pno. Sta. played by an 87-year-old Earl Wild on Ivory Classics. I'd rank neither pianist nor work as favorites in general, but this particular recording definitely is one. For whatever reason, the combination really "clicks" for me. Oddly enough, considering Wild's reputation as a flashy technician, what I find most impressive is the beautiful quiet he finds in the second mvt., with the tone shading down to a bare wisp at times. I know that sort of playing is deceptive, taking control far beyond what's needed for more demonstrative virtuoso displays, but still--not what usually first comes to mind when I think of Wild. One of those rare instances in which I think a relatively modern recording squarely trumps those of older generations. (Curiously, the other that springs immediately to mind is also music of Brahms: the Dmitri Sitkovetzky/Bella Davidovich disc of the vln. stas. on Novalis).

I can't seem to find an image that will link here, but suffice it to say the disc is available from the Ivory Classics website for much less than Amazon is asking.

Wes H and George P like this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

Shamelessly quoting myself and tooting my own horn, I can report that TNT-Audio just published my review of the series. If you're interested, it's here: [Review] Forest of Piano, Netflix music anime series

10. George P

Congrats, David! Excellent review, thanks for posting it! :wave:

I didn't know that about Clara Haskil, impressive!

drh likes this.
  11. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thanks! To be honest, until a couple of weeks ago the only thing I knew about Clara Haskil, other than that she played the piano, was that she was photographed with cats, and I stumbled across that article about her when I was looking for one of those pictures to post in another thread here on the forums. I blush to say I haven't paid her much attention, but I do have a few of her recordings.

I suppose I really should sit down some evening soon and have a HaskilFest, just to get a feel for how she played. Out of what I have, any personalized recommendations for a good starting point? The list: on LP, Beethoven's Stas. 17 and 18 (World Series) and, with Pablo Casals and the Prades Festival Or., a Bach clavier cto. (Columbia); on CD, with Ferenc Fricsay conducting various orchestras, the the Mozart 19th, 20th, and 27th Cti. (from one of the big Fricsay compilation boxes on DG); the Beethoven 4th Cto. with Mario Rossi and the RAI Turin Or. (a cheapie purveyor of drab transfers called History); and partnering Grumiaux in the Beethoven Vln. Stas. (Brilliant, from the big complete Beethoven box set).

George P likes this.
  12. George P

The works she has impressed me in are the Mozart piano concertos and the violin sonatas by Mozart and Beethoven with Grumiaux.

13. drh

drh Talking Machine

Hmmm...I'll admit Beethoven can be violent sometimes, but violent Mozart is something I must hear!

Autocorrect strikes again! :laugh:

Thanks, George!

TonyACT likes this.
  14. George P

Yes she really brings brings out the seething, inner beast of Amadeus. You really have to hear it!!

:winkgrin:

TonyACT and drh like this.
  15. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this recording

Bubbamike, TonyACT and Eigenvector like this.
  16. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying disc one from this set which I picked up today used. Excellent sound and performance!

TonyACT, Wes H, harvard75 and 3 others like this.
  17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Spinning-
    [​IMG]

TonyACT, Wes H and George P like this.
  18. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Just ordered, combining recent discussions on the piano and the DG series, 5 CDs:

[​IMG]

19. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this recent find in a local used store.

20. George P

I read a few weeks ago about a new mastering of the above set that reportedly had a more open sound, better piano tone. I checked it out on Spotify and sure enough, it does! Not a small difference either. And its in print and under $14 for a 2CD set new!

[​IMG] [​IMG]

If that wasn't cool enough, the new set adds over 41 minutes of additional Chopin performances, some live from 1949 and some (2) unpublished recordings of the Op. 25/3 etude and the Mazurka Op. 63/3. The latter two tracks were transferred by Mark Obert-Thorn, the live stuff by Andrew Halifax and the Nocturnes by Chris Bernauer.

For performance, sound, rarity and price, I highly recommend this 2 CD set.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
  21. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I would be interested in thoughts on Saint-Saens piano music and preferred performers in the repertoire if anyone is a fan.

22. Rose River Bear

Solo piano music?

TonyACT likes this.
  23. Rose River Bear

I like that set. Great recordings.

TonyACT likes this.
  24. Rose River Bear

Wow. I am almost afraid to ask what you paid for it. I paid $$$ when it first was released.

TonyACT likes this.
  25. Rose River Bear

Solo piano...cheap and fine performances. Everything is there.
    [​IMG]
    Piano and Orchestra
    [​IMG]

TonyACT likes this.